Thread: Is there a Camshaft timing tool kit that comes with a crankshaft holder too?

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

Is there a Camshaft timing tool kit that comes with a crankshaft holder too?

If not, does anyone have a set of tools for rent or know where I can rent a set or buy the crank tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E38, b4 tdi
    I got crank tool (m62) 59 on eBay, worked fine. If you were closer I'd lend it

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740il
    This one has crank lock pin

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundaycruzer View Post
    This one has crank lock pin
    Sounds like the pin is just to set the engine at TDC. Not a substitute for a counter hold tool. Have you done the Guides and removed the Jesus bolt with just the pin in?

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by armiller1 View Post
    Sounds like the pin is just to set the engine at TDC. Not a substitute for a counter hold tool. Have you done the Guides and removed the Jesus bolt with just the pin in?

Yes I have, the key is 4ft. Breaker bar and slowly back off crank bolt. Think the cam bolts takes 110 fp. to torque that also transfers through crank lock too.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    You can buy the crank tool from a variety of vendors... I would never try to break the crank bolt loose with just the crank lock pin. Here’s a link to the tool:

https://www.germanspecialtytools.com...ant=6683516035

It’s well worth the few bucks it costs. For the timing tools themselves I use the GAS tools, they’re very easy to use and super accurate.

I say this as somebody that runs a shop that specializes in these jobs... I’m doing chain guide job #17 right now, and #18 is coming up shortly.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    You can buy the crank tool from a variety of vendors... I would never try to break the crank bolt loose with just the crank lock pin. Here’s a link to the tool:

It’s well worth the few bucks it costs. For the timing tools themselves I use the GAS tools, they’re very easy to use and super accurate.

I say this as somebody that runs a shop that specializes in these jobs... I’m doing chain guide job #17 right now, and #18 is coming up shortly.
    Definitely if doing it every day. I’ve done enough now guess I should buy one. Will admit that I’ve never used one.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post

Hey Danny! Thanks for the input. This is the engine going into the Range Rover I bought last year. Yeah, long story. It wasn’t the fuel pump. Haha. Anyway, I was hoping to rent all this stuff or borrow it from a local enthusiast, but I will probably just have to buy all the tools. It’s still a ton cheaper than paying a shop. I just worry about the final connections and start up. I may have to pay a shop to do that.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    These tools got quite cheap, no point renting them anymore. Buy it, use it and then sell it on Ebay. I have used this one for timing: https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Cam...8-3&ref=sr_1_3
    This is probably the cheapest crank holder tool: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ol-baum-112450

Dont use the pin for holding, not worth the risk.