RM European Auto Parts

Thread: What BMW engine is the easiest to fix?

My Cars
    Don't own one atm.

What BMW engine is the easiest to fix?

ve I want to buy myself a BMW and I want one with an engine that is DIY friendly, or beginner friendly. I've owned a lot of BMW's but never have had interest in learning to fix them. I haven't owned one for over 10 years but during these last few weeks I've been wanting one and wanting to learn to maintain one. I will end up buying either a e24 or an e34. What do you guys think? Is the m50b25 more complicated than the m30b35 for instance?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    E24 & E34 chassis cars are both DIY friendly, not always beginner friendly. All the common repairs are well documented for both if you care to learn and are willing to get dirty.
    The M20 & M30 engines are both uncomplicated and reliable with a slight edge to the larger M30 which doesn't require timing belt changes and is better suited to pulling a heavy car.
    Both cars are a delight to drive when in good condition. Needy examples, especially the E24 can be very expensive.
    Buy the best one you can afford and tend to maintenance before doing anything fancy, if you are so inclined.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    E24 & E34 chassis cars are both DIY friendly, not always beginner friendly. All the common repairs are well documented for both if you care to learn and are willing to get dirty.
    The M20 & M30 engines are both uncomplicated and reliable with a slight edge to the larger M30 which doesn't require timing belt changes and is better suited to pulling a heavy car.
    Both cars are a delight to drive when in good condition. Needy examples, especially the E24 can be very expensive.
    Buy the best one you can afford and tend to maintenance before doing anything fancy, if you are so inclined.
    great advice. also, at least over here - it's hard to find an e34 anymore that isn't rusted beyond repair.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    M50/M52 based engines are also pretty simple to work on and are generally built like tanks. There are also a huge amount of parts for them due to the number of models which used them throughout the 90's. If you get one with VANOS that adds a little complexity, but it's not that big of a deal to work on especially with sites like drvanos out there offering rebuilt units and kits for a reasonable amount.

I'd say you're fine with any of those cars you mentioned. All will be pretty similar in terms of engine maintenance.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Anything with an iron block and a timing chain. After that it's down to how much you like dealing with sensors and computers versus the black magic that are carburetors and distributors.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    M30B35 or B33. 1983 to 1993. While the E24 is the prettiest car BMW's ever made, the E28 is much lighter and faster and easier to work on. The E34 is even heavier, has additional complexity, but has several superior benefits, like better structure, better rear suspension design, better rustproofing. (Sorry shadowpuck, the ones I see are not usually rusted)

Nice E28's and E24's are going up in value rapidly. The "M" versions are joining the E30M3 in the out-of-this-world prices. (Of course, a 2002 M5, dead stock, 450 miles, just sold for $176,000 !)

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    Don't own one atm.
    I'm eager to learn! I know that the e24 is a more expensive car but what about in regards of parts?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    M30B35 or B33. 1983 to 1993. While the E24 is the prettiest car BMW's ever made, the E28 is much lighter and faster and easier to work on. The E34 is even heavier, has additional complexity, but has several superior benefits, like better structure, better rear suspension design, better rustproofing. (Sorry shadowpuck, the ones I see are not usually rusted)

Nice E28's and E24's are going up in value rapidly. The "M" versions are joining the E30M3 in the out-of-this-world prices. (Of course, a 2002 M5, dead stock, 450 miles, just sold for $176,000 !)
    I agree on the e24 being the prettiest one, and the e28 is definitely something I've been looking at also, and the e23. I just want an older model, 1970-1980 BMW that I can care for and learn from, most of the models from that time I find beautiful.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Anything E24 specific will cost more due to rarity and a low survival rate, some things, notably the HVAC system are more complicated, hence more expensive to repair.
    Sniff around for a crack free dashboard for one of these things and you'll see what I mean.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    (Sorry shadowpuck, the ones I see are not usually rusted)
    huh - interesting. any e34 in my area i've run across in many years basically has no doors due to the bottoms trapping mud/dirt/etc. and then rusting out.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    Don't own one atm.
    Anything E24 specific will cost more due to rarity and a low survival rate, some things, notably the HVAC system are more complicated, hence more expensive to repair.
    Sniff around for a crack free dashboard for one of these things and you'll see what I mean.
    Would you consider an e24m30 a good choice for a novice to work on and learn from even though the parts are more expensive than lets say e34 parts?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Novice at mechanics in general or BMWs?
    It will be s steep learning curve if you have no mechanical experience. A three digit IQ and willingness to get dirty or write large checks will serve you well.
    Not sure I'd pick a shark(E24) for MY first automotive venture.

My Cars
    Don't own one atm.
    Novice at mechanics, i have no mechanical experience but heaps of experience in learning new things and now I want it to be mechanics, and it has to be a BMW. If not a shark, what would you pick?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Well, personally, I'd pick an E28....except if I was young, and wanted girls to say "Oooh, what a cool car"....in which case, the E24 wins. You asked what was easiest: that would be the E28. The E24 has things like two damned evaporators in a smaller car, and crawling under the dash to swap a master clutch cylinder will break your back. And the E28 is lighter and faster, and the police pretty much ignore it. Personal choice: look fast, or go fast?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Anything with an iron block and a timing chain. After that it's down to how much you like dealing with sensors and computers versus the black magic that are carburetors and distributors.
    "black magic",lol,you can fix your distributor in the middle of nowhere at 2 am with a screwdriver and a flashlight, try fixing a Motronic box anywhere,albeit, haven't had one die yet..

My Cars
    Don't own one atm.
    Thanks people!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    "black magic",lol,you can fix your distributor in the middle of nowhere at 2 am with a screwdriver and a flashlight, try fixing a Motronic box anywhere,albeit, haven't had one die yet..
    No, no, no. YOU can fix a carburetor and a distributor with a screwdriver. Personally, I can only make them worse. Give me electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection, anytime. THIS, I can fix. A carburetor is a toilet bowl, and I can't make multiple toilets flush perfectly together. I can certainly make them dump gas all over the engine though.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Engine one of the most complicated part of a car. I never heard about the DIY friendly engine. You have to learn each part of a engine and it may took years to learn. I always try to check my car errors using an obd2 scanner https://bestobd2scanners.com/. But, its issue with my engine I go to mechanic without any thinking. Because engine one of the most complex part and you cannot solve engine problem without vast knowledge.
    Last edited by cioko; 12-03-2018 at 09:44 AM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    "Mechanix R Us" worked fer me!

Last week, I couldn't even spell BMW.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412