Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 prices

My Cars
    E36
    e36 m3 prices seem to have gone down but I think it will jump back up in a couple of years. I purchased my 98 hellrot m3/4/5 with 186k miles for $4.9k. A couple of things needed attention but overall solid car.

My Cars
    98 M3
    You seem to have just decided to ignore absolutely all data and information around you other than the purchase price of your own car, to come to that conclusion.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    You seem to have just decided to ignore absolutely all data and information around you other than the purchase price of your own car, to come to that conclusion.
    Pretty much this.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1993E36M3 View Post
    I just bought a 1993 e36 m3 5 speed for 2,000 all i had to do is put a battery and alternator in. Did i score or ooverpay? Also is ther any prevenative measures that are a must with theses cars? Idk what breaks first
    You bought a 3-series, not an M3.

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    One which had a coveted 5-speed swap.

Edit - nevermind, just remembered they were 5 speeds until 95 or 96.
    1996 introduced the M3 Evo which were offered in 6MT and SMGI.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    You bought a 3-series, not an M3.
    I couldn't decide whether he was in Europe at first, but he seems to have filled in his location as "Texas."

1993 was the first model year for the E36 M3, but running European cars are significantly more expensive than $2000. In fact, just shipping from Germany would be significantly more than that.

Something definitely isn't lining up...

As for overpaying, I think $2000 for a running car is a good deal even if it wasn't an M3. It would have been a steal if it was an M3, but there's a relatively small chance of that...

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '62 Lotus Elite,

"And once you pass 200k, it's basically just scrap value."

So question..... what is a very nice well maintained 200k mile car stock with most everything important replaced at least once worth? All records from new, CA car...... seems after the 200k mark prices fall off a cliff.

I have a completely modified rust free '95 M3 with documentation that I have been offered $10K for so go up from there.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    You have a 200k mile '95 you've been offered $10k for? I'd take that in a heartbeat.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    '95 M3, '62 Lotus Elite,
    Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    You have a 200k mile '95 you've been offered $10k for? I'd take that in a heartbeat.
    It's too much fun!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomerbimmer View Post
    It's too much fun!
    I can’t think of too many more cars for $10k that are better. Keep it, it’ll be worth more later. It’s not like this is an investment. Enjoy the car and if you decide to sell I think you’ll sell it well.

Oh and if the 200k mark is where prices fall I guess I have nothing to worry about. I’m at 194k I think lol.
    Last edited by propcar; 10-31-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomerbimmer View Post
    It's too much fun!
    I'm at 233k today, and if offered $10k - or even $15k - I'd turn it down, too.

Given the time and money I'd have to spend to buy another one and update / upgrade it into this kind of condition, and the fact that anything newer or faster ls also heavier and more isolated (and more expensive and difficult to work on), I continue to NOT be interested in anything else.

I can't think of anything else that would both be this fun to drive and also have such a large selection of aftermarket upgrades I so endlessly could tinker with.

And people are still making NEW things for this platform (various suspension options like the Garagistic offset RTAB bushings (which were exactly what I needed and I just recently installed) and the RHD ITB kit (which I desperately want but can't justify yet) come to mind).

I struggle deciding what I should do with the car at times, but I love that blank canvas aspect to it, too. I can put the decision off until my thinking crystallizes or a failure forces my hand, but evolving it into what I want it to be is the real beauty of it, and can't imagine any other platform - ANY other platform - allowing me that freedom.

Do I move forward with the planned cams / 3.5" MAF / 24lb injectors work, or do I just take it easy and wait for one of those components to fail first?

When the engine dies, do I do an LS swap? S54? Fully built S52 that drops right in and requires as little maintenance as the original engine has needed - while still delivering almost 300 whp?

Do I do a 6 speed swap now or wait for the tranny to go? Do I up the ante from the current 3.38 after that happens?

Texas is damn hot - I'd love to vent my hood, but it also rains a lot here. Can I get away with vents without ruining something underhood? Should I just do an oil cooler? And even if I do, will I come back to the vents again later?

Can I live with a factory LTW front splitter on this mostly DD car? Would I be able to keep from ripping it off? Even if I can manage, does it make it so delicate I can't let my wife drive it anymore?

