Thread: i want to add a sub and amp but have dsp.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i

i want to add a sub and amp but have dsp.

hey guys. im kinda new to car audio, have some experience but obviously not enough for this. my car has dsp and i want to add a kicker solar beric and a 1000 watt memphis amp. the components belonged to my dad and are in great condition. i hooked it up using a line out connector to what i assumed were the bass wires at the harness at the dsp amp. but almost immedatley smelled burning electrical. the sound was heavily distorted as well. i saw a video on you tube where a guy hooked his up the same way but, but the idk if he was pushing the same kind of power i am. i really dont want to melt down this speaker so if anyone has done this please let me know. thanks

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E39 forum from E39 common problems and DIY fixes
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Lots of threads on this subject! have a search around. Gather the information and understand it and then find a local reputable car audio installer and have them do all the work. 12V electrics when not done well, properly and correctly can cause car fires and once the insurance asses's that it was caused by owner installed faulty wiring, they'll most likely not pay out.

If you do go this route, then you'll have a very unbalanced setup. The amp you will use for the sub, if a 1000W RMS will totally drown out the OEM cabin speakers which will be running at about 7-15W RMS. To compensate, you'll turn down the bass level and gains on the amp, and that negates what you are doing. You need to amplify and run more capable cabin speakers in order to get a more balanced sounding setup and again, plenty of threads on how to do that.

Cheers, Dennis!