Thread: Crankshaft Sensor install with pics

My Cars
    1993 850ci 6spd

Crankshaft Sensor install with pics

In the hopes of getting my 7-12 bank running again I replaced the Crankshaft Sensors. Read all I could about changing them but didn’t find too many pictures so I took my own and thought I’d share.

All and all it wasn’t bad. Took my time and completed in 2.5 hours. If I had to do it again I’m sure I could shave off an hour or so.

Jack up the car, jackstands of course.
    Remove the (4) 8mm screws attaching cover under the center of the engine front.

Pic 1: Bottom sensor is right in front. Arrows on the sensor and the wire holder, Cant see the wire holder bolt in this pic but it’s up there and behind the tensioner.

Pic 2: Arrows to the power steering pump pulley bolts and tensioner. I removed the tensioner to get the wire holder bolt out. 2 easy to get to bolts and comes right out. Top one from the top of the engine and bottom from below.

Pic 3: Arrow on the sensor, this is why you need to move the power steering pump. Notice the sensor is half out but won’t come out all the way until the pump is moved down a little. Arrows to the 3 front bolts holding the power steering pump to the bracket.

Pic 4: Arrows to the bolts that need to come out. Top one is holding a power steering line and is attached to the alternator. Have to remove for the pump to move down.

Pic 5: Arrow to the one bolt at the back of the pump that needed to be taken out. Once out I leveraged a screwdriver in between the pump and pump bracket still attached to the engine and gently pushed the pump down enough for me to remove the bottom sensor.

Inked01_LI.jpgInked02_LI.jpgInked03_LI.jpgInked04_LI.jpgInked05_LI.jpg

My Cars
    1993 850ci 6spd
    Pic 6: Arrows to the wire holder bolt which you can see if you look close and with the tensioner removed you can see and easily get to the top sensor. (Top arrow) There is another wire holder above the top sensor that holds both top and bottom wires. Hard to get a pic but you can get to it with a short extension right under the top radiator hose as it goes into the engine. 10mm.

Pic 7: Arrow to the top sensor. You can see it easily now. Also, you can see the bottom sensor holder and where the the wire holder bolt came out. (the only clean spots you see!)

Pic 8: New sensor insalled. Arrow to the now removed upper sensor.

Pic 9: Almost back together. Arrows to the two tensioner bolts that I didn’t take a good pic of earlier.

Pic 10: Old sensor next to new one. Some have said the wire on the new ones seem short but these are plenty long enough. Brand I used is FACET. Intertesting enough, the bottom one was OEM BMW but the top one was a FACET that was clearly changed at some point.

All done, button her back up the way she came and cross your fingers. Unfortunately for me this did not fix my problem…. 7-12 bank is still not operating. At least I have new sensors now and I know my car a little better. Time to order the donut sensors next.
    Inked06_LI.jpgInked07_LI.jpgInked08_LI.jpgInked09_LI.jpg10_LI.jpg

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850ia
    Did you check your 7-12 distributor and the cables? Mine didn't work on that side when I got it and it was the distributor and the cables.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 6spd
    I had replaced the cap, rotor and coil a few hundred miles ago. Drove fine. Swapped coil leads and put the old coil back, still no go. The wires should be replaced for sure as they were arcing at one point.