Thread: 328i Starting and cutting out issues

My Cars
    E36 328i Vert, E66 735Li

Question 328i Starting and cutting out issues

I’ve had issues with my Bimmer going on for about 6 months now. Long-time forum member and I’ve always found the answers here but this is the first time I’ve had to ask.

The car is a 1998 328i Connverable. 230000kms. Owned for 8yrs. Always been serviced by me ahead of time. No major issues. Drive train is stock. Always runs well apart from below. Battery is less than 12 mths old.

About 6 mths ago it would momentarily cutout while driving. Never for more than 3 seconds and usually weeks apart. I have access to an INPA setup and the and the only relevant fault code seemed to be: Lost CAM or crank position sensor

So after some reading on here, I ordered a new CAM sensor off Ebay. The first one had the wrong connector and the second went OK for about 2 weeks.

Then the car refused to start at one point. It was warm. It would crank but not fire. Checked fuses and reseated relays and after about 5 minutes it fired up and ran with no issues.

I decided to get a crank sensor and replace it. All good for another couple of weeks. Then it failed to fire up again. I did pull the back seat and verified that the fuel pump was running by the noise. Anyway it started after about 5 minutes again.

I removed the glovebox when home and reseated all the connectors on the various computer modules (Its a RHD car).

About a week ago it wouldn't start again. Warm again, cranked OK but wouldn't catch and start. At home this time so had tools and a second pair of hands available. Sprayed some starting fluid into the air cleaner. The car wanted to start but wouldn't. Indicating to me that it had spark but no fuel delivery. The front of the fuel rail has a valve like a tyre inflation device. When it was opened plenty of fuel flowed out.

The last couple of days it has threatened to stall while driving.

So making some assumptions here but welcome any corrections.

If the crank or cam sensor wasn't picking up I would not get spark as well as fuel
    Spark is working due to testing with starter fluid
    Fuel is pressurising the rail but the no injectors are opening
    I am leaning towards it being a ECU or grounding issue.
    I have cleaned up the ring ground terminal in the strut tower and the one just behind the headlights. Is there other known failure points for grounding?
    Is there anything between the computer and the injectors?
    Could it be some part of the immobiliser system?
    Has anyone had any similar issues?
    I have had the ABS and traction control light intermittently come on and ff over the next three months.

Thanks

Jarrod from Perth

My Cars
    1997 328i
    When getting cam and crank sensors it's important to stick with OEM, Siemens VDO. I'm also troubleshooting strange cam/crank error codes that are returning, now cleaning grounds and suspected bad wirings. Maybe that upgrade subharness that feeds more power to the crank sensor is failing, have to keep digging.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I've also had the traction control light come on for no apparent reason. Usually when the ABS traction control light comes on, the wheel speed sensors need cleaning. There are also the three large round connectors in the engine bay that may need cleaning, first with compressed air then with deoxit. Your in Aus so I'm sure there is plenty of dust/dirt to go around.

There is a main ground strap that connects the block to the frame it's either 4 or 6ga wire, its good to remove it completely and clean both ends. A can of Deoxit 5% can be helpful in cleaning electrical connections.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    So I've now cleaned all my connectors under the hood (including under the manifold) with deoxit 5% and the code is finally gone. I used a long thin nylon tube (toy whip antenna) to extend the spray tube that comes with the cleaner to get to the connectors under the manifold.

My Cars
    E36 328i Vert, E66 735Li
    I finally had some time over the weekend to clean up the large engine block ground and another 2 that were behind the glove box near the ECU. On Monday the car was threatening to stall on the freeway to work.
    I unplugged the the Cam and Crank sensor and looked for dust. They looked pretty clean. I cleaned them with some PCB/Flux remover that we had. I flushed all parts pretty well and left it to evaporate. After connecting back up I have not have any issues with the motor. Speed sensors next to look at.

Thanks Eric

Jarrod