Thread: Whirling noise when clutch pushed all the way In

My Cars
    E34

Whirling noise when clutch pushed all the way In

Was test driving an e36 with 118k on stock clutch and whenever i pushed it all the way down it would make a whirling noise, didn't hear anything when i initially depressed it or when i pushed it half way down. It has a clutch stop thing as well at the bottom but i noticed the plastic thing was broken not sure if the clutch is suppose to go farther then the clutch stop.

Also whenever it made the whirling noise you wouldn't be able to shift in any gear that's when you pushed the clutch all the way down like i mentioned above, but it would shift smoothly if u pushed it in halfway to the clutch stop. Not sure if it's the throwout bearing im guessing not... or maybe it is, either way its annoying if u push the clutch in hard all the way down u will end up grinding the gears/synchros
    Last edited by 240SS; 09-22-2018 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    If the stop is gone then the pressure plate fingers may be going in too far and could be contacting the clutch hub.

My Cars
    E34
    Quote Originally Posted by woody328is View Post
    If the stop is gone then the pressure plate fingers may be going in too far and could be contacting the clutch hub.
    Thx for the post, i think that may be it when i looked underneath at the pedals the upper part plastic was broken at the top not sure if the pedal is suppose to go in that deep when pressed either so maybe the clutch pedal assembly needs to be redone?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Unlikely it is a problem with pedal assembly.
    My vote is the due to broken clutch stop, pedal is going too far as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E34
    *BUMP* (for a slightly different question but i didn't want to create another thread for it)

So was test driving another e36 and i can't seem to get into 1st gear/1st gear grinds when going from 2nd -> 1st at like 10 mph with the clutch pushed in (yes i pushed the clutch all the way down when trying to go from 2nd -> 1st, but the gearbox wudn't let me engage 1st). Was worried i broke it, so i didn't bother trying to double clutch like when u put it from 2nd -> neutral -> 1st.

But what does this when i can't go into 1st gear when going 10 mph+ with clutch pushed in, gearbox is broken?

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    If I'm going 10+ I use second. Why go to first? I wouldn't be surprised if you can't go to 1st easily at much more than a roll. Sounds normal to me even though it's synchro'd. Did you try rev matching?

My Cars
    E34
    True but i was in traffic so it was force of habit lol.

What do u mean it's synchroed im guessing that it means the synchros are bad lmao.

No i didn't try rev matching because it wudn't go into 1st gear like i said but if u meant reving it in second then trying 1st no i didn't do that either.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    My first gear tops out at like 15-20 mph. Really doesnt like shifting into it unless im almost at a dead stop. Try double clutching next time

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi

Your rpm is too low. While holding clutch (coming from 2nd) blip the gas and try to go from 2nd to 1st

My Cars
    E34
    Um... Whats the significance of blipping the throttle when clutch/gearbox is disengaged it shudnt help me shift any smoother into first.. . Ill try double clutching it or whatnot next time

I think the synchro is toasted in first like the other guy mentioned

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi

Quote Originally Posted by 240SS View Post
    Um... Whats the significance of blipping the throttle when clutch/gearbox is disengaged it shudnt help me shift any smoother into first.. . Ill try double clutching it or whatnot next time

I think the synchro is toasted in first like the other guy mentioned
    Your rpm needs to be at a specific minimum in order to be able to go into first. If going from second to one the rpm needs to be 1.765 times higher if you want to downshift and continue driving the same speed. Please learn how to drive stick.
    Last edited by ultimatetester; 10-19-2018 at 02:40 PM.