Thread: Car not starting after valve cover gasket

My Cars
    Bmw 325xi,2002

Car not starting after valve cover gasket

Hi all. I have a problem with my e46, 325xi,2002. I replaced the valve cover gasket, now I put everything back together and the car is cranking but not starting. Sometimes it kinda starts for something like half of a second and it immediatly shuts off, I cant even rev it for a bit. I checked the connections and they seem fine. the three ground cables on the coils are tight. Checked all fuses with a light, they're all fine. There is fuel pressure. The only thing I can think of, in the process of taking the valve cover out, I broke a tiny vacuum line or something like that.. But I doubt that would be the cause. I'm lost here, please help!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Check for spark at the plugs.

My Cars
    2002 525i, 2002 325ci
    Did you hear the cover crack when tightening down.I seen a guy leave a piece of old gasket(in the center) on the cylinder head,so he snapped the valve cover.with the heat they do get brittle.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by b325xi View Post
    Hi all. I have a problem with my e46, 325xi,2002. I replaced the valve cover gasket, now I put everything back together and the car is cranking but not starting. Sometimes it kinda starts for something like half of a second and it immediatly shuts off, I cant even rev it for a bit. I checked the connections and they seem fine. the three ground cables on the coils are tight. Checked all fuses with a light, they're all fine. There is fuel pressure. The only thing I can think of, in the process of taking the valve cover out, I broke a tiny vacuum line or something like that.. But I doubt that would be the cause. I'm lost here, please help!
    Before you started to take it apart did you start it, move it a few feet and shut it off? If you did it could be flooded. Hold the gas pedal to the floor and let it crank for more time than it usually takes to start it. I'd say up to 20 seconds but let the starter cool off between tries
    You don't want to burn it up. A little oil down each cylinder might help bring up the compression a bit and protect the cylinder walls if the flooding washed them down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Check to see if you’ve caught some wires between the valve cover and the head.