Thread: 96 328I Convvert Top is Dead

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Conv.

96 328I Convvert Top is Dead

Hi All,
    Hope I can get some help with my cars problem. The semi auto top acts as if it's totally dead.

Symptoms: 1. No drop of the windows when pushing the top down switch. I can operate any window with the individual switches. If all windows are down the "master?"switch will raise them, but will not lower all or any of them. The top will not go down even with the windows down.
    2. No sound from any of the motors, top or top cover opening (tonneu cover?)
    3. No led light at switch (unless it's on at nite, not sure)

What I've done: Checked all the fuses under the hood
    Looked for the fuse near battery (no luck ) The schematic in the Bentley manual shows a "fuse link". It is in series with the battery, so if it were blown, I would think nothing would work. The car starts and runs fine.
    I'm thinking a bad zke module, any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hoyt

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    The fuse by the battery is on the cable leading to the battery. I think the red one. At least that is where it is on my 98 fully automatic.

Another thing to think about is the switch that tell the car the trunk is closed. Top will not work if it thinks the trunk is open.
    Last edited by 110reef; 09-24-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by 110reef View Post
    The fuse by the battery is on the cable leading to the battery. I think the red one. At least that is where it is on my 98 fully automatic.

Another thing to think about is the switch that tell the car the trunk is closed. Top will not work if it thinks the trunk is open.
    Thanks for your reply. I did look for that fuse without luck. You are correct, it is the red wire. Both red wires (1 large &1 small ) come together and exit together after passing thru what the book calls a fuse link. I would think if it were bad nothing would work. It is the main battery line that feeds the entire car. I guess I'll have to really dig in to see if I can find it.
    Hoyt

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Have you tried re-setting the windows? Not sure if the windows have anything to do with the top or not, but lower them all the way, hold the switch down for 5 secs, raise them up and hold the switch up for 5 secs. Do this for all the windows. Also, I posted in the other thread a good link to a thread that has the top troubleshooting guide. That may also help.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ull-Auto-PDF-s
    Last edited by 110reef; 09-24-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by 110reef View Post
    Have you tried re-setting the windows? Not sure if the windows have anything to do with the top or not, but lower them all the way, hold the switch down for 5 secs, raise them up and hold the switch up for 5 secs. Do this for all the windows. Also, I posted in the other thread a good link to a thread that has the top troubleshooting guide. That may also help.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ull-Auto-PDF-s
    I tried to download but it's in German. I believe it is also for the automatic top, mine is the semi auto. I'll have to try to get google to translate more than the basic introduction/1st page. As for the windows, I'll try doing as you suggest, ya never know.
    Thanks
    Hoyt

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Only 1 of the PDF's in the thread is in German, I believe. The microswitch one I think may be the most valuable.

The semi auto top is not much different from the auto top, except for the motor in the front of the top in the fully automatic. I would think that the literature should still be helpful.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Conv.
    I tried this one,https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-s...mNTgwMGY2/view and it came out in German. I also tried the window re sync you mentioned without any luck. I did print out the one you posted with all the switches. Luckily the top is down.
    Hoyt

My Cars
    E36 323i Schwarz 2 , E3
    Have you tried the top reset already ?

And are the microswitches on the latches that grab the tonneau cover clicking when you push them by hand ?

I believe i can normally hear the trunk/ glovebox / tonneaucover click.

When i press my tonneau down i hear a click as wel, so that the trunk is locked/ unlocked.

Sometimes the wiring on the rear left pillar will fray to

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Conv.
    GOT IT !!! Really dumb reason. In the process of checking the fuses the other day, I checked what I thought was #7. Well, in my fuse box there are a few empty spaces before you actually get to the fuses 1-10. Since it didn't look like 10 fuses were there physically, today, I began my counting from the 1st empty slot to fuse #7..BINGO, Bad fuse !! I went back looking at the fuses because this one definitely is used on the zke, central locking, and conv. roof. BTW, those 2 plunger looking things on the trunk lid may have been switches in another model, but in my case are just there to plug the holes? Terminals on them appear cut off and there is no wiring harness for them if you wanted to use them. Also, after a lot of work pulling all that molded carpet back to find the fuse near the battery, there is none. The book does say fuse link, and typically something like that looks more like a wire than a in line fuse holder. Top is working now !
    Anyway, thanks to all .
    Regards
    Hoyt

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Glad to hear!

Of course, now you have to wonder why the fuse blew in the first place.

These tops are too complicated.
    Last edited by 110reef; 09-25-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Conv.
    Agree, way too complicated. I quit after seeing it operate, I had too much stuff to put away and re assemble the formed carpet etc in the trunk. NEXT Time I plan on lubricating everything I see that moves. Old and stiff like the owner, ha ha.