Thread: DIY Welding

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is

DIY Welding

BFC,

Been thinking about welding for a while now, as it seems to be the only thing missing from my redneck race shop (home garage). Curious as to other people's experiences with getting proficient at welding non-critical items (brackets, trailer ramps, etc).

Any good input on if you went with cheap Harbor freight welders or old craigslist welders? If old/used welder, how to know if it is properly functioning? Did you learn via Youtube or some welding forums?

Just throwing some questions out there for the greater group, as it has seemed fairly slow around here for the last couple of years. Any input would be appreciated!

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I've started an article series on this for the Speed Academy guys that might help. The intro is up, the MIG chapter will be up soon.

http://speed.academy/learn-how-to-weld-part-1/

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    weldingtipsandtricks.com is a good place to start. Skip the Harbor machines, they aren't worth their weight in scrap. I'm a big fan of Hobart machines, they're a part of Miller and I have had the Handler 210MVP for about 6 years, 2 years to current being in a shop doing cages and things of that nature. I've heard good things about Everlast and ESAB machines as well but have no first hand experience with them.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    BFC,

Been thinking about welding for a while now, as it seems to be the only thing missing from my redneck race shop (home garage). Curious as to other people's experiences with getting proficient at welding non-critical items (brackets, trailer ramps, etc).

Any good input on if you went with cheap Harbor freight welders or old craigslist welders? If old/used welder, how to know if it is properly functioning? Did you learn via Youtube or some welding forums?

Just throwing some questions out there for the greater group, as it has seemed fairly slow around here for the last couple of years. Any input would be appreciated!
    Big caveat, I've never taken a welding class.
    MIG with flux core wire is about as simple as it gets, there's a reason it's called a metal glue gun. (I started with a Lincoln MIG machine about 30 years ago, and still have that machine. Although it was never used hard.)
    I've switched to using a TIG machine almost exclusively...mainly because it's more challenging and hence more fun,. I also have a Hobart MIG machine, and like it. With MIG, it is a bit of a PIA to switch between welding steel, stainless, aluminum. (TIG is trivial).

Watching vids and reading about it is very helpful, but NOTHING replaces practice. Get a bunch of scrap metal and play with different welds, thicknesses, etc. Horizontal, vertical, upside down, thin to thick, butt, corner, fillet, etc.

Buy a decent machine. Many of the Chinese made machines are pretty good, so don't be afraid of those. You do give up local support from your local welding supply compared to Miller/Lincoln/Hobart. The basics I'd look for:
    - Non harbor freight, LOL
    - 120/240 dual voltage
    - standard easy-to-find-and-replace (non-proprietary) nozzles, gun, attachments, etc.
    - I strongly prefer gas over flux core, so I'd also make sure it came with a regulator and hoses. (flux core is great when welding something in the field or when you drag the welder to a friends house).

A few tips:
    - use a good self-darkening helmet (The HF ones are actually 'ok' IMO, but I'm about to order a $300 helmet...ug), get plenty of light on the joint so you can see what your welding (you should be able to clearly see the joint and filler wire through the helmet lens BEFORE you start the weld), reader glasses (or a +2 welding lens) can make a TON of difference, setup such that you're at least somewhat comfortable and stabilized during the weld, focus on the puddle.

My guess is you'll be doing some good nice MIG welds on simple joints in short time!
    Last edited by aeronaut; 09-19-2018 at 08:52 AM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    +1 to everything that was said. I was you about a year ago when I discovered a ton of rust in my e36 jalopy. I ended going for a new small hobart for the reasons listed above and was quite happy. I found in my area the craigslist ones didn't really knock too much off the new price from Tractor Supply (found a sale), so just bought everything new, including peace of mind. I chose gas over flux cored, since I was doing thin gauge stuff.

There is pretty good info out there on the web and youtube, but as was said....you need to burn some holes in things to get the hang of it.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    I agree with everything said so far.

Just to chime in since I have some experience with a range of welding machines, Nearly anything brand name (Lincon, Hobart, Miller, ESAB, Everlast, AHP) are good. A lot of the new "Cheap" Machines are hard to distinguish in actual use from the big names but like everyone else here said stay away from the cheap HF welders, their Vulcan line is decent but I feel like they are actually a little bit pricey for their feature set compared to other good/cheap brands like Everlast or AHP

Its hard to argue with MIG to start out with but I sorta feel like every home hobbyist should look into getting a cheap TIG eventually since it really makes you feel like you can repair anything anytime once you get the hang of it. Which Weldingtipsandtricks and Chucky2009 are good channels that offer great instruction on nearly everything you can think of for free.

For reference I run a Lincon 200 tig, ESAB 165 Tig and Miller Millermatic 210 mig at work, at home I have a 1980's Hobart Handler 140 Mig and an Everlast Powertig 185DV.
    Last edited by Piner; 09-20-2018 at 01:48 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The MIG or TIG decision for a first timer is always a tough one. In short, TIG is much more flexible and much more difficult and a bit more expensive. MIG is mini-golf, TIG is 18 big boy holes were you hope to have one great shot but never quite get there. MIG shines for steel and for hard to reach stuff. For the record my AHP TIG machine has been rock solid.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    PS, re the craigslist/used welder question; I'm not sure how to tell someone who's never welded to 'inspect' a used welder. I'd have to weld with it to really see if anything is wrong. And when I was shopping, decent used ones were only a few hundred bucks less than a new one. Like all things on craigslist, I'm sure there are good deals if you watch closely and act fast.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    My Z3M's subframe/Trunkfloor needed to be reinforced and I decided to weld in the kit myself. I spent a couple of months watching youtube videos and practicing. I found some metal to practice on at a local bodyshop. There was a learning curve when I went from flux core to gas...also when I went from using one machine to another.

It's a great tool to have that will give you more options in fixing issues.
    -Phil

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    The MIG or TIG decision for a first timer is always a tough one. In short, TIG is much more flexible and much more difficult and a bit more expensive. MIG is mini-golf, TIG is 18 big boy holes were you hope to have one great shot but never quite get there. MIG shines for steel and for hard to reach stuff. For the record my AHP TIG machine has been rock solid.
    So what you are saying is to stick with MIG then! Not sure I am searching for anything that will take that much practice (TIG), more some way to make custom steel brackets for mounting coolers, etc, etc. Also to fix my junky old all steel trailer.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    So what you are saying is to stick with MIG then! Not sure I am searching for anything that will take that much practice (TIG), more some way to make custom steel brackets for mounting coolers, etc, etc. Also to fix my junky old all steel trailer.
    MIG is the way.
    Getting to the point where you can weld 'ok' with TIG isn't horrendous, but if you're welding once a month, and always steel, and usually 1/16" to 1/4" stuff, MIG.

...if you were closer, I'd sell you my old Lincoln for pennies on the dollar.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 09-20-2018 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Damn! I need to road trip to Maryland.

My Cars
    '97 m3/4/5, '95 M3
    If you’re looking at a used craigslist machine I’d start with checking the gas solenoid. Make sure when you trigger on and off the gas flow works correctly. I’ve seen some solenoids fail on gas shutoff (on a tig) and won’t shut the gas flow off. Make sure the wire glides thru the torch lead smoothly. If it needs a new liner it’s not a big deal but will cost you extra. Check the wire feed rollers and make sure the wire grooves are in good shape and not needing replacement. Check wire speed and voltage/amperage adjustments and confirm the full range of adjustment is working. Check gas flow adjustment of the regulator. I’d be nervous if there is no power source to hook it up to test drive it before purchase.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I have been thinking about getting a welder too. I'm probably going to go the TIG route and the above advice is why I'll probably buy new. I'll be starting from scratch and won't necessarily be able to properly inspect something off of craigslist. Having a warranty would be nice as well. I think a muffler delete for my M5 would be a decent first goal.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ TIG is going to take a lot more practice but I think you'll be much happier with the result once you've got the hang of it. Once I bought my TIG for home use I have used my mig a total of two times in the last two years. Its just so much more fun/quiet/less clean up with the tig. Plus when it comes out looking like this its just so satisfying
    39296929_10212852273958547_4523307179297472512_o.jpg
    40389855_10212934427892344_6069061914808287232_o.jpg
    40810546_10212973857318055_7265589814349529088_o.jpg

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I took a mig class at a local shop and it was WELL worth the money. It provided me a big confidence boost/validation that I wouldn't be wasting money if I picked up my own welding machine. I also really enjoyed finally putting into practice the things you see people talk about in all the Welding 101 videos.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    ^ TIG is going to take a lot more practice but I think you'll be much happier with the result once you've got the hang of it. Once I bought my TIG for home use I have used my mig a total of two times in the last two years. Its just so much more fun/quiet/less clean up with the tig. Plus when it comes out looking like this its just so satisfying
    39296929_10212852273958547_4523307179297472512_o.jpg
    40389855_10212934427892344_6069061914808287232_o.jpg
    40810546_10212973857318055_7265589814349529088_o.jpg
    Nice welds! I think I've done that....once.

My Cars
    '97 m3/4/5, '95 M3
    I wouldn’t call it a bad idea, however, 1/8” maximum thickness will start to become a limiting factor somewhat quickly. Floor plates for a cage, exhaust flanges etc are typically 3/16” thick or greater. It’ll probably do 3/16” if you switch to flux core wire but you won’t want to after running gas. For the money tho, being able to fuse metal in your garage with 120v power for only $280 is a major step towards gaining much greater capability.

My Cars
    E30 M3,E28 M5,E39 M5 etc
    I took classes at my local community college in welding as it was something I've always wanted to learn. A few years later and I'm very thankful as it's a great skill to have and a fun hobby of mine now. I bought a AHP AlphaTIG off amazon for just over $600 and it's been great. I'm looking into the new HF vulcan welder... it's pretty mcuh the same as all the other chineese welders but I'd like a MIG machine for quick jobs.

weldingtipsandtricks on youtube is great for learning, but a crusty old welding instructor can teach you loads of practical knowledge.