Thread: E46 zhp prepurchase-seeking thoughts/assistance

My Cars
    e46

E46 zhp prepurchase-seeking thoughts/assistance

Hi all,
    Considering a 2005 ZHP 330ci Convertible w/ just north of 70K miles on it. Three prior owners on the carfax, 1st owner: 3 years, 2nd owner: 6 years, Third owner: 1 year. Looks like after 3rd owner took possession he lightly used the vehicle and after 6 months of ownership and a few miles on the odometer, needed the oil pan gasket replaced. Ultimately 3rd owner traded the car back into the shop where he bought it from at the 1 year mark. Notably, he did not have the gasket job done by that shop but rather the dealership! The shop seems to have a very good reputation. Wondering why he wouldn't have had the shop do the job? Was the prior owner upset that the car was sold to him with the gasket issue looming? Did he trade the car back in because of the other maintenance items the dealership may have suggested the car needed (we know how that goes!). Should I trust the shop as they are now reselling the vehicle and I am the potential buyer? Independent inspection scheduled for tomorrow. Other issues: one prior accident on carfax....No report of frame damage etc but will need to be carefully looked at. Shop claims they believe it to be cosmetic with no sign of frame issue etc. Lastly, other recent service items have included: new clutch, rear shocks exhaust pipe seal and front brakes. Thoughts re: the timing of the new clutch (too soon?) and rear shocks? ANY INPUT AND THOUGHTS GREATLY APPRECIATED! (ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE INDY INSPECTION SHOP FOR TOMORROW GREATLY APPREC AS WELL! THX)
    Last edited by chomd1; 09-18-2018 at 09:04 PM.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Look at google reviews or another reviews site like Angie's list to see if people are complaining about the shop.

These cars have a standard maintenance schedules which in my opinion includes gaskets.

Find out all the prior maintenance done then learn what the maintenance schedules are and get the car up to date... that is if you buy it!

My Cars
    nil
    As long as the oil pan gasket was done, and there are no leaks, might be worth considering. If your not comfortable assessing the vehicle for what it is, you might consider getting a PPI done with someone who knows the mark. Make sure the cooling system, drive line mounts, vanos, and fuel system have been gone through. Exhaust pipe seal(gasket) tells me it needs motor mounts at a minimum and probably been driven more aggressively.
    regards

My Cars
    e46
    Many thanks to you both! Word is that the exhaust pipe seal was done at the same time the clutch was done to provide a new seal rather than reusing the old seal....Car checked out nicely at PPI today...Hoping for some good luck with it