Thread: Central locking issue

My Cars
    E36

Central locking issue

I'm experiencing a Central locking issue with my 96 Coupe. When I use my key in the door from the outside, it does not lock/unlock the other door. For example if I lock/unlock the driver's door, the passenger door does not unlock. And vice versa.

The trunk always locks and unlocks either way when a key is used in the door.

I hear a slight mechanical noise that comes from either the center or right of the car but I can't say if it is a normal sound, or related to my issue. It is sort of a click on, click off noise.

The lock button in the center console only locks/unlocks the trunk.

Is there a conclusive diagnosis based on these symptoms? All fuses under the hood are intact.

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    The door latch has a sensor ( in the verts ) and if that sensor isn’t pressed the locks won’t work on that door . Try pressing the little plastic bit on each door to figure out the one that’s defective . I’m using tape at the moment as a shim but plan on using jB weld to build it up . You will see it if it’s like the vert id check for it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You can test the door latch switch by opening the door (the foot well lights should come on), then while the door is still open press the micro switch with your finger, the lights should go out. You can also do continuity tests on that micro switch when/if you gain access to the ZKE module (usually behind the glove box). If the micro switches test good, then you might have some corrosion on your ZKE main board (that can be cleaned).

If you have a bad micro switch, be sure to read/watch and understand the guides on how to do it, there are some tricks (otherwise you can screw yourself).
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E36
    I just checked the car, and it does not seem like there are any footwell lights currently in there. Maybe this only came on facelift E36's? Or maybe the previous owner took them out. In any case, when i press the microswitch on each door, the window rolls up just like they do everytime I close the door.

Im also a bit confused about the continuity tests on the ZKE module that Eric mentioned.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    If you open both door independently and press the micro switch and the windows roll up then the switches are good.

Hard to tell what your problem is, either both door lock actuators are bad or something is up with the ZKE.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E36
    Any advice on what steps to take next? Would like to get this fixed.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You can either rebuild or replace the door lock actuators, there are now cheap aftermarket units on ebay that are brand new. You can also remove the ZKE and check/clean any oxide on the board (both sides).