Thread: e39 gong on ignition

My Cars
    2001 e39 525i

e39 gong on ignition

Hi Guys,

I would like to get some information about this sound what you can hear in this video at the 2. second.

What make this sound and can it be programmed with ncs or ista/p?

Thank you for you help!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    sound one has seems ilike telephone system noise, second noise gong is the noise when you leave the keys in the ignition, doors open etc. the third noise is when you head lights are on and you turn off the ignition. I removed the gong device so I do not key key in the ignition warning or door open warning. The headlights on noise still works I don't know if you can program out the first noise, but the others are safety warnings, probably not

My Cars
    2001 e39 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    sound one has seems ilike telephone system noise, second noise gong is the noise when you leave the keys in the ignition, doors open etc. the third noise is when you head lights are on and you turn off the ignition. I removed the gong device so I do not key key in the ignition warning or door open warning. The headlights on noise still works I don't know if you can program out the first noise, but the others are safety warnings, probably not
    Thank you for your help, it was the telephone you were right.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah for some noises you can code them in NCS...

Whats a bit surprising is that you turn them off in the light module. Thats' because the LCM is also the 'check control' module so sneakily in addition to "lights" it also does some other stuff you might not expect.

You can turn off seatbelt, key-in-ig-door-open, lights-left-on... as well as some other stuff you don't want to turn off / mess with (oil sensor failure warning, fuel injection failure warning...)

You can also 'define' 6 different gong sounds for each alert. One-bong vs long-tone vs double-ding etc. etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    z3
    I dont think all warnings can be disabled in NCS though, some when disabled still turn on, so there is likely more coding data that needs to be changed. I was able to disable my fasten seatbelt warning for example but cant get my washer fluid low to stay off (I added fluid and that fixed it but now I cant test the warning... D'oh!). Interestingly both my oil pressure and oil level warnings were set to nicht_aktiv... (i did re-enable those though)

GG do you know where to change the gong sound? There are like 20 unlabeled options for gongs/gong sounds. Id like to either disable entirely or make it so less urgent warnings dont share a gong with low oil pressure for example
    Dont mean to hijack but any good resources for learning what does what? Im pretty proficient at using NCS now, but not sure what some of those unlabelled parameters do
    Also dont euro tail lights run at a lower voltage than US lights because they dont have the side LEDs? I beleive this may be a PWM rear standing light option but have changed it and not noticed any differences and cant get a multimeter probe on the LED strip lights to test.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah often we are on our own for figuring out this stuff! Gotta do some trial and error often...

My experience w/ the gongs is that there's often 2 or 3 places you need to disable it. Maybe if you get the 'right one' its the 'first' setting and thats all you need but I generally try to turn them all off in sync....

The cluster has some (very few) 'warning' settings. The LCM has a lot more.

The LCM has some simple 'active / not active' warning settings that look like the obvious ones to turn off.

But in addition to this, the same warning - ex: 'seatbelt' - might also have one or more "check control" settings to turn off.

I believe if you dont turn those off it may not stop sending a K or I bus signal through the car that the cluster will pick up on, causing a warning to still occur.

I strongly suspect some of the duplication of settings are related to "high or low" aka perhaps 'the simple main setting works for low cluster cars, but the CC related settings are for high cluster cars' however I've never tested this theory with a low/high cluster car side by side. So I just turn them all off (or on, or to "option C" or whatever...)

I'm no LED expert so can't help on those...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I've never owned a BMW that had the low cluster...so I'm not sure (in the video the OP posted)...if the 1st sound (at 2 seconds into the video) is the phone...or the HOUR MEMO tone. Also, as it has been mentioned above, there are optional tone selections...so that may be why the 1st tone in the OP's video sounds different than the 1st tone in my video below.

In all of the high clusters I have had (e38/e39/e53) when you do the cluster GONG test (TEST 13)...the 1st tone you hear is the HOUR MEMO (3 bleep, bleep, bleep)...then you hear the Ice Warning gong, then the low fuel/CODE/Speed limit gong, then the Check Control (priority warning) gong:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-23-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 e39 525i
    Hi everybody,
    Thank you all for your help guys.
    Anybody knows what the correct name of the parameter in NCS of LCM module the light on annoying buzzer sound?
    Also cannot find with NCS Dummy...

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasv View Post
    Hi everybody,
    Thank you all for your help guys.
    Anybody knows what the correct name of the parameter in NCS of LCM module the light on annoying buzzer sound?
    Also cannot find with NCS Dummy...
    I don't have my diag computer next to me now but search for the text "warning" in NCSDummy. (assuming you have NCSDummy in English). I think most of them are described with that...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 e39 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I don't have my diag computer next to me now but search for the text "warning" in NCSDummy. (assuming you have NCSDummy in English). I think most of them are described with that...
    Ok, Thanks