Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Getter | DD E34 Touring

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it

Grocery Getter | DD E34 Touring

Ultimate goal: A "responsible" daily driver.

I've desired a wagon for about three years, and as of Aug 2017 I found one.

Plans from the beginning:
    -Adjustable Height
    -Many Wheels
    -Manual
    -Improved Engine
    -Winter Capable
    -Road Trip-Ready

Plans updated as the project continued:
    -BC Coilovers
    -3.64 Limited Slip
    -ZF 5 speed
    -Euro Bits, trim and headlights
    -MT2 wheel
    -3.0 M50, or Poor Mans S50

Future Plans (For better gas mileage and better road tripping):
    -6 Speed Manual
    -Supercharger

I found this specific wagon via an auction in California. I live in Idaho. The final bid was great, but after fees and shipping just less than $1k was spent. From the pictures I could tell that the engine was missing some parts, and the car was otherwise complete. Perfect!

Here's what arrived. First step was a quick detail and some wheel changing.

- - - Updated - - -

The BBS RK's I had collected from a previous partout... I threw them on so the car could at least look good while it was parked, until I got the engine sorted.

What's on the grocery list?

Well, first things first. After looking over the wagon's condition, it appeared the previous owners were attempting a DIY head gasket repair. They probably didn't know what they were doing, and the first thing I found was that the HEAD WAS CRACKED. They had all the head bolts removed except the three tiny ones at the front of the engine, and I imagine them thinking "oh it's probably just stuck, let's give it some sledgehammer motivation".

That would be a good reason to get rid of the car especially if you didn't know its value.

So I needed to do a head gasket repair, and I needed a new head, and I knew I wanted it 5 speed swapped. Let's just do it all at once.

Engine rebuild - 3.0 M50 using M54 rotating assembly and intake cam.
    Manual Swap - Whole ZF 5 speed swap acquired from the junkyard.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Take it apart

2) Clean it up

3) Buy a bunch of parts

4) Pull a junkyard m54

5) Discover a cracked piston

6) Return m54 #1

7) Discover your m50 block is rusted and pitted in the cylinder walls, from being exposed to the elements for so long.

8) Pull two more fucking engines. :hitler:

- - - Updated - - -

8) Clean up the block

9) Hone it out

10) Paint it up

11) Install rotating assembly with new rings and bearings

12) Rebuild the head, New valve guides, and m54b30 intake cam (timing has to be manual set on this setup. Timing blocks do not work)

13) Throw it all together and place in the car

14) Build an exhaust

15) Start it... or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Got the engine all put together and it ran like shit!!

A couple of things happened:

M50 timing blocks cannot be used to set timing on m54 camshaft.

The engine shook like crazy. Ran a compression test and had no compression in cyl 5. I adjusted timing and tried again. Better compression in all cylinders but still none in cyl 5.

Leak down test also showed that the cylinder wouldn't hold any pressure what so ever.

So fuck it, take the head back off and I discover two ever so slightly bent exhaust valves... Even though I replaced all the valve guides I didn't notice the two slight bends.

16) Take the head back off

17) Replace the bad valves

18) Put it back together

19) Drive it at last.

Note cam lobes when using m50 timing blocks

And Manually adjust timing

Just in time for snow!

- - - Updated - - -

Some other projects came up along the way.

Found a set of staggered ACS Type 2's and test fit. They need some repairs and powdercoating before they go on full time.

Found a set of working and uncracked fog lights. Threw some tint film on them to protect them from cracking like they all do.

The lady and I bought a fixer upper which meant the wagon got to haul 1000 sqft of flooring and many trips back and forth from the old house. Note - Shop

Started building a custom sub box.. haven't finished it yet.

And mostly just enjoyed driving the wagon around for a few months!

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the shopping list

20) Buy a parts car

21) Take the Parts (Euro bumper trim, MT2 Wheel, BC Coiovers)

22) Return parts car to stock, and fix many things.

- - - Updated - - -

Coilovers are installed, and the parts car has been returned to stock.

I love how clean the front of this car looks!

- - - Updated - - -

Threw some new wheels on for shits and giggles.

Also cleaned out the front garage so the lady has a place to park for the impending weather change.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    Thats a beauty man. Ive been wantin to get an e34 wagon to match with my sedan, hopefully this gives me enough inspiration to go and do it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 540i/6, 1992 325ic
    Great thread, love all the pics. You knock the work out it would appear.

