Thread: BMW E87 cluster Going crazy

My Cars
    2009 BMW 118I 1 series

Exclamation BMW E87 cluster Going crazy

Hi gents & ladies,

I call on your assistance with a problem that im having,

I recently bought a 2009 BMW 118I E87 but there is a problem with the car when i start the car and drive it the cluster and warning lights go crazy the needles jump up and down all warning lights turn on and off every 10 sec or so then the cluster seems to turn itself off then comes up again for a split second then everything twitches again it seems to affect the radio also because the radio turns off.

Now i have read loads of other posts and threads on other BMW cars but nothing that assists me,

Here is what i have tried so far:

1. I have disconnected the battery and left it over night reconnected the battery but it started doing it again.
    2. I have changed the battery to the correct one it should have according to the battery shop still the same problem.
    3. I have read that the PDC unit could be the root of the problem so i checked if its the PDC but my BMW doesn't have the PDC unit because it didn't come out with the park sensors.

it seems that when the car is hot it gets the bug faster.

im at a los at the moment and don't know what else to check besides that or what could be the root of the problem your assistance would be deeply appreciated

Thank you
    PirateKingZA

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. I know it’s the gauge cluster, but scan it first. The next step is to check the voltage. Whacky voltages cause whacky issues. The voltage should be about 12.7VDC with the engine off. It should be about 14.4VDC with the engine revving at 2000rpm. If that checks out ok then the cluster has to come out. That’s usually pretty easy even with out removing the steering wheel. With the cluster out closely inspect the wiring harnesses and connectors. You could have a broken wire. If those are ok then the cluster has to come apart to check for bad solder joints. Here’s why? Modern electronix are assembled with lead free solder. This was done to prevent the workers from getting lead poisoning. However, lead free solder isn’t very flexible. So, over time solder joints have a tendency to open up as the solder is brittle and can’t take the constant vibrations.