RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 95 325i convert exhaust replace muffler n pipe. easy ? expensive ? where 2 buy parts?

My Cars
    325i porsche944

95 325i convert exhaust replace muffler n pipe. easy ? expensive ? where 2 buy parts?

about four months ago i bought a 325i covert 1995. i live in wisconsin and the car has seen many winters. my daughter is the primary driver. she noticed the car got loud. i looked a bit and behind the drivers seat area just behind the rear axle i see broken rusty pipes either of the muffler inputs or the pipes or both. looks pretty rusty / rotted to me. i have decent mechanic skills and wonder if there is any tricky part of the job? are the pipes separate from the muffler to the front of the car?? i think i see prices around 350 dollars for the muffler without any gaskets or hangers or seals. do you normally just replace everything ??. i have floor jacks and stands and a saws all or two and cutting torches etc. but i am getting older and fatter and have very bad knees, so i am good if i need to go under once or twice. i have a daughter to hand me tools.

i guess i am looking for basic info and parts cost and time required.

fyi i had a 94 jetta i replaced the exhaust four times. so i understand the process. i have not done much work on the 325i yet. I bought the service manual, and it has almost nothing about exhaust work. do the exhaust parts clamp ?? or have threaded parts like plumbing ?? any info would be appreciated. i am not super interested in going to super loud or super performance exhaust unless it’s really the best answer.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    the stock exhaust will be two pipes. it connects at two points (just near the passenger seat area) and about 2/3 of the way back before the muffler.

i'm going to guess your biggest issue is the typical rusty exhaust problems. everything is going to probably be frozen in place, etc. you know the drill.
    replacement is straight forward. an OE/OEM piece is going to probably be pricey and most likely not worth it. you can go with something like a magnaflow or such or even find used OE/OEM stuff. i actually haven't priced out any exhaust stuff in awhile as i've always done custom or quality aftermarket.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Personally, here's what I'd suggest:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...is-18101737491

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    325i porsche944
    thanks , the FPC parts are reasonable in price. they are close the the price of magnaflow stuff , at least i think they are pretty close. Are the magnaflow parts much better in performance ? or lower in weight ?? i am just looking for a simple repair job. do you typically buy new hanger stuff or is that usually ok?? if i can do it myself and get away for 450 to 550 dollars i would consider it a win.

i have seen youtube vids with people just putting in straight pipes, but i am not looking for boy racer sound. if it was not very loud i would not mind that solution. the video stuff made it seem really annoyingly loud.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    I’ll have to look on my parts stash but I might have a stock m3 muffler laying around.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Now THAT would be your best bet, targaone. If you can buy a stock piece from shadowpuck, you'll most likely be able to just bolt it on, without a problem, just a couple of new bolts and nuts.; and everything will line up. maybe you'll have to buy a new rubber hanger or two.

I can promise you that you can trust shadowpuck 100%.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'll cast another vote for a second hand OE if you can find one. Ought to be fairly easy for the E36 which is popular with youngsters liking loud exhaust which will discard the OE in favor of something obnoxious.
    Craigslist might turn something up. If you see something near Chicago I'll be in Jefferson next weekend.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    325i porsche944
    huge thanks to shadowpuck for the exhaust parts. the replacement went well. i appreciate your help a lot.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    awesome! glad to hear it helped out!