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresco34 View Post
    Thats a beauty man. Ive been wantin to get an e34 wagon to match with my sedan, hopefully this gives me enough inspiration to go and do it lol.
    DO it!
    Quote Originally Posted by summitp View Post
    Great thread, love all the pics. You knock the work out it would appear.
    This is over a year in the making, but I do try and be quick with the progress. Thank you!

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    This is pretty awesome. Way to keep with it after the engine issues too.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Heck yeah! I'm glad to see more M50B30 stroker builds, gets me excited to do mine! How much of a gain do you actually get with the M54 cam? I'm still debating whether I want to mess with that or just enjoy the increased displacement without replacing the cams.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Nice work! I love the color combo.

When you are ready to tackle those seats, check out Leatherique.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Nice work! Nothing beats RKs, imo.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1995 525iT
    Awesome thread. Love the updates and the progress.

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    Amazing work on the touring and looks great on the BBS RK.

I would love to own a clean wagon similar at one point.

My Cars
    1994 540i/6, 1992 325ic
    Hey Artfoodbmw,
    Talk a little about how you did the front windshield trim. Did you have to pull the glass and do all new clips? I have new clips for one of my main glass bits, and can't figure out how to get the clip in there to save my life.
    Also, like 3rd time I have gone through this thread looking at pictures. I like it.

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by atl530i View Post
    This is pretty awesome. Way to keep with it after the engine issues too.
    Thanks mate, It was a lot of work to keep the motivation up, but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Heck yeah! I'm glad to see more M50B30 stroker builds, gets me excited to do mine! How much of a gain do you actually get with the M54 cam? I'm still debating whether I want to mess with that or just enjoy the increased displacement without replacing the cams.
    I don't think its much, maybe 10 hp? It's not that aggressive compared to stock. I think its an easy enough swap while you have it all apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Montalbon View Post
    Nice work! I love the color combo.

When you are ready to tackle those seats, check out Leatherique.
    I've look into leatherique for the back seats, the fronts will be replaced with sport seats as soon as I can get my hands on a set.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Nice work! Nothing beats RKs, imo.
    The Rk's are nice but I always will favor a nice set of staggered wheels. Hence why I'm stoked to put the ACS' on

Quote Originally Posted by Auk View Post
    Awesome thread. Love the updates and the progress.
    Thank you, long time in the making but all fun along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Furreals View Post
    Amazing work on the touring and looks great on the BBS RK.

I would love to own a clean wagon similar at one point.
    Thank you! I think I'm going to turn the RX into winter wheels, and paint them a more neutral color... Rk's will stay the same until I can find an e28 to put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by summitp View Post
    Hey Artfoodbmw,
    Talk a little about how you did the front windshield trim. Did you have to pull the glass and do all new clips? I have new clips for one of my main glass bits, and can't figure out how to get the clip in there to save my life.
    Also, like 3rd time I have gone through this thread looking at pictures. I like it.
    I still haven't fixed the stupid windshield trim.. I put a replacement piece on and it flew off on the freeway At this point I'm just hoping to replace the whole windshield and trim setup.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Now that's what I like to see! RKs look fantastic. 17x8?

3.64 seems way overgeared with a non-OD transmission. Do you take it on long trips? I put a 2.65 in my 544iT (previously 3.15) and it went from a slightly high-strung hotrod to a loafy highway cruiser, a good thing in Montana. Picked up a couple of MPGs, and the gearing was such that third was good until about 100.

Safelite screwed up a windshield install on a previous E34 and left off the windshield trim altogether. It actually looked ok and didn't seem to cause any problems.

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Now that's what I like to see! RKs look fantastic. 17x8?

3.64 seems way overgeared with a non-OD transmission. Do you take it on long trips? I put a 2.65 in my 544iT (previously 3.15) and it went from a slightly high-strung hotrod to a loafy highway cruiser, a good thing in Montana. Picked up a couple of MPGs, and the gearing was such that third was good until about 100.

Safelite screwed up a windshield install on a previous E34 and left off the windshield trim altogether. It actually looked ok and didn't seem to cause any problems.
    17x8.5, et15 I think. I only wish they were staggered. I like when wheels can closely fill up both fender wells and it seems like BMW designed there cars for staggered setups.

