Thread: How Heavy Should The Steering Be?

My Cars
    1998 328iC, 2006 330Xi

How Heavy Should The Steering Be?

For you long-term owners out there, how heavy should the steering be on an E90?

I have a 2006 330Xi. It is my first BMW. Actually, I bought it with a salvage title and got it fixed up and back on the road. I love this car! It was a one-owner before I bought it after the wreck. The accident was on the right rear, and required a replacement door, body work to the rear quarter panel, and a bit of suspension repair. The accident affected absolutely NOTHING up front, including the engine and steering.

With that being said, the previous owner took great care of the car, and now that it is fixed, I am reaping the benefits of that. However, the one thing that is strange to me is the steering. It is really quite heavy (at least it seems to be to me). We're not talking about power steering that doesn't work. I know what that feels like. I know these cars are kinda sporty, (and she handles REALLY well!!), so heavy steering makes a certain amount of sense. But when it's at a standstill or slow speed, it's much heavier to steer than anything else I've driven (other than a vehicle with no power steering). Again, it's not so heavy that it can't be done. It's just oddly heavy. I would think at low speed it would lighten up to make maneuvering easier.

Anyway, would y'all say this is normal behavior for an E90? Or should I be checking something out for a problem?

Thanks for any help or feedback you can provide! And here's a pic of my car just cuz...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 328iC, 2006 330Xi
    Bump... No one has any thoughts for me on this? Really appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks!!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Does the car have the sport package? If so, that could add to the heaviness. I have a 135i and the steering is quite heavy compared to other cars, but it's something that I got used to. Have you checked the steering fluid level?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i SULEV
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevaroo01 View Post
    Bump... No one has any thoughts for me on this? Really appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks!!
    BMW is known for heavy steering, at least before the electric steering, which E90 does not have. A common issue is the gasket of the power steering cap would degrade and seep power steering fluid. If enough fluid is lost, your steering may be hard to turn.

My Cars
    1998 328iC, 2006 330Xi
    Thank you for the responses. How does one know whether the car has the sport package? What kind of features would that include?

I’m beginning to think that it’s just heavier than I’m used to, but normal for this car. I don’t see any signs of power steering fluid leakage.

My Cars
    740iS, 745i, 528i
    Sounds like normal E90 to me; I have a 2010 E90 335d and I prefer the heavier steering to the super light steering on my F15 X5 35d.
    If yours was low on power steering fluid, you would get the distinctive whine associated with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i SULEV
    I am surprised that you found no leaking near the power steering reservoir. The gaskets of BMW are very poor, and that includes oil filter housing, valve cover, power steering reservoir, oil pan. Anyway, as of the heavy steering, it is normal for all BMW.

My Cars
    Try driving an E39 and then talk about heavy steering.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician