Thread: F10 MPG Issues

My Cars
    2016 BMW 550I

F10 MPG Issues

So I’m new to this forum and I tired looking but couldn’t find anything that really answered my questions.

I have a 2016 BMW 550i m pack and given that it’s a v8 naturally I know it will burn a lot of fuel. But it seems like it’s burning it a little too quickly. I drive about 60/40 highway/streets and when I drive the car the way it’s meant to be driven I get about 10/11 mpg. Okay that’s fine. But when I pop it into eco and drive like my grandmother in her old Toyota celiac I still manage to barely pull off 14.7 mpg. I understand there are many variables that come into play, but I was just wondering if there many be any underlying issues.

Only mod on the car is a res and muffler delete.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by Derik72 View Post
    So I’m new to this forum and I tired looking but couldn’t find anything that really answered my questions.

I have a 2016 BMW 550i m pack and given that it’s a v8 naturally I know it will burn a lot of fuel. But it seems like it’s burning it a little too quickly. I drive about 60/40 highway/streets and when I drive the car the way it’s meant to be driven I get about 10/11 mpg. Okay that’s fine. But when I pop it into eco and drive like my grandmother in her old Toyota celiac I still manage to barely pull off 14.7 mpg. I understand there are many variables that come into play, but I was just wondering if there many be any underlying issues.

I'm getting 16.6 combined. I do about 1/2 city 1/2 highway; and mostly I drive on the Comfort Setting, but most of the time I don't drive the car too hard, sometimes I move it to Sport Mode, but I never use Eco.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 550I
    Thanks for the reply. Do you feel like the issue might be that im trying to hard these day to drive efficiently?
    I mean when you think about it, if I'm always in eco mode than obviously the gears are upshifting much quicker so when I need to speed up whether its to change lanes or make a yellow than it might be using more?
    Food for thoughts?

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Thanks for the reply. Do you feel like the issue might be that im trying to hard these day to drive efficiently?
    I mean when you think about it, if I'm always in eco mode than obviously the gears are upshifting much quicker so when I need to speed up whether its to change lanes or make a yellow than it might be using more?
    Food for thoughts?
    The advertised MPG is 17 city 25 highway. that's under ideal circumstances.

I never use Eco mode. If i can get 16.6 combined, driving the car moderately and using the Comfort Setting, you should be able too as well.

Try it for a week or so, and see what happens.

Also make sure your tires are properly inflated, you're using Premium gas, and if you think you've gotten some bad gas, try a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner. All of these can be contributing factors to poor MPG.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Before you drive yourself crazy, fill tank, get right on highway, drive 60 mph for say 30 miles, get off highway, fill tank. Do mpg calculation.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M5
    I’m right there with 16.5 as my best MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

What is your AVG MPH? That will give some context to your avg MPG. A low avg mph will usually have a low avg mpg...with the inverse being...the higher the avg mph...the higher the avg mpg.

Those chiming in with their avg mpg...if you would also give your avg mph...we'd probably start seeing the correlation between mph & mpg.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-10-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2015 BMW M5
    I have a 15 M5 and I struggle to get 16.5. My daily is mostly back roads to and from work. Really a drain but hey, that’s the price of admission. Before I refill all corvettes , chargers and mustangs need to stay away from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2015 BMW 550i M-Sport
    I am currently averaging about 14-18 mpg and can even get 21-22 mpg when cruising the highway. HOWEVER, when I press that gas pedal and leave t in sport mode, well the MPG can drop to around 8-10 when I am having fun.

My experience is that on average I am getting around 16-18 mpg in mixed traffic. Remember stay out of sport to utilize all 8 speeds in the trans and torq convt lock-up

Safe Driving
    2015 550i M-Sport