The 3.64 does make it a little strung on the freeway. Farthest trip I've taken is up north 2 hours, and It really wasn't that bad as far as the gearing.

That being said the 6 speed swap is on the list. I'll probably start looking for a parts e46 when my queue clears up a bit. Should be a pretty straight forward swap and give me the necessary overdrive gear.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
    The Rk's are nice but I always will favor a nice set of staggered wheels. Hence why I'm stoked to put the ACS' on
    A local here has a pair of 17x10 RKs, but he'll never part with them. That wheel in that size is as good as it gets for aftermarket!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    92 525iT(S52)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
    Thanks mate, It was a lot of work to keep the motivation up, but well worth it.

I still haven't fixed the stupid windshield trim.. I put a replacement piece on and it flew off on the freeway At this point I'm just hoping to replace the whole windshield and trim setup.
    Wait until you see how much that windshield trim costs now. Over $200 a side. Cost $35 a couple of years ago when I did my Touring.

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Impressive!
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it
    Took some pictures

Fixed the rear wiper arm

Bought another e34 for the rear bumper

Powder coated the BBS Rx's

Bought another wagon

Got the rear M-tech bumper painted

More wheels too.....

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Long live the RK.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Yer doing a lot of work on a car that cost almost nuthin. But does it pay in the long run?

I spy a 2002 or two in there. Me likey.

I also thought I saw a K100RS - I had two before the K1300GT. What an ICBM that one is, here I am driving it on my 4-mile to and from work commute. But I almost vitiated my future career (says Mr. Kipling) at the onramp today. Life can be short! So can onramps!
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Long live the RK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    Yer doing a lot of work on a car that cost almost nuthin. But does it pay in the long run?

I spy a 2002 or two in there. Me likey.

I also thought I saw a K100RS - I had two before the K1300GT. What an ICBM that one is, here I am driving it on my 4-mile to and from work commute. But I almost vitiated my future career (says Mr. Kipling) at the onramp today. Life can be short! So can onramps!
    Certaintly does pay in the long run. I've had people call my work asking how much I'd sell the wagon for. That's why I bought the white one. Plans will be along the same lines but I do plan on building it to sell. Also I try not to worry too much about the money I put into this one as it is one of the forever cars for me. I build for the fun.

The 2002 is on ongoing project. That's currently what I'm focusing on.. High compression pistons, IE reground cam and resprayed engine bay. Should be a fun little car to scoot around in when it's finally on the road. I've owned it for 2 years and its ran for like 5 minutes. Engine build should be done in a few weeks.

The bike was a K75... Sold it a few months back because I knew I wasn't going to give it the attention it needed over the winter. Currently looking for something similar now that the weather is turning around.

My Cars
    85 325e M60b40, 95 525it
    Sold the M-tech bumper for nearly as much as a pair of front and rear go for. In order to make progress on some other projects

Bought another parts car for sport seats and a manual swap and suspension upgrade for the white wagon.

Prepped the wagon for 5erWest (Steering components, brakes, calipers, dogbones, skid plate, wheel bearing etc.)

Got two new tires and an alignment finally

Charged the A/C

Also finally worked up the nerve to open the sunroof. Its fully functional :yawn:

Lost another windshield trim on the drive over also...

Road Trip Ready

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Looks awesome! Your build thread is so inspirational, makes me want to go do stuff to my E34 wagon.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    92 525iT(S52)
    Nice job. Love a guy that does his own work even when the going gets tough. That's the way you learn. You might look at the stock Z8 wheels if you want a staggered setup for not much money. The offsets are perfect for the E34 and you can find them on ebay cheap. I ran them on my Touring for years before I found that the twitchy feeling it had was caused by the wider wheels on the back so I changed to a square setup w/20mm offsets all around and it felt more stable. I replaced the rear cradle bushings last year which might have had something to do with the twitchy fee so I might try the Z8 wheels again and see. I also fitted some 540 sport seats which I rewired to work. I'll be 70 next year so now I have to pay someone to do what I know how to do. :-(

My Cars
    1990 E34 525, 1994 E34 5
    Great thread I love seeing a great restoration being done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast