Thread: Ground clearance

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Ground clearance

I was looking for ground clearance post for stock suspension 2001 M Roadster and all I can find is other cars. Sorry if it was already covered.. oh probably few dozen times. I measured about 4.75 inches, but wanted official number.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Not exactly what you are asking for, but this is the correct way to measure it, so I think it will give you what you want ...
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post28765587
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Just to clarify, I am looking to get 12V car jack and checking if one I found on line fits. I know my 70lb low profile manual jack fits. But I was looking for something lighter and smaller for better transportability to track day events. Unlike coupe, I am limited on space . I found some review site with specs claiming that ground clearance is 4.6x inches. I guess my original number was close.

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Coupe
    For what it's worth I have a quickjack 5000xl and it works just fine with stock mcoupe suspension.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    If you are looking at a 12v scissor jack, I used several of the manual type at autocrosses for the same reason. They worked on my lowered M Roadster, but I wasn't able to find any that are designed for that much use. They kept falling apart, so I went back to a light weight racing jack. What I discovered was that to get a scissor jack which would last, it would weigh as much, or more, than a good racing jack. Adding the electric motor could make it even heaver. Not trying to change your mind, but I do hope you can find one that meet your needs and will last. If you do, please post it here.
    Last edited by khammack; 09-20-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    If you are looking at a 12v scissor jack, I used several of the manual type at autocrosses for the same reason. They worked on my lowered M Roadster, but I wasn't able to find any that are designed for that much use. They kept falling apart, so I went back to a light weight racing jack. What I discovered was that to get a scissor jack which would last, it would weigh as much, or more, than a good racing jack. Adding the electric motor could make it even heaver. Not trying to change your mind, but I do hope you can find one that meet your needs and will last. If you do, please post it here.
    Thanks for the insight. I will let you know if I come across something that seems solid enough. But based on the price, I have a feeling that despite them claiming 3T, if I load 3T on it it will probably fall apart. Any suggestions for light weight low profile racing jack that will not cost me my limb?

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I've got the$59 Harbor Freight, it's disposable but lifts my M without issues and fits under fine, just doesn't have a lot of height extended. Good luck!!!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I bought an electric scissor jack from Autozone. It began bending with first use, so I returned it. I have socket that fits on the end of my manual scissor jack, and I use my 18v drill to raise the car. Works great.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    I bought an electric scissor jack from Autozone. It began bending with first use, so I returned it. I have socket that fits on the end of my manual scissor jack, and I use my 18v drill to raise the car. Works great.
    That’s a brilliant idea! Why didn’t I think of that. Got to check what socket mine takes. I already have high torque impact driver for the lug nuts. Could just use that. Thanks!

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    That is what I was doing with mine. Even made sure grease was always on the screw, but the jack still fell apart. It seems the weak parts are the bearings so look for one with steel bearing, not nylon or plastic.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I use an aluminum low profile "racing" jack ( cheap one). With the TC Kline suspension the car is an inch or so lower than stock--- and remember if you have a flat tire the clearance is obviously reduced significantly.......

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by William Turner View Post
    I use an aluminum low profile "racing" jack ( cheap one). With the TC Kline suspension the car is an inch or so lower than stock--- and remember if you have a flat tire the clearance is obviously reduced significantly.......
    Please define “cheap one”.
    Do you happen to recall brand?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Low profile 1.5 Ton Aluminum jack $80
    https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ump-62160.html

Low profile 3.0 Ton Steel jack $98
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ampaign=092018
    Last edited by Adker; 09-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.