Would an LTW high wing work on my sedan? I've seen some in person and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Do I finally go all in and get some flares so I can run some wider tires and finish the whole race car look? (and just how much of a race car do I really want, anyway?) And which approach to pick: E46 M3 flares welded on, ABS flares riveted on, or a full widebody - and do I want to try to make the PTG kit work on my sedan, hope Felony Form finally finishes their sedan kit, or try something a bit nuts like the Rocket Bunny kit - on a sedan?

I'm sure I've forgotten half of what I'm contemplating, but how could you ever get bored with this many options to choose from? This is about as close to owning an adult-sized box of Legos as I can imagine, with the added benefit that I get to play engineer and see how each new thing impacts performance, curb appeal, and my driving and owning enjoyment.

And maybe that's the best thing about it being a 233k mile car - there's no value left to destroy, so no one is crying about what I'm choosing to do with my car.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    M3
    I have a 1995 M3 that I've put 20k in parts (not including labor) into in the last couple of years. I know I will never see my money back and I should probably be leasing a new 911 or have a 997.1 GT3 with a sunroof in the stable but this car is the best car I've felt become an extension of my hand without the hand being too big...

I can't put it into words but a supercharged E36 M3 with a decent suspension set up in the winter with about 50 degree weather (no heat soak) is the most comfortable I've felt speeding in a long time not that I speed much anymore...

I'll probably own it forever I hope. I'm just so happy I have this car.
    95 Cosmos

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    FWIW I purchased my M3 in Lake City, WA in 2011 for $6,000 with 162,000 miles on it. It was mostly stock, save a Dinan exhaust and CAI (and a clutch stop that was so far out that you never ever fully disengaged...). Over the next two years and about $10,000 all in I think I had an M3 that was "perfect" to me (daily driver but refreshed for track use, obviously with that clutch stop adjusted and a new clutch lol). This of course doesn't account for the time it took me and the cost of tools to do all the maintenance. But I really enjoy that stuff and it makes the "worth" of the car more to me. I just hit 193,000 miles and redid my head gasket last year, and continue to occasionally go to open track days with 0 issues. My plan is to FI around the 200,000 mile mark and drive her forever. 250k and beyond!

I know it was a while ago but maybe that gives some insight into prices. It seems like I got a screaming deal but I still think the $10,000-12,000 range is the sweet spot for a fantastic E36 M3. If you are willing to save a few and do some work yourself then look for ones in the $6,000-8,000 range, just know it will probably even out to around $10,000 anyways. But that doesn't mean you can't spread that $10,000 total cost over a few years while driving and fixing her up.

I don't know if this will change, but I'm currently at a point where I don't see myself ever selling my M3. I'm just so happy I have it, and I don't think I would be bothered about spending $2,000 more than I "should have", while I'm still cruisin with her 10 years later
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Omairtheman1 View Post
    I have a 1995 M3 that I've put 20k in parts (not including labor) into in the last couple of years. I know I will never see my money back and I should probably be leasing a new 911 or have a 997.1 GT3 with a sunroof in the stable but this car is the best car I've felt become an extension of my hand without the hand being too big...

I can't put it into words but a supercharged E36 M3 with a decent suspension set up in the winter with about 50 degree weather (no heat soak) is the most comfortable I've felt speeding in a long time not that I speed much anymore...

I'll probably own it forever I hope. I'm just so happy I have this car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    FWIW I purchased my M3 in Lake City, WA in 2011 for $6,000 with 162,000 miles on it. It was mostly stock, save a Dinan exhaust and CAI (and a clutch stop that was so far out that you never ever fully disengaged...). Over the next two years and about $10,000 all in I think I had an M3 that was "perfect" to me (daily driver but refreshed for track use, obviously with that clutch stop adjusted and a new clutch lol). This of course doesn't account for the time it took me and the cost of tools to do all the maintenance. But I really enjoy that stuff and it makes the "worth" of the car more to me. I just hit 193,000 miles and redid my head gasket last year, and continue to occasionally go to open track days with 0 issues. My plan is to FI around the 200,000 mile mark and drive her forever. 250k and beyond!

I know it was a while ago but maybe that gives some insight into prices. It seems like I got a screaming deal but I still think the $10,000-12,000 range is the sweet spot for a fantastic E36 M3. If you are willing to save a few and do some work yourself then look for ones in the $6,000-8,000 range, just know it will probably even out to around $10,000 anyways. But that doesn't mean you can't spread that $10,000 total cost over a few years while driving and fixing her up.

