Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 prices

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchu View Post
    So question..... what is a very nice well maintained 200k mile car stock with most everything important replaced at least once worth? All records from new, CA car...... seems after the 200k mark prices fall off a cliff. I just redid the head gasket as they just need it done after that long and the hone marks were still present in the cylinders. The head rebuild only needed exhaust guides after all those miles. I've had a lot of german iron BMW's/Porsches over the years and it seems these cars are in the sweet spot of quality for BMW.

My E90 I have to wonder sometimes..... where BMW lost its way.
    I think you'd be lucky to get $4,500 from your insurance company if you got totaled. That's what I was offered the last time (when I was in the 200k ballpark).

As for selling it, I think the cosmetics, details (and dates) would matter a decent amount in coming up with a "what should I list it for?" type of number here or on another enthusiast forum.

In my opinion, someone buying an M3 with that kind of mileage is a little different than a normal person buying a normal car at similar mileage. They're looking for a cheap entry point to either race or for their kid to drive (or themselves if they're a kid and have crazy or inattentive parents). I'm crazy like the rest of you, but this is the kind of car I would be interested in buying for my kids once they are old enough to drive.

The "normal" bolt-ons would likely add (at least a little) value vs the opposite for the super low mileage cars that have been kept original, since most of these people are probably interested in playing with the car. But I'd still draw the line somewhere before the Altezza tail lights (i.e. M50 intake, the infamous CAI, exhaust, possibly coil overs and camber plates if they're not the super cheap ones).

Good compression numbers and a decent oil analysis would also help get better value.

Ultimately, it comes down to your options, upgrades, maintenance - and finding a buyer who values what you've got.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    If future resale isn't a consideration, then I don't mind a car that's been modified or even a rebuilt title (just show records proving there was no frame damage and I won't mind). The folks that are considering e36 M3s as an investment are of a different mindset, they want matching vin numbers on all the body panels and such, low mileage, all stock parts etc.
    I think prices for BaT worthy cars will appreciate a little more, but it won't be the sort of appreciation that the e46 M3 market will probably experience.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I dunno, I think the nice "collector" E36's will continue to appreciate just as well as similar E46's. They are older, and may be rarer as a result. Collecting isn't just about performance. Of course, LTW and Euro E36's will be even more bonkers. Especially once all the Euros are able to be imported into the US over the next several years.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    see my signature
    I'm about to put my '99 M3 back up for sale soon. I'm in Arizona so you'd have to factor in shipping (I won't let you drive it home lol). Just got new tires last weekend for the Contours, haven't even put them on yet. 89,600 miles, Fern Green over Sand Beige. Paint corrected, full cooling and ignition overhaul with less than a couple hundred miles on everything. I have a build thread and for sale thread someplace, and walk around videos on YouTube including compression test videos. I just bought my 20th BMW, and have 6 of them right now... I need to get rid of at least one of them, and the M3 never comes out of the garage so... (the $8000 HREs in the 1st photo are being sold separately BTW)

Last edited by Chamberlin; 09-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    98 & 99 M3, '06 E60M5S3
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I think you'd be lucky to get $4,500 from your insurance company if you got totaled. That's what I was offered the last time (when I was in the 200k ballpark).

As for selling it, I think the cosmetics, details (and dates) would matter a decent amount in coming up with a "what should I list it for?" type of number here or on another enthusiast forum.

In my opinion, someone buying an M3 with that kind of mileage is a little different than a normal person buying a normal car at similar mileage. They're looking for a cheap entry point to either race or for their kid to drive (or themselves if they're a kid and have crazy or inattentive parents). I'm crazy like the rest of you, but this is the kind of car I would be interested in buying for my kids once they are old enough to drive.

The "normal" bolt-ons would likely add (at least a little) value vs the opposite for the super low mileage cars that have been kept original, since most of these people are probably interested in playing with the car. But I'd still draw the line somewhere before the Altezza tail lights (i.e. M50 intake, the infamous CAI, exhaust, possibly coil overs and camber plates if they're not the super cheap ones).

Good compression numbers and a decent oil analysis would also help get better value.

Ultimately, it comes down to your options, upgrades, maintenance - and finding a buyer who values what you've got.
    This is exactly how I got wrapped up in this fun. We picked up a 98 with 400k miles, very well kept though, for $3k. It's my son's car, he gets his license in under a year and the car somewhat fell into our laps via a family friend. As a result of all the fun he and I have had working on it, I went ahead and bought one for myself (the 30k mile silver one from BAT recently). Honestly, the interior color (gray/black) I was unsure about, but it's grown on me and as long as it's clean I think it looks very sharp.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Once you pass a certain threshold miles-wise, the "normal" mods don't impact value anymore. SSK, M50 intake, etc just aren't bringing the value down on a 150k+ vehicle.

