Thread: E46 M3 Solo prep

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

E46 M3 Solo prep

I have autocrossed E36s (328 in STX and M3 in STR) and have had great results with setups. However, both cars are misclassed and those hopeless in their classes. Thus, E46 M3 for STU. Not the "right" car, but I have no desire to own a 350z, and 1999 Corvette hardtops with the correct options have become unicorns. So ........... some input is needed.

1) What is the weight distribution?
    2) Given the heavier full prepped weight (probably about 3200-3250 lbs) would similar setups work (springs and bars)?
    3) Will the E46 M3 benefit from more spring / less bar, or the opposite?
    4) Do these have the same fuel starvation issues as E36s?
    5) Are these as responsive to rear ride height adjustments as E36s?
    6) Any helpful hints that I have not asked about?

My Cars
    2005 M3,1999 528i
    Bob,a little late but I'll try to provide some input. I've been autocrossing my E46 M3 since 2010 albeit far from fully prepped. I'm in the St Louis region and I think we may have met when Andy Hohl co-drove your Saturn Sky. I've also interacted with some guys with fully prepped cars and have a pretty good idea of what that looks like as well. As to your questions:

1) In stock form the weight distribution is pretty close to 50/50,maybe slightly biased a little to the front. The major weight savings can be found in the exhaust,seats and battery and tend to remove most of the weight from the rear. Exhaust alone can drop approx. 60 lbs. with the battery another 40 lbs. or so and that's almost all at the back of the car. Seats probably another 60-70 lbs. so you can get the car down to approx. 3100-3150 lbs. I believe.

2) See above and yes to your question.

3) More spring for sure and a stiff front bar with stock rear bar or no rear bar based on rear spring rate. I ran AST 4100s for several years with 550f/650r springs but now run MCS 2WNR with 650f/750r springs and the car is much,much better. The MCS dampers are fantastic and transform the car and the stiffer spring rates are a major improvement as well. I ran the softer springs for a year and the improvement was noticeable when I went to the stiffer springs. FWIW the top STU E46 M3s are also running MCS suspension with 650f/800r springs I'm pretty sure. I'm considering going to 800 lb. rear springs next season. With the old suspension putting down power on exit was always a problem but was resolved with the MCS doubles although other double adjustables may be effective as well. I feel like having the ability to adjust compression was a definite part of solving the problem.

4)No

5) I can't really compare other than to say rear hide height adjustments are noticeable but don't feel like it small changes make much difference. But I've never made large changes at once so can't add much other than that. Ride height of 13.5f and 13.0r is pretty widely accepted as a good starting point and I've never been too far off of that. I've tried lower but didn't realize enough benefit to justify the clearance problems encountered in normal driving - or my driveway.

6) I'll just add that the car is a hoot to autocross and track with a good setup. Other than what I mentioned above as far as dampers and springs I run a 30mm H&R front bar that I highly recommend. The bushings have Teflon in them and are dead silent after 10 years on the car with absolutely no issues or maintenance required. I also have Vorshlag camber plates which I think are the best out there and,again,no issues with them. I had the bearings replaced when I switched suspensions and Vorshlag did it for a very reasonable price. Also,a square 18x10 wheel s and set up is probably optimal but pretty aggressive with either 275 or 285 RE-71s. That's about it. I haven't done any of the weight savings mods or a tune at this point but may do a EPIC Motorsports tune over the winter. Headers would be great but with the cats in the headers it's pretty difficult to do them and comply with SCCA rules. I've tried to keep the car as streetable as possible and am not good enough to justify the considerable expense to prep it to the max allowed by the rules but love the car as is. Good luck with your build!

PS - Forgot to mention a differential such as OS Giken or Diffsonline for example. Also $$$ obvuiously.
    Mike Kenney
    E46 M3

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Thanks, Mike. Since I posted, I have learned a lot about these cars. I just scaled mine at a DOT scale -- 3380 lbs w/ 1/4 tanks of fuel. The car has a sunroof and HK sound system

VANOS was dead when I bought it. Beisan is the bomb. I have been using their stuff for a decade, and without their E46 VANOS tutorials I would have been dead in the water. So, full rebuild/update (oil pump, anti rattle, seals, solenoid box) and timing the cams. Reshimmed cams (and at 153k miles, it appears this was the first time), and oil servicing done.

Already replaced the pulley set with underdrive set. I will be installing CSL clone headers, Bimmerworld race collector, and build a full 3.5" single exhaust with 100 cell cat. Active Autowerkes will be supplying the tune. I have lined up 18x9.5 ET35 wheels and will run RE71s until BFG has Rival S 1.5 tires in wider sizes. Suspension will likely be GC D/As revalved for heavier springs. Battery and seats are on the list. I expect to get the car down to 3150-3200 pounds.

