Thread: Fuel injector broke

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan second one

Fuel injector broke

So I replaced my fuel injectors went to start the car it cranked a few times then gas shot out the top of one of the injectors and the car shut off. I went and pulled them back off to see the problem to find one missing the cap and the o ring sitting in the intake manifold. How much damage do you think is done?

P.s I have had some crap luck with this car and every car I have owned.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by fuginusername View Post
    So I replaced my fuel injectors went to start the car it cranked a few times then gas shot out the top of one of the injectors and the car shut off. I went and pulled them back off to see the problem to find one missing the cap and the o ring sitting in the intake manifold. How much damage do you think is done?

P.s I have had some crap luck with this car and every car I have owned.
    I can't tell if you need a new injector or if it just wasn't secured properly. Are you saying the basket cap thing is missing? Like, sucked into the engine kind of missing? That will probably require pulling the intake to find it. If you're lucky it'll be sitting on the valve. Valve lift is in the 10mm ballpark, so there's a chance it wasn't a big enough space to get sucked into the engine.

But yeah, I'd definitely sort that part out.

I would also pull the spark plugs and fuel pump and crank the engine a bit, just in case you have a cylinder full of fuel. It wouldn't hurt to check your compression while you're there.

It's hard to say. I've seen a guy with a totally built motor bend a connecting rod like this - hydrolocked it with gas and had to rebuild the whole motor. And you could (in theory) already be there, too. But I'd be safe and blow it out rather than just throw a new injector on there and call it fixed.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan second one
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I can't tell if you need a new injector or if it just wasn't secured properly. Are you saying the basket cap thing is missing? Like, sucked into the engine kind of missing? That will probably require pulling the intake to find it. If you're lucky it'll be sitting on the valve. Valve lift is in the 10mm ballpark, so there's a chance it wasn't a big enough space to get sucked into the engine.

But yeah, I'd definitely sort that part out.

I would also pull the spark plugs and fuel pump and crank the engine a bit, just in case you have a cylinder full of fuel. It wouldn't hurt to check your compression while you're there.

It's hard to say. I've seen a guy with a totally built motor bend a connecting rod like this - hydrolocked it with gas and had to rebuild the whole motor. And you could (in theory) already be there, too. But I'd be safe and blow it out rather than just throw a new injector on there and call it fixed.
    Yes the basket cap is missing I'm assuming it got sucked in

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    If it shutoff right away and it was a very small piece of metal/plastic it might still be in a cylinder someplace. Could probably see it with a scope. It may also have managed to get flushed down to the pan with the oil if it's not sitting up on the cam trays someplace. If it's the bit I'm thinking of, isn't that too big to get into a valve?
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    .... It may also have managed to get flushed down to the pan with the oil if it's not sitting up on the cam trays someplace....
    ???
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    It would've had to have been shattered/crushed first.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Not gonna happen. It'll get blown out in the exhaust stream first. To get into the oil pan it would need to go either past the rings or through the guides and that means pieces would need to be .0015" or smaller.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Yes the basket cap is missing I'm assuming it got sucked in
    If it got smashed it could be in the engine. If it didn't, it might be sitting ON the intake valve. I'd get one of those cheap bore scopes for your phone and start looking. That could save pulling the intake. You could also put that scope down the plug hole and look down there, too.

If it DID get smashed, it could be in the cylinder or could have been blown out the exhaust, too. A bore scope is a good place to start.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    97 m3 sedan second one
    So I pulled my intake manifold today and found the missing piece sitting on a valve. I picked up a set of 280cc injectors yesterday. After getting the piece of the valve put everything back together my car runs again.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    So I pulled my intake manifold today and found the missing piece sitting on a valve. I picked up a set of 280cc injectors yesterday. After getting the piece of the valve put everything back together my car runs again.
    You've used up your luck. I wouldn't bother with a lotto ticket for a while.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T