RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2015 320i (N20) - Is the dealer robbing me?

My Cars
    320i (F30)

2015 320i (N20) - Is the dealer robbing me?

This is my first BMW.

I recently got a notification that I needed to add a quart of engine oil about 3,000 miles after I had it changed. I followed the prompt and put in a quart of Castrol 5w30, checked the level and all was good. When I got home I opened the hood and realized that I apparently have a leak somewhere. Oil leaked out of what appears to be the filter housing (bad gasket?) and the belt is wet with oil. Mind you, it makes no noise at all, but my first question is, is it bad to have oil on the belt?

I know it's not ideal but the dealership is trying to charge me $1100 to fix the leak (gasket), change the belt because it's wet with oil, and replace a coolant hose ($500 part with labor). If I had oil in my coolant bad things would be happening. I live in the desert and pay very close attention to that gauge. It is stoic and hasn't moved a degree past it's normal operating temperature since I bought it, yet they are trying to get me to replace a really expensive part when all they should have to do is wipe the hose clean from getting oil on it, right? Here is a break down of the charges, please let me know what you think is necessary to do from what I've told you.

Replacement of drive belt - $283.97
    Replace radiator hose - $564.74
    "Miscellaneous engine repair" "Set oil filter element" - $307.92

Total - $1,156.63

CLIFFS:

Went to dealer to see about a oil leak from oil filter gasket. Serpentine belt got wet from oil leak. Dealer wants to charge sickening money to reset oil filter with new gasket and also make me buy a new belt and coolant hose. Necessary?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The dealer is ripping you off! Go to www.bimrs.org to find a local indie shop that specializes in bimmers.

The gasket needs to be replaced. The belt and the hose can be cleaned with dishwashing detergent or some other mild detergent. Just make sure it’s reinstalled so that it turns in the original direction.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Did they kiss you first?
    Unsure of the reason for the hose, the belt is plausible if oil soaked a long time, otherwise clean it off and forget about it.
    Get a recommendation from your local BMW club for an indy mechanic not interested in sodomizing you.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    320i (F30)
    After looking at the estimate from the dealer, I decided I'm going to order the parts myself (minus the radiator hose) and do this in my garage. I ordered a new serpentine belt and oil filter kit with both gaskets from ECS Tuning. The car has 47k on the odometer so I'll just replace the belt with a new OEM one, clean off the pulleys, change out the filter and add new gaskets then clean up the engine bay.

I legitimately cannot believe dealers get away with marking up parts this much. They wanted to charge $280 for a new belt plus labor. That's just disconnecting the MAF sensor and the stock intake, releasing the tension on the belt, putting a new belt on, re-setting the tension. Maybe 30 minutes if it's your first time. Am I wrong? This kind of practice just doesn't even seem legal!

Thanks for the prompt replies.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    honestly - it's only illegal or theft if they charge for the work and then do not do the work or otherwise fail to repair the vehicle.

but, i get it, dealership rates are going to be high - for a variety of reasons. BMW CCA membership will often make those rates a bit more reasonable as most dealers offer discounts to CCA members.
    some dealers will even price match other dealers on parts - i've used that to my advantage before and in combination with the discount!

finding a quality Indy shop is critical. if you want to do the work yourself - rock on! be sure to get access to the proper repair procedures/manuals, etc. and DO NOT buy cheap/auto store parts.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    320i (F30)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    honestly - it's only illegal or theft if they charge for the work and then do not do the work or otherwise fail to repair the vehicle.

but, i get it, dealership rates are going to be high - for a variety of reasons. BMW CCA membership will often make those rates a bit more reasonable as most dealers offer discounts to CCA members.
    some dealers will even price match other dealers on parts - i've used that to my advantage before and in combination with the discount!

finding a quality Indy shop is critical. if you want to do the work yourself - rock on! be sure to get access to the proper repair procedures/manuals, etc. and DO NOT buy cheap/auto store parts.
    I was being a little bit facetious about the legality. I get it, I just wonder to myself why it is that way. You would think the service department of any BMW dealer is the only division keeping the doors open. There are a plethora of independent BMW shops in Las Vegas, multiple that have five-star reviews on Yelp in the hundreds. That's a comforting thought for sure, but as long as it's within the scope of my mechanical ability...I will be doing the work on this car myself. Where can I get a factory service manual for my car?

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    there's a variety of reasons why a shop (dealer or whomever) charge what they do for their services and work. no different than some restaurants charge more than another.

we can get into a big discussion of book time, etc. as well - but, the fact of the matter is this - having a car serviced in the modern era is expensive, for many and diverse reasons - that's just the way it is.

as i mentioned previously - the BMW CCA (Car Club of America) can be a mitigation in those costs as most dealers offer discounts.
    plus, many chapters have DIY programs and can assist with either special tools or knowledge necessary to perform work on these cars.

there might even be some on this forum that are dealership employees (i'm not), but, you never know. so, food for thought.

anyway - factory manuals are available with a google search (look for newtis). if bentley has a manual for your vehicle, you can check their site too. just search for bentley service manual.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I generally speak very highly of dealerships here....even though they are my "competition". I have not found them, as a rule, to overcharge, given their elevated overhead.

HOWEVER, in this occasion, I have to say that there is something out of kilter.

Mistakes happen: I exploded at out shop's office girl last week, after she wanted to charge a customer almost $500 for changing a bunch of lightbulbs ( each one officially pays .4 hrs).....but they all live together)

The hose pays .8, NOT INCLUDING REFILLING AND BLEEDING --with the part, that's going to cost ~$300. (Refill and bleed adds a gallon of coolant, plus an hour's time)

Drive belt shows 1.2 hours, plus a $60 part; call that $200

NOW, the oil filter housing gasket, and the attached heat exchanger gasket set.....well, that could cost a whole lot more than $300....but it doesn't sound like that's what they're doing...it sounds like they're putting a new o-ring on the oil filter cap? (That's about forty bucks, installed.)

Of course, you will always save a ton of money, doing your work yourself.....unless you make a mistake. But hey, at least you'll be paying attention, right?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471