Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 prices

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw

E36 M3 prices

I'm in the market to buy a E36 M3 and can't believe how much these cars have went up in price over the last 10 years. Almost no one can afford a E30 M3 and it seems this has driven the price on e36s up. I recently sold my mint black on black E39 540i 6 spd and hadn't paid any attention to the market and now I'm hunting all around the country to find a clean, well maintained car and its a daunting task. It seems almost every car has either been in wrecks or has rust on it. The ones that don't, are going for a ton of money. Think they will keep going up in price?

My Cars
    '95 M3 Mugello/Black
    since you're in WA you could try taking advantage of the weak Canadian dollar? I saw a clean 60K-mile Estoril going for 15K USD

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1370871303

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Toronto is a long way from Seattle.

To the OP, yes the clean moderate/low mileage cars will continue to go up in value. Right now a clean 100K mile car can push $20K, and 150K can get to $15K or so if it's nice.

As with almost any car, you'll get the best deal if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and willing to buy a car with some issues that you will fix yourself. If it were me, I'd look for a car that's as clean as possible cosmetically (especially the paint/body) since that's generally hard do DIY and very expensive to get done right. Maybe it has some leaks, or needs a new clutch or diff, or needs some other work. That can lower the price a lot and as long as the engine internals are fine it's typically all easily within the DIY realm. Also, look for higher mileage cars that have been taken care of or have had recent major refreshes. Mileage is less of a concern if you've got an owner who's been proactive about replacing worn out mounts, bushings, ball joints, gaskets, seals, and various other wear items. The engine will easily go several hundred thousand miles without needing a rebuild or the head pulled if taken care of, so really it's the other stuff that you need to worry about on a high mileage car. Or, if you're really adventurous you can get a super bargain if you can find an otherwise-clean car with a dead engine needing a swap or rebuild. Good running S52's can be had for $2K or so and like-for-like motor swaps aren't really that complicated on these cars.

So yeah, the more work you're willing to do the more chances you're going to have to find a good deal.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 09-23-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 Euro Sport Twin Screw
    ^

I agree with that philosophy, but with that being said it's still not easy find the right candidate. For some reason there is a shortage of clean m's in the PNW right now. Don't think I've come across any 100k cars that fetched $20 grand.. but it would not surprise me if that's the direction it's heading in.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Bring a trailer is a good metric of actual sales since they tend to feature the best cars. Agreed that $20K for a 100K car is....unrealistic. Sub 50K mile cars are over $20K though.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e36-m3/

Don't forget inflation...what was a $10K car in 2008 is now $12K. The car is not going to appreciate forever because they made a ton of them and the e46/e92 are still above it price wise.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah, anything under or near 100K is "low mileage" at this point on a 20-25 year old car. I don't think I've seen any of those break $20K, but what I meant was that they're pushing in that direction. I recall seeing some very nice cars in the 80-100K range go for $16-19K over the past year or two. You get under 50-60K and then the prices get silly. I think the best bang for the buck is going to be in cars between 100-150K, if you can find any which haven't been hacked to death by kids or stanced or whatever. There just aren't a lot left, especially because 5-10 years ago you could pick them up for well under $10K. Many people bought them because they were cheap and treated them like a $10K Kia. Now people figured out that the nice ones are rare enough to collect.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 09-24-2018 at 12:26 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    All of the sporty cars from the 90s are starting to go up in value. Those that grew up in that time (like me) and idolized those cars are now nearing 40, probably doing fairly well financially, have a settled home life, and are looking to rekindle some of that youth. The Japanese stuff from the 90s are going up a lot too.

I agree that cars in the 100-150k mile range are probably the best buys. Dropping below the magic 100k isn't going to get you a significantly better car IMHO, but there's a psychological factor that drives the price up a lot. My car's got 126k and I've been keeping an eye on comparables on BAT, and they seem to be going for ~$12-15k or so depending on condition and spec.

Cars in the 70-100k range are probably in need of some refreshing that may not have been done yet because it hasn't gotten bad enough. Cars in the 120-150k might be fresher, because things have degraded a bit more and been replaced. I'm thinking specifically about things like suspension bushings, ball joints, etc. The one thing a lower mileage car may have going for it is fewer mechanics mucking with it...but if it's done well, I think the bang for your buck is probably best on a well maintained low 100k miler over a 70-100k miler.
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 09-25-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    You guys would freak out if I listed my car...lol Granted, it's probably a very small market, but it's a great car. 6 speed, supercharged, 3.38, BBS wheels, 77K miles, original owner... lol (just not as good as my C7 Z51 Corvette...)
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    You guys would freak out if I listed my car...lol Granted, it's probably a very small market, but it's a great car. 6 speed, supercharged, 3.38, BBS wheels, 77K miles, original owner... lol (just not as good as my C7 Z51 Corvette...)
    You'd probably freak out if I listed my car, too - once you saw the mileage. 232k miles, nearly everything except the motor and tranny replaced at least once. Which has made for ample opportunity to upgrade almost everything. 3.38 as well, ZHP steering rack, and almost everything else you'd expect of someone who ought to be DDing an F80 (or honestly, anything built in the last decade).

RRSperry, I'm sure your price would make our eyes water. But you'd probably have pitchforks ready for me after seeing what it would take for me to let mine go, too.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah mine's also essentially a one owner car (father, then me), though it's got 148K miles. I also take it to the track, because racecar. I don't really care about value other than for insurance purposes, because it's never going to be sold. I've spent way too many hours lying on my back under this car replacing/upgrading/strengthening basically everything apart from the motor/trans.

That said, I've kept it looking absolutely stock inside and out (except for my Apex wheels). All the stuff I've done to it is underneath, mostly in the suspension. If for some reason I did want to sell it, I could reverse everything important back to stock (though it would be a pain in the ass).

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    It will be interesting to monitor values for modified/improved cars vs totally stock ones as these cars get older. Japanese cars too. Tuner culture really took off in the late 90s/early 2000s when the internet got big and everyone could post/read on forums and buy parts with a click. Not many stock cars left.

There will be buyers who want cars to be as virgin and "as designed" as possible. And there will be those who want the cars to be the best they can be, which arguably means mods/improvements.

Today, it seems like totally original cars in good condition consistently get more money than modified ones. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues. I suspect it will.

I have done mild mods (xenon retrofit, suspension, 3 spoke wheel, ZHP shifter/M boot, exhaust) that I felt were important to my enjoyment of the car, but not everyone's tastes are the same. I'd expect to get more money for the car if it were totally stock.
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 09-25-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    stock / unmodified examples will always bring more money IMHO, esp when they made quite a lot of these cars and most are modified somehow.

My Cars
    1984 633Csi,1988 535IS, 2000MRdastr,1973 914 Porsc
    I think I am a little older than most of you. I own another BMW that is 99% original. The expression I always judge a car by is "It is only original once"! I do not presently own an E 36 M3. I did purchase new and own for 14 yrs a Z3 MRoadster. I am going to look at a 111,000 mile auto 3/4 tomorrow.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Once you pass a certain threshold miles-wise, the "normal" mods don't impact value anymore. SSK, M50 intake, etc just aren't bringing the value down on a 150k+ vehicle.

And once you pass 200k, it's basically just scrap value.

The only reason I care what our cars are selling for is for insurance purposes. I've almost been screwed on two minor accidents (not my fault) where both insurance companies wanted to total the car, and having healthy comps at hand is a huge asset in fighting with them. You'd think your maintenance log would be worth something, but I've found it only matters to them as a metric for them to judge how much you'll be fighting against them. They've told me flat-out that they don't care about maintenance - only miles and cosmetic condition.

In any case, it's a good thing for anyone that has one that they're finally starting to appreciate.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    All of the sporty cars from the 90s are starting to go up in value. Those that grew up in that time (like me) and idolized those cars are now nearing 40, probably doing fairly well financially, have a settled home life, and are looking to rekindle some of that youth. The Japanese stuff from the 90s are going up a lot too.

I agree that cars in the 100-150k mile range are probably the best buys. Dropping below the magic 100k isn't going to get you a significantly better car IMHO, but there's a psychological factor that drives the price up a lot. My car's got 126k and I've been keeping an eye on comparables on BAT, and they seem to be going for ~$12-15k or so depending on condition and spec.

Cars in the 70-100k range are probably in need of some refreshing that may not have been done yet because it hasn't gotten bad enough. Cars in the 120-150k might be fresher, because things have degraded a bit more and been replaced. I'm thinking specifically about things like suspension bushings, ball joints, etc. The one thing a lower mileage car may have going for it is fewer mechanics mucking with it...but if it's done well, I think the bang for your buck is probably best on a well maintained low 100k miler over a 70-100k miler.
    i think you make a good point and im a great example. bought a pretty clean 4 door off BaT for 11k and ive spent another 25k refreshing it. i know have a next to new car thats driving perfectly. i will never get my money back but its as close to being new as i can get.

My Cars
    edirtysex
    I bought my first BMW ever in 2005. It was a 1995 M3 black on black, stick, 178k for $8500. Second one I bought in 2006, this time 1996 M3, boston green on modena, stick 52k for $12,500. 13 years later, prices are pretty much the same on 100k+ cars and way more on lower mileage ones. Seems like for M3s the sweet spot to get them is when they are 8-10 years old, fully depreciated and you can still enjoy them for another 10 years after purchase without too many issues. Sell when they are about 20 years old as parts become expensive and you start having to worry about 20 year old rubber pieces in places where you normally don't mess with.
    '95 M3 cosmos, sold
    '96 M3 boston gree, sold
    '00 M5 jet black, sold
    '01 M3 Ti Silver, sold
    '07 335i jet black, sold
    '00 M5 Silver, sold
    '03 M5 Carbon sold
    '02 M5 Carbon black, sold
    '97 M3, white, sold
    '02 M5 Sterling gray, sold
    '03 530xi wagon, sold
    '91 M5 black, sold
    '99 M3 cosmos, sold
    '11 335i, gray, sold
    '09 M3 silverstone, sold
    '02 330i, sold
    '02 M3, steel gray, sold
    '02 325xi, BSM, sold
    '09 335, Montego, sold
    '97 M3, dakar II, current
    '97 M3 estoril

My Cars
    99 M3
    I've been watching BaT for the last year. I keep watching e36 and e46 M prices.

What I've noticed, in general, is that modded cars sell for less as do auto/SMG cars and convertibles. SMG convertibles seem to consistently sell for a lot less. Not always of course, but in general. The e36 M's that are getting high dollar are generally very clean and excellent examples thare are un-modded cars with <60k miles and are Southern or CA cars.

e46 M prices are all over depending on options, mileage, and so on. Some low mileage cars I've seen sell for <$20K and one well optioned car with I think 36K miles was over $50K.

I think I recently saw where Hagerty listed the e36 M3 as a top 8 collector car, or that it said this car has made the collector car list.

I keep toying with the idea of selling my well maintained, completely stock, 99 M3. I'm the third owner and I bought it from a family member. I still like the car too much though. It fits me and my driving style perfectly. Sure that old guy in the Camry can beat me, but I will have more fun.

My mechanic has offered to buy it from me. He only works on German cars and has worked on my last 3 BMW's. I guess I'm just not ready to sell it though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
    I've been watching BaT for the last year. I keep watching e36 and e46 M prices.

What I've noticed, in general, is that modded cars sell for less as do auto/SMG cars and convertibles. SMG convertibles seem to consistently sell for a lot less. Not always of course, but in general. The e36 M's that are getting high dollar are generally very clean and excellent examples thare are un-modded cars with <60k miles and are Southern or CA cars.

e46 M prices are all over depending on options, mileage, and so on. Some low mileage cars I've seen sell for <$20K and one well optioned car with I think 36K miles was over $50K.

I think I recently saw where Hagerty listed the e36 M3 as a top 8 collector car, or that it said this car has made the collector car list.

I keep toying with the idea of selling my well maintained, completely stock, 99 M3. I'm the third owner and I bought it from a family member. I still like the car too much though. It fits me and my driving style perfectly. Sure that old guy in the Camry can beat me, but I will have more fun.

My mechanic has offered to buy it from me. He only works on German cars and has worked on my last 3 BMW's. I guess I'm just not ready to sell it though.

how many miles? im looking for a silver 99 with less than 30k miles

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyN F355 View Post
    how many miles? im looking for a silver 99 with less than 30k miles
    This car is not for you. Just under 120K.
    Be sure to keep your eyes on BaT. A 99 silver with 31k sold last month for about $20k.
    Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
    This car is not for you. Just under 120K.
    Be sure to keep your eyes on BaT. A 99 silver with 31k sold last month for about $20k.
    Good luck in your search.
    yep it had a white interior so i didnt try for it

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyN F355 View Post
    yep it had a white interior so i didnt try for it
    Yeah, I wouldn't want that either. Mine is black/black with (still) nice vaders. White and dove gray don't seem to be too popular I guess. Or tan. I had a 98 with gray interior and really never liked it. I'm going to go check BaT now. It's my crack...

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    I've had mine for 12 years now and it's just about to hit 200k miles. I don't know if I'll ever sell it. I always look at new cars and think, it'd be nice to have that...but after driving my car, I couldn't imagine driving a different car.

I'm still on my original clutch too, although the TOB is starting to get a bit chatty.

My Cars
    98 m3, 00 525i
    Yes. You need to pay 15k for a clean one with under 130k miles. Unless it’s an automatic. Automatics can be had VERY cheap, compared to a 5 speed.

My Cars
    '95 M3,'10 335i
    So question..... what is a very nice well maintained 200k mile car stock with most everything important replaced at least once worth? All records from new, CA car...... seems after the 200k mark prices fall off a cliff. I just redid the head gasket as they just need it done after that long and the hone marks were still present in the cylinders. The head rebuild only needed exhaust guides after all those miles. I've had a lot of german iron BMW's/Porsches over the years and it seems these cars are in the sweet spot of quality for BMW.

My E90 I have to wonder sometimes..... where BMW lost its way.

My Cars
    E28, 97' M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by malter View Post
    I bought my first BMW ever in 2005. It was a 1995 M3 black on black, stick, 178k for $8500. Second one I bought in 2006, this time 1996 M3, boston green on modena, stick 52k for $12,500. 13 years later, prices are pretty much the same on 100k+ cars and way more on lower mileage ones. Seems like for M3s the sweet spot to get them is when they are 8-10 years old, fully depreciated and you can still enjoy them for another 10 years after purchase without too many issues. Sell when they are about 20 years old as parts become expensive and you start having to worry about 20 year old rubber pieces in places where you normally don't mess with.
    I agree with this. Ive had mine for about 10 years. I always felt 12/13K was/is the sweet spot as far getting something in good shape with low-ish mileage.

The good deals are out there and sometimes you can get just get super lucky.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast