RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 328is Auto to Manual Swap

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 328is

328is Auto to Manual Swap

Im slightly new to the whole car mechanic scene and recently my 1997 BMW 328is has had am issue with the transmission i believe. What happens is when i turn the car on and put it into drive, it will not move even when i apple the gas. But if i take it out of automatic and put it into manual, it will drive only in third gear. I have been used to manual transmission for a while and this was my first auto transmission vehicle so i do not know whats causing this problem. If anything i was hoping to be able to swap out the automatic transmission for a manual one if it is possible. The vehicle is completely stock and im not even sure where i need to begin to check for whats causing the issues. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    when in drive - do the revs climb? does the car feel like it wants to move?

have you scanned the car for codes yet - particularly the EGS (transmission computer). this could be anything from a fluid issue all the way to a failing transmission.

if you are interested in completing a swap from auto to manual it is something that can absolutely be done. i wouldn't recommend it for my first DIY foray - it'd be best to have some folks around that are familiar with some of the key steps. at some point, it becomes mostly a clutch job with a few steps extra. there are many posts and writeups about how to swap an e36 auto to manual - it's been done many times. if you want a manual car in the end, it's a very rewarding swap. the car will seem like a much different animal when done!

i would also recommend using quality, OE/OEM BMW parts - the savings in not using quality parts will get more than accounted for in doing things more than once.

a Bentley service manual will be a nice companion too.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Absolutely, the very first step needs to be reading the codes in the DME (engine), EGS (transmission), and ABS (brakes) computers. An OBD code reader can't do this; you need to use a real BMW specific diagnostic scan tool. Tell us the actual words of the codes in these three computers, and we'll tell you where to look, to fix it.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471