Over 6 years with an STX 328 and STR M3, I have developed them about as far as they can be. Frankly, the E36 M3 belongs in STX, but we know THAT won't happen. Meanwhile, all the stuff I learned from the E36s will be incorporated all at once for the E46 M3. The rear welding will be done, and when the subframe is out, all the bushings will be replaced with poly, and all the ball joints will be refreshed with new Lemforder pieces. (That made a HUGE difference on the STR M3 !! NO camber loss due to cornering loads.) Lower camber arm with be replaced with an adjustable piece. Front subframe will be welded as they crack like the E36 ones do.

The Sky was more car than I could manage. When Andy drove it a Nats, a mechanical issue on the second day relegated him to 2nd. I know he was not happy, and since the "failure" was avoidable, I still feel terrible for him. I actually do build them better than I can drive them. In STU, the E46 M3 can be competitive, wet or dry, and my co-driver may be able to to take it to the back of the trophies at 2019 Nats. (We WILL have wet and dry tires, and air inlet SNORKELS if there are "water features" again. )
    Last edited by snaponbob; 10-02-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Might be worth it to change the main and rod bearings if it has that many miles on it. I've seen more than a few higher mileage S54s munch bearings on track. It's a high revving engine with a long stroke, so it's pretty tough on the bottom end in general.

My Cars
    2005 M3,1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Might be worth it to change the main and rod bearings if it has that many miles on it. I've seen more than a few higher mileage S54s munch bearings on track. It's a high revving engine with a long stroke, so it's pretty tough on the bottom end in general.
    Yea,definitely worth considering. I would do a Blackstone oil analysis as a minimum and look for elevated lead or copper readings. While not necessarily foolproof it will give you some idea of rod bearing wear/condition.
    Mike Kenney
    E46 M3

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    I have spoken at length with Karl at Active Autowerke in Miami. He KNOWS his stuff about S54s. The oil galleys in the S54 blocks were changed for 2004 as well as a higher volume pump. He is 100% confident that post 2003 S54s were not afflicted with bearing issues as were 2001-2003 engines. I have spoken with others, and they seem to agree.

As for which bearings, it is the rod bearings that have had issues, not mains. This is exactly why I passed on 2001-2003 M3s when I bought my 2004. BTW, if anyone is replacing rod bearing, use the WPC bearings. They are "IT" for these engines.

My Cars
    No racecars...
    I think you will find this thread quite useful:
    https://apexjunky.com/featured/garag...LkKlQAs.reddit

I spoke with Bryan Heitkotter about an E46 M3 in STU at one point as he had driven Hal Dorton's car back to back against his 350Z. My memory isn't perfect, but I didn't come out of the discussion enthused - he basically said it was a good car and could be a contender but in his opinion did not scare him against his 350Z.

-Mark

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

I spoke with Bryan Heitkotter about an E46 M3 in STU at one point as he had driven Hal Dorton's car back to back against his 350Z. My memory isn't perfect, but I didn't come out of the discussion enthused - he basically said it was a good car and could be a contender but in his opinion did not scare him against his 350Z.

-Mark
    Brian is a freak of nature - a complete alien. He wins jackets on Nexens!!!! I am sure he is not worried about E46 M3, but with me driving, he truly has nothing to fret about!!

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    P.S. After the original 240Z, none looked good. Just not a fan of the 350/370. They look like turtle shells. Generally, not a Nissan fan at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

-Mark
    I have seen that article. Interesting. CHicane is about 45 minutes from my house, and I plan on paying them a visit.

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Just saw this thread. I wouldn't worry too much about the e46 m3 being slow. Conventional wisdom has been bagging on the car ever since it was put in the class, but I don't think most previous Nationals attempts were made with good setups for the car. Matt Ales on the west coast is making a serious run now and if weather hadn't gotten in the way this year, I think he would have been competitive for the win. I've chatted with him a few times as I also hope to leap from FS to STU once I finish grad school. I don't know all of the details of his setup, most of it is fairly standard (18x10's with Re-71r, OSGiken diff, etc.), but I think he has some custom camber plates to get him 4+ deg of front camber, which I understand is pretty critical to make the car fast. I think he also did some exhaust work to move the cat as much as possible within allowance.

Best of luck. I'm glad the car is appearing more in STU. Hopefully I'll be there myself in a couple years.
    Last edited by JustAWhisper; 10-13-2018 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    The cat is a big deal. I was going to install CSL clone headers, but there is NO way to get the new cats within 10-12" of the either OEM cat. So, I am going to modify the stock manifolds and do a system from there back.