Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fire extinguisher onboard?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I doubt__at least hope__I'd never use the BMW (type ABC) one pictured above, but Zoran provided that for installation the first time I worked on his car (January 2005); he liked BMW accessories.

Carried in my Healey, I used to have a (2-1/2#) Halotron mounted behind the seat, but when I installed new carpets, I didn't want to redrill the holes. Now it just lays on the floor behind my seat. With three (3) Weber 45 DCOEs being fed gasoline in rubber hoses from an electric pump, and having the trio of them sitting right on top of the exhaust header primary tubes, there's a real chance of needing it one day. That fire extinguisher's not for bling, and given the chance to get the hood propped open quickly enough, minimal damage can be expected, along with near zero cleanup.

I also keep a (same size, 5Lb ?) Halotron hand-held in the shop where I work on other people's cars. Derek makes a good point about the dry-chem types; even if the only thing you wanted to avoid was the mess, let alone degradation of electronics. I would not want the cost difference between a dry-chem and Halon-type replacement fire extinguisher to be the deciding factor in writing off someone's car!

They're like insurance; do you want basic or full coverage? Spend up to get what you want__even the Halon-replacement types probably cost less than your deductible...

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    I've been carrying a 10 lb abc for years,but I'm a 35 yr veteran firefighter who doesn't want to be 2 lbs.short of putting it out,lol,and whats a "vcg" leak,anyhow?

My Cars
    -
    VCG = Valve Cover Gasket

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    An ABC extinguisher is a good option if your goal is to save someone's life, but not to save the car. The powdered agent in ABC extinguishers is corrosive and will destroy electronics. If you spray it in your car, it may not be burning after, but it's going to be ruined all the same.

The alternative is a "clean agent" extinguisher. This used to be Halon 1211, but someone decided that that wasn't "green" enough and a bunch of less-effective alternatives have sprung up since. All of them are far more expensive than an ABC extinguisher, but they will not do more damage than the fire already did.

I keep a 13-pound Ansul Cleanguard (FE-36 clean agent) unit in the garage for car-related stuff. I'm sure it cost someone a pretty penny, but I found it new on Craigslist for a song. If you're in the market, keep an eye out for people selling boats or datacenters that are closing. Clean agents are used very commonly in both situations.

Maybe one like this?

https://www.bakersgas.com/ANS429107....RoCQGIQAvD_BwE

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    That's the same agent as mine, just smaller.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 1983 320i
    I keep one mounted under the driver seat with the VAC bracket. Looks great and gives me peace of mind, and doesn't interfere with seating position. Mounted above the tilt mod kit to clear my weather tech mat.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    That's the same agent as mine, just smaller.

Nice. I think i will do that. Thanks for the info, my man

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
    IMG_7887.JPG
    Mine came from the factory with this one in the trunk

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12