Thread: Knock sensor questions ... all feedback more than appreciated!

My Cars
    1996 740IL

Knock sensor questions ... all feedback more than appreciated!

Hi!

I recently replaced some gaskets under the intake manifold. During the process I removed the knock sensors from both sides. After the assembly, everything seem to work fine but the diagnostics give me two error codes P1384 and P1385, which are the knock sensors.

First of all, I thought it might be the wire covers gone bad. Pulled the plug cover back and used some heat shrink wire covers on the wire ends and isolated the whole area as it was before. The old wire covers were dust so I thought that was the problem ... but the error codes remain. Reading more about the issue I found out that the knock sensors require very specific torque. I used a regular wrench when putting them back and probably tightened them up quite strong.

1. How big is the chance that the error codes come up because of wrong torque strength ?
    2. Is there a chance that I broke the sensors with too much torque and should order new ones before I tear the whole thing open again ?
    3. On which side is the knock sensor that gives out the codes P1384 / P1385 ... or is it for both sides (good to know, as one side requires removal of water pump and the other one not)
    4. Someone mentioned that even a wrong position of the sensor could trigger the error code ... does anyone know the EXACT position they are in originally ? I THINK I put them back as they were but does not hurt to be 100% sure ...

As I am really not looking into getting the manifold open for the third time, I really appreciate ALL the feedback from the more experienced ones

Thank You ahead!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonpakkas View Post
    Hi!

I recently replaced some gaskets under the intake manifold. During the process I removed the knock sensors from both sides. After the assembly, everything seem to work fine but the diagnostics give me two error codes P1384 and P1385, which are the knock sensors.

First of all, I thought it might be the wire covers gone bad. Pulled the plug cover back and used some heat shrink wire covers on the wire ends and isolated the whole area as it was before. The old wire covers were dust so I thought that was the problem ... but the error codes remain. Reading more about the issue I found out that the knock sensors require very specific torque. I used a regular wrench when putting them back and probably tightened them up quite strong.

1. How big is the chance that the error codes come up because of wrong torque strength ?
    2. Is there a chance that I broke the sensors with too much torque and should order new ones before I tear the whole thing open again ?
    3. On which side is the knock sensor that gives out the codes P1384 / P1385 ... or is it for both sides (good to know, as one side requires removal of water pump and the other one not)
    4. Someone mentioned that even a wrong position of the sensor could trigger the error code ... does anyone know the EXACT position they are in originally ? I THINK I put them back as they were but does not hurt to be 100% sure ...

As I am really not looking into getting the manifold open for the third time, I really appreciate ALL the feedback from the more experienced ones

Thank You ahead!
    Not sure about torque, I did mine to spec. But there is really only one way to put them in...unless you installed them in upside down? Could that be the case? I mean the "microphone" part being upside, I'm almost sure it can be installed that way.
    You might also run into leaks at the valley pan if not torqued to spec.
    Last edited by georgebest; 09-21-2018 at 10:30 PM.

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    I am very sure that they are not upside down

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    There are strict limits on the torque settings on the knock sensors - 20NM - much more than that and they will be killed, they are a quartz (glass) device to start with, and after a few years they get pretty brittle!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Yes, it is very important that they are torqued properly.

My Cars
    1996 740IL
    Thank You for the advice! Just to be sure, I will get new sensors + torque wrench and do it properly this time! There is a big chance that I killed at least one of the sensors as I remember tightening it up quite good :P

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    A relaible torque wrench is a good investment for these cars, I have good experience with those cheap ones on Amazon. Though later invested into a digital one for the timing chain job, saved me hours.