Thread: Do auto m30s have a pilot bearing?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i

Do auto m30s have a pilot bearing?

Thanks

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    No. The TC is bolted to the crank via the flex plate and flywheel.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    No and no consequences of leaving one in place if using a "manual" engine with an auto box

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    No and no consequences of leaving one in place if using a "manual" engine with an auto box
    If only it were so easy... I’ve got the reverse problem. Like whiskeychaser said, if there is an empty hole where the TC used to occupy, looks like I’ve got work ahead of me. I’ll have to start a build thread or something after all of this is said and done, never thought I would be doing so much work. Live and learn

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    If you are swapping in a manual, you probably have the bits which are greyed out and need the bits which are in black:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_0329

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    If you are swapping in a manual, you probably have the bits which are greyed out and need the bits which are in black:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_0329
    Thank you for this. I’ve actually swapped in an engine from an auto car into my 5 speed equipped 535i. I swapped over the flywheel and all that jazz from my old engine, but looks like I forgot to add in a pilot bearing. I checked real OEM too, but wanted to be 100% certain before I drop the transmission to dig back in there all over again.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    It may be a moot point but you normally use a mandrel to centre the clutch friction plate. As the mandrel slides into the pilot bearing, I am not clear how you managed to line it up.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    My memory is not 100%, because I wrapped this all up a couple weeks ago. However I’ll tell you what I know, and then you can tell me how royally I screwed up.

I think I put the friction plate inside the pressure plate, where there is a dowel or whatever that sorta holds it in place, and then lined that up with the flywheel, and tightened down the pressure plate bolts. I may be way off base, because I don’t remember really what I did, lol, but I think that is how I did it. The clutch engages, and the car moves, and can change gears. I’ve driven it around the block only once, then right back into the garage because my new engine came with a blown head gasket as a nifty feature.

Pretty sure that is how I got it all in there.
    Last edited by theBMWbeast; 09-20-2018 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    We all try to make do with the tools we have and it sounds like you did a great job of lining it up by eye. If you had used a mandrel, I am sure alarm bells would have been ringing because there would be nothing there for it to fit into. Not sure if you are going to return the engine because of the blown HG or fit a new one. Either way, it is fortunate that you realised the problem now.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    It may be a moot point but you normally use a mandrel to centre the clutch friction plate. As the mandrel slides into the pilot bearing, I am not clear how you managed to line it up.
    I install all my clutch disks by feel alone. They always line up perfectly and way better than that plastic clutch tool.
    demet

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    I install all my clutch disks by feel alone. They always line up perfectly and way better than that plastic clutch tool.
    Never seen a plastic clutch tool. In my youth I tried to align a clutch as you gentlemen do. Clearly, I didn't have your skills as it took a lot of time and fiddling around to get it right. Not something I ever cared to repeat I have used a piece of copper tubing with a ring of insulation tape round it for years. The point I was making was that if a tool had been used, there would be nowhere to put it. I was trying to avoid OP's blushes but that doesn't seem to have worked either

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Yet another reason to do things the right way

Im pressing forward with this engine, because I could go cry and moan about them selling me a piece of crap, or I could have a running car. New head gasket installed, now onto the pilot bearing issue. The perks of cheap motors. If it cost me $1500 we would have a problem. Hopefully no more questions after this one!

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Hopefully no more questions after this one!
    I have one. How much did you pay for it? IIRC, I paid $500 for the m30 engine/tranny combo and it had a blown headgasket. $45 later for a new headgasket and it's been running fine.
    demet

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Never seen a plastic clutch tool. In my youth I tried to align a clutch as you gentlemen do. Clearly, I didn't have your skills as it took a lot of time and fiddling around to get it right. Not something I ever cared to repeat I have used a piece of copper tubing with a ring of insulation tape round it for years. The point I was making was that if a tool had been used, there would be nowhere to put it. I was trying to avoid OP's blushes but that doesn't seem to have worked either
    The crappy plastic clutch tool comes in the clutch set over here. Never could get it to align the disk properly. The trick to aligning it by feel is to watch a couple of YouTube vids and then try it. You want the same gap between the clutch and pressure plate all the way around.

So there is a use for the tool. To tell you you forgot the pilot bearing?
    demet

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    The crappy plastic clutch tool comes in the clutch set over here. Never could get it to align the disk properly. The trick to aligning it by feel is to watch a couple of YouTube vids and then try it. You want the same gap between the clutch and pressure plate all the way around.

So there is a use for the tool. To tell you you forgot the pilot bearing?
    I know what the principle is. The execution is another matter I don't want to labour the point but in this particular case, the answer would seem to be 'yes'

$45 for a HG job is remarkably cheap. I would pay more than that for a pressure test and skim

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I have one. How much did you pay for it?
    $450, that’s including the $100 core charge. Engine only, not a combo like yours.