Thread: 1999 M Roadster Key & Fob

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster

1999 M Roadster Key & Fob

Hello All,
    I've been reading on the keys for my car, and noticed (purchased used from stealership) the keys were all Valet keys. No master. That aside, I took my only fob on a swim in the ocean a couple years back and well... fobs don't like the ocean as much as I do. It's not for everyone, especially if you're made of silicon and copper. Soooo... I'm now looking at replacement fobs, and only have valet keys.
    Awhile back, I test drove another M Roadster and it had the alarm in the key, as well as lit-up. Isn't that an e46 thing or? So, down to my main questions:

1. Can I switch to a key-fob in one? I did remember correct that there's an all-in-one that lights up yeah?
    2. If I can't switch to that key/fob setup, do I have to purchase a used fob, or do they sell new units with board inside?

Thanks for your patience in this. I've read on it, but only find part answers usually, to similar questions. Thanks!!!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Iirc the master key has the light but is not a remote. The spare key has black plastic/rubber cover and the valet key is gray plastic key and all. You can get replacement keys from the dealer for around $70-80. The alarm requires the separate fob. Fobs are no longer available from the dealer but may be available from Alpine.
    Last edited by z3forlife; 09-19-2018 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. I'll likely find a used one, as I believe I can clear it or program it for mine. I haven't read the whole process indepth yet. Yeah, I don't have a key with light, just black-plastic rounded, buttonless keys. So does that mean I only have spares, and would there be any major disadvantage to that? Thanks for answering!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The keys have an RFID chip inside that are unique to your car. You cannot easily adapt them to your car using aftermarket keys.

I recommend getting a new dealer key. Perfect fit, perfect integration.

As far as remote fob, yes, you can use a used one. While all the cars come prewired for alarm, you may not have the module installed. I would verify that first.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 09-19-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I recently did the OEM alarm addition to my Coupe. All in, it was around $100 including the fob. Do you have an OEM LED in your car? Shouldn't that be a dead giveaway if the system has been installed? The unit I bought didn't have the LED included, so programming took some trial and error but I finally got the fob synced to the car. A little later on, I added the siren (wiring is also there but tied up near the firewall under the brake booster)...luckily I had an OEM system on my M for reference.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 09-20-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Whatever they already said above and also eBay is your best friend for keyfobs and alarm system itself. Do not even bother with cheaper but similar looking keyfobs or ones claiming to work with BMW. If you have OEM (Alpine) system in or planning on installing OEM, used keyfob from eBay will cost you about $90. I tried 5 other types that claimed to work and was even able to change frequency on some and none of them worked. I also have relatives in Germany and ask them to get me new keyfob from Germany bmw dealership. Dealer refused to help, because they wanted VIN and identified this as a US car (@$$0|€$). I visited Switzerland earlier this year and their bmw dealership couldn’t get one either. So eBay my friend is the only choice.
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 09-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Yes, it has the LED. As mentioned in the original post, I had an oem fob and took it for a swim in the ocean... obviously it stopped working lol. No question of there being a system installed, just looking to replace the fob and had wondered if I had any other options for the fob than just a direct original replacement. It seems that's my only option, and will just find one on fleabay and program it. Thanks guys for the quick and direct responses!!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Alpine's site lists US repair facilities that may be able to repair your fob if it's not totally corroded.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Get an aftermarket system with two new remotes.
    I have been using one for 5 years.
    No issues.
    Cost about $150 iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The black key is a master key. Only the gray key is valet. If you can lock your glove box and trunk with your key, you've already got the best key "code" for your car. The lighted key was just lighted. Nothing else. The light is extremely dim and makes it bulky. so I've only used my black key.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    Get an aftermarket system with two new remotes.
    I have been using one for 5 years.
    No issues.
    Cost about $150 iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes no sense to purchase an aftermarket alarm. My M came with no alarm... All you have to do is purchase a used OEM fob, and a used module from any 3 series from the same era. Purchased an oem LED and OEM siren from a 3 series as well. Plug and play, Program at home, done. Now you have alarm and keyless entry for under $150.
    Z3///M Roadster | GC Sleeves | TCKline 450lb (F) & 700lb (R) | Koni S/A | Porsche 996 4-Pots | CSL 345mm (F) | e38 328mm (R)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    Makes no sense to purchase an aftermarket alarm. My M came with no alarm... All you have to do is purchase a used OEM fob, and a used module from any 3 series from the same era. Purchased an oem LED and OEM siren from a 3 series as well. Plug and play, Program at home, done. Now you have alarm and keyless entry for under $150.
    Another benefit of OEM vs aftermarket (from what I heard) OEM will keep door locks closed even with top down and someone tries to open doors from inside. Obviously they can just hop over, but with top up you know that they can’t just use a coat hanger to open it from inside. Aftermarket supposedly opens from inside. Again, this is what I read here in few other posts.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    Another benefit of OEM vs aftermarket (from what I heard) OEM will keep door locks closed even with top down and someone tries to open doors from inside. Obviously they can just hop over, but with top up you know that they can’t just use a coat hanger to open it from inside. Aftermarket supposedly opens from inside. Again, this is what I read here in few other posts.
    I cannot speak for all aftermarket systems, but that feature is called "double locking" and my "Stellar" plug-in keyless module supports it. I installed it in 2005 and it has worked great since. Not sure if that's still a current product or not, but it was much cheaper than a either a NOS or used OE setup at the time.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Went ahead and ordered a used fob. I have an OE alarm, my fob just ended up corroding on the board. 😶 Though I will say, the passenger door sometimes doesn't electrically unlock. I don't have much experience in this area, but is that an actuator issue? Thanks for all the responses!!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocitydreamer View Post
    Went ahead and ordered a used fob. I have an OE alarm, my fob just ended up corroding on the board.  Though I will say, the passenger door sometimes doesn't electrically unlock. I don't have much experience in this area, but is that an actuator issue? Thanks for all the responses!!
    The actuators do fail. I replaced one of mine a few years back. It's not a tough job, but the part isn't particularly cheap and you have to be careful with the door card.