And once you pass 200k, it's basically just scrap value.

The only reason I care what our cars are selling for is for insurance purposes. I've almost been screwed on two minor accidents (not my fault) where both insurance companies wanted to total the car, and having healthy comps at hand is a huge asset in fighting with them. You'd think your maintenance log would be worth something, but I've found it only matters to them as a metric for them to judge how much you'll be fighting against them. They've told me flat-out that they don't care about maintenance - only miles and cosmetic condition.

In any case, it's a good thing for anyone that has one that they're finally starting to appreciate.
    I had Haggerty approve and insure my 97 m3 for $30k, makes me feel better if it's gets stolen or written off
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Gonz View Post
    This is exactly how I got wrapped up in this fun. We picked up a 98 with 400k miles, very well kept though, for $3k. It's my son's car, he gets his license in under a year and the car somewhat fell into our laps via a family friend. As a result of all the fun he and I have had working on it, I went ahead and bought one for myself (the 30k mile silver one from BAT recently). Honestly, the interior color (gray/black) I was unsure about, but it's grown on me and as long as it's clean I think it looks very sharp.
    This is great to hear!

Oddly, I ought to be handing off my car to my daughter and looking for a new, low-mileage one for myself- but I could never bring myself to give this one up after everything I've put into it. I'm reasonably certain whatever I get for my kids will actually have far fewer miles than my car does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    I had Haggerty approve and insure my 97 m3 for $30k, makes me feel better if it's gets stolen or written off
    I've talked to them. You can't DD a car AND have a stated value policy. It's one or the other.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    This is great to hear!

Oddly, I ought to be handing off my car to my daughter and looking for a new, low-mileage one for myself- but I could never bring myself to give this one up after everything I've put into it. I'm reasonably certain whatever I get for my kids will actually have far fewer miles than my car does.

- - - Updated - - -

I've talked to them. You can't DD a car AND have a stated value policy. It's one or the other.
    Yea mine is only for cruises, nice days and such. They told me I can't DD it which is fine. I think I only drove it 600miles this year.
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Yea mine is only for cruises, nice days and such. They told me I can't DD it which is fine. I think I only drove it 600miles this year.
    You're lucky! I'd lose at least $10k if my car was totaled.

Actually, if that did happen I'd buy it back and likely spend 3 months swapping everything over to the new car.

Neither alternative is especially attractive.

I've thought occasionally about getting something to daily. But that just doesn't make sense to me.

Why would I want to drive something else? And how would having a second M3 help anything?

My Cars
    98 M3
    I've thought occasionally about getting something to daily. But that just doesn't make sense to me.

Why would I want to drive something else? And how would having a second M3 help anything?
    I'm with you on that sentiment. I've got a 323iT for a daily, but I drive it less than 1/2 of the time I drive the M3.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring

I solved that dilemma by importing an E30 touring, which is probably worth more than my M3, and certainly harder to replace. I daily the wagon mostly, it's pretty fun to drive, and it's easier to move stuff around in it due to the cargo capacity and 4 doors.

cIh89ZG.jpg
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 10-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    FWIW, I recently got State Farm to give me an antique/collectors policy on my 99 M3. $17K agreed value. The understanding is I don't daily drive it, and mileage is no more than 2500 or so per year. I probably drive it once or twice a week, usually to go grab lunch somewhere close by (I work from home), to occasionally drive 4 miles to the park and ride for when I do go into the office, or to go out someplace on a weekend. I also track it occasionally, but that's irrelevant to my primary insurer since I get track insurance for that. Best part is the premium is dirt cheap, like $300 per YEAR.

That said, it wasn't easy. Lots of back and forth with pictures, description of mods, receipts, etc... Took a couple months to get it sorted out and approved.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    FWIW, I recently got State Farm to give me an antique/collectors policy on my 99 M3. $17K agreed value. The understanding is I don't daily drive it, and mileage is no more than 2500 or so per year. I probably drive it once or twice a week, usually to go grab lunch somewhere close by (I work from home), to occasionally drive 4 miles to the park and ride for when I do go into the office, or to go out someplace on a weekend. I also track it occasionally, but that's irrelevant to my primary insurer since I get track insurance for that. Best part is the premium is dirt cheap, like $300 per YEAR.

That said, it wasn't easy. Lots of back and forth with pictures, description of mods, receipts, etc... Took a couple months to get it sorted out and approved.
    Oh man, I wish! I do about 15k per year - I'd need 6 to rotate through to keep them all under 2500 annually!

My Cars
    E36, E6, G80
    Bought a 65k example for $24k. It was immaculate and fully documented so I figured it saved me a few weekends of deep detailing.

Probably overpaid, but it was the nicest e36 I've seen in years and nearly exactly the dream build I wanted (preferred 1998.5 in Titanium Silver and fold down seats and no wing while the car is a 12/97 build in Arctic Silver with a wing)

It did need a few things like tires and new headliner. The 5th gear shifter gate is also sticky while the clutch was replaced 10k miles ago and the shop didn't know to do the bushings at the same time.

I'm doing a few other preventative maintenance things like brakes, RTAB, and RSM.

IMG_20180915_134857.jpg
    IMG_20180915_142729.jpg

It's going to become one of the daily drivers in my rotation of cars and I don't commute for work much (work at home) so the miles will remain low. Plan to keep the car as stock as possible except for RSM, RTAB, and speakers (Bav Sound kit). Also installing a Euro BMW headunit from a newer car (Becker 7969)

Quote Originally Posted by roberttran View Post
    Bought a 65k example for $24k. It was immaculate and fully documented so I figured it saved me a few weekends of deep detailing.

Probably overpaid, but it was the nicest e36 I've seen in years and nearly exactly the dream build I wanted (preferred 1998.5 in Titanium Silver and fold down seats and no wing while the car is a 12/97 build in Arctic Silver with a wing)

It did need a few things like tires and new headliner. The 5th gear shifter gate is also sticky while the clutch was replaced 10k miles ago and the shop didn't know to do the bushings at the same time.

I'm doing a few other preventative maintenance things like brakes, RTAB, and RSM.

IMG_20180915_134857.jpg
    IMG_20180915_142729.jpg

It's going to become one of the daily drivers in my rotation of cars and I don't commute for work much (work at home) so the miles will remain low. Plan to keep the car as stock as possible except for RSM, RTAB, and speakers (Bav Sound kit). Also installing a Euro BMW headunit from a newer car (Becker 7969)
    i almost have your ideal car. 98.5 titanium with fold down seats but with a wing! drove it this weekend - 73k miles. i have the dinan suspension, exhaust, air intake, UUC short shifter and BBS RCs. a dream to drive!

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    I solved that dilemma by importing an E30 touring, which is probably worth more than my M3, and certainly harder to replace. I daily the wagon mostly, it's pretty fun to drive, and it's easier to move stuff around in it due to the cargo capacity and 4 doors.
    LOL--I love it when the "solution" is just an excuse to grow the collection. That touring is awesome!
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in some time and haven't been following the market. Can someone give me an idea of what my car is worth in today's market for possible sale and/or insurance purposes? '98.5 Estoril/Black 5sp w 120K miles. All stock, except Stromung.

Last edited by RND1; 10-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    $14-$17k

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    $14-$17k
    Thanks - I have it insured for $15K so sounds like I'm in the ballpark.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah I was gonna say in the ballpark of $15K. Nice car, especially the interior. I need to re-cover my poor front seats at some point. The bolster started to tear last year before I glued it back together.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RND1 View Post
    Thanks - I have it insured for $15K so sounds like I'm in the ballpark.
    Might want to go $20k+. There are some real shit cars selling on BaT for $17,500 as of late.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Might want to go $20k+. There are some real shit cars selling on BaT for $17,500 as of late.
    Good to know. I haven't looked at BAT in a while either, but it always seemed like our cars didn't do well there (going back a year or so). Is that starting to change?

Has anyone done a complete renovation of an e36 like people have done with the e30s? Wld love to know what one wld sell for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyN F355 View Post
    Has anyone done a complete renovation of an e36 like people have done with the e30s? Wld love to know what one wld sell for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=594122

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Deals are out there, you just have to be patient. I don't think these will ever hit E30 prices (god I hope not, I need a supply of track cars and parts lol) because there were a lot more of them imported into the US.

I do agree with the thought that E30 prices are having an impact as buyers that cannot afford will turn to the next reasonable alternative to satiate their BMW desires for less than ~$20k

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast