Thread: e46 K to CAN communication

My Cars
    01 330i, 2017 fiesta ST

e46 K to CAN communication

I hope this is the right place to post this but this seems like the spot with the most technical conversation and you guys might already have the interfaces or data that I need help with. So the background is that my speedo stopped working; so... why not create a digital speedo with a raspberry pi? I have a friend helping me with the coding and we have a good list of PIDs and are able to communicate with the CAN bus. same story with the K bus. The problem is since I do not have a working speedo we cannot read data bytes to emulate. Now to the request. I would be very grateful if someone could get me a string of data from the K bus showing at least the verification message from the IKE (80) to the broadcast (BF) and a message from the IKE to anything else. I would also appreciate some data from the CAN bus with the A/C both on and off. It would be best if the data was from an e46 but any data is better than no data Thank you very much for any help. Car is a 2001 330i.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by undeadcycle View Post
    I hope this is the right place to post this but this seems like the spot with the most technical conversation and you guys might already have the interfaces or data that I need help with. So the background is that my speedo stopped working; so... why not create a digital speedo with a raspberry pi? I have a friend helping me with the coding and we have a good list of PIDs and are able to communicate with the CAN bus. same story with the K bus. The problem is since I do not have a working speedo we cannot read data bytes to emulate. Now to the request. I would be very grateful if someone could get me a string of data from the K bus showing at least the verification message from the IKE (80) to the broadcast (BF) and a message from the IKE to anything else. I would also appreciate some data from the CAN bus with the A/C both on and off. It would be best if the data was from an e46 but any data is better than no data Thank you very much for any help. Car is a 2001 330i.

The speedometer is not driven on CAN on that car, it gets a pulsed signal from ABS/DSC.