I don't know if this will change, but I'm currently at a point where I don't see myself ever selling my M3. I'm just so happy I have it, and I don't think I would be bothered about spending $2,000 more than I "should have", while I'm still cruisin with her 10 years later
    Ironic that it's people like us that are driving the prices up.

But when owners won't sell cars for reasonable amounts, they either don't sell or they sell for unreasonable amounts.

People who get it will pay for a car that has had $15k in parts replaced in the last two-five years and almost not care about mileage. People who don't get it just think cars like ours are overpriced, and use the beat-to-hell garbage selling on Craigslist as proof.

I do think the $6k ballpark is fair for a car around 150k that has never been refreshed, but that number is climbing every day as the utter trash get parted out / drifted into oblivion, restored into a $10-$15k car, or turned into a $10-15k race car.

But the E36 M3 market is rapidly abandoning the "normal" valuation market where age and miles are the main determinants of value.

My Cars
    '95 M3,'10 335i
    I guess we'll see what a well maintained 200k mile car really goes for... . My car is ending on BAT today, no reserve. It will be a good data point for everyone.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchu View Post
    I guess we'll see what a well maintained 200k mile car really goes for... . My car is ending on BAT today, no reserve. It will be a good data point for everyone.
    $12K wow, nicely done!
    CBlock

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Wow, nicely done!

I think my car is clean, and then someone like you comes along. Wow, that thing looks fantastic! And that value just proves the point - these things are just getting harder to find in good condition with an owner willing to let it go.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    I paid $10K about a year ago for this one, which now has 113K miles. It's been repainted and has a replaced passenger door so it's no collectors dream. But the condition, upgrades and service history are impeccable. Kinda glad they aren't skyrocketing, since it makes a great garage decoration as a 3rd car.

dynamic.jpg

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3

New owner

Hi everyone. I just bought a 1995 E36 M3, 5 speed, black on black. I got it from the original owner with 125k miles on it. I had a PPI done, which showed just small maintenance items that are due. It also needs new tires soon. I paid 10k, which I think was good and I'll probably put approximately 2k into it right away (including tires). It's a great car and has been well cared for. Looking forward to many years of ownership. I'm happy I found this forum.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by M2toE36M3 View Post
    Hi everyone. I just bought a 1995 E36 M3, 5 speed, black on black. I got it from the original owner with 125k miles on it. I had a PPI done, which showed just small maintenance items that are due. It also needs new tires soon. I paid 10k, which I think was good and I'll probably put approximately 2k into it right away (including tires). It's a great car and has been well cared for. Looking forward to many years of ownership. I'm happy I found this forum.
    Congrats. There's lots of stuff here and on similar other forums from the last 15+ years or so with a wealth of information on basically everything you can do to the car. This subforum is also still pretty active with a number of very knowledgeable people who can address just about anything that you can't find in a diy article or the Bentley manual (which you should buy).
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 F31 328i Wagon
    I love that the prices are still reasonably low. But at the same time, I can't see myself selling mine for anything under a completely, utterly unreasonable amount. Why? Well, what else could I get that is this much fun? It is a really odd love affair for those who don't know these cars, but they are simply so fun to drive.

At the end of the day, I know they won't go down in value. Given that I have one, I also don't really care where they end up.
    Current: E36 BMW M3/4/5, F31 BMW 328i xDrive M Sport
    Past: Mk6 Golf R APR Stage 2, E30 325i/4/5, E36 328iS/2/5

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan of Montana View Post
    I can't see myself selling mine for anything under a completely, utterly unreasonable amount. Why? Well, what else could I get that is this much fun?
    This...especially after all the years/$$$ making it into what it is today...
    Last edited by Gene V; 11-20-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene V View Post
    This...especially after all the years/$$$ making it into what it is today...
    Agreed to all the above!

I just hope I don't ever HAVE to replace it!

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    So, what happened with this car? It looked like the winner of the auction bailed?

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RND1 View Post
    So, what happened with this car? It looked like the winner of the auction bailed?
    There was a pretty heavy battle there at the end - I'm sure the loser would be happy to get a second chance there.

Any update fumanchu?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Don’t mean to dig up a dead thread but I want some input. Who believes these cars have hit there ceiling for price or is the sky the limit. I understand a car is a very poor investment at the end of the day, but I currently own two m3s and I am really tossing around the idea of getting rid of one. Just want to see what others thought about the trend and where it might be going

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast