Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fire extinguisher onboard?

fire extinguisher onboard?

who uses a fire ext in the car.....NOT A TRACK/RACE car.....

my street car(z coupe) has a vcg leak...and just the other day man it was crazy smoking....it was getting on ex mani.........and it was in the cockpit.......it made me think how stupid Id feel that car would burn to ground because I was too lazy to fix it..lol....and it made me think how car is getting old, and an onboard fire ext could be a good idea.

whos using one?........mounted how?........

just saw this:

http://www.thebracketeer.com/buy/bra...yABEgIt6fD_BwE

- - - Updated - - -

vac has one ,......and BK has one

so some1 on this forum used this and liked:

http://www.thebracketeer.com/
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 09-18-2018 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I always have. Many years ago my buddy watched his car burn up because he didn't have one. It was a "small" gas leak that he intended to fix "soon". They are cheap insurance. I've kept it in the trunk, and in that area under the hood that's sealed off from the engine, in front of the passenger. I'd like to mount it in the cab, but there's no room.

did u look at the bracket I linked?.....it seems ez and tucked away

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I've witnessed a few car fires, and for at least one of them, I could have helped a guy save his car if I just had an extinguisher on board.

So now, I do. Photo was just from a mock up. I've since repositioned the clamps (so they can't slice your leg off) and relocated to the passenger seat. I used a VAC mount and some other bits from Amazon to build my kit.

20160821_175421.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

yes..Im convinced I need one.

the coupe has become a bit of a garage queen after 19 yrs and 240k miles. And the oil leak at the vcg is bad.....Ive been slack.
    so on sunday I was driving to a hot rod show .....and while sitting at a red lite I actually got smoke in the cockpit....

Man I was nervous the fire had already started.... I shut her down and opened hood w/ huge anxiety...............I was thinking how after 19 yrs and pure love for this car, Id lose her over my slacker ways

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    It's a great idea, but not if I have to look at it every time I get in the damn car. Put it behind the seat, in the trunk, or maybe even hidden under the hood in one of the back huge spaces to the right or left behind the wheel well.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    I carry one in my truck. Years ago I had a Mitsubishi Montreal and the oil cap had cracked and just enough oil was able to spray out of it and hit the cover of the exhaust manifold and lit the engine bay on fire. The mini extinguisher saved the day.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I see some of the extinguisher listed for the bracket are dry chemical type. The dry chemical (ammonium phosphate) is very corrosive to metals, it will make a mess of an engine or tools if not completely removed .It is very fine powder and gets into everything./, Halotron is a gas and costs more but has no cleanup.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M

Same car when I got it (for keeps) releathered seats, and before floormat residue was vacuumed off the floor.

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 09-18-2018 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Thanks for the reminders....I need to fix my vcg and get an extinguisher. Any issues with leaving these in the car parked under the sun?
    https://www.firstalert.com/product/a...ated-5-bc-red/
    -Phil

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Mythbusters pointed that very thing out one time when they were investigating whether a fire extinguisher in the middle of a fire would explode. Modern fire extinguishers have relief valves and don't blow up, they just leak.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Adker View Post
    I see some of the extinguisher listed for the bracket are dry chemical type. The dry chemical (ammonium phosphate) is very corrosive to metals, it will make a mess of an engine or tools if not completely removed .It is very fine powder and gets into everything./, Halotron is a gas and costs more but has no cleanup.
    Our Lemons race requires Halon systems next year...not really excited to put that sort of $ in a $400 car, but whatever.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    It's a great idea, but not if I have to look at it every time I get in the damn car. Put it behind the seat, in the trunk, or maybe even hidden under the hood in one of the back huge spaces to the right or left behind the wheel well.
    I wont mind eyeballing it at all........and after a few weeks I wont even notice it Im sure

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

Same car when I got it (for keeps) releathered seats, and before floormat residue was vacuumed off the floor.

Hey Randy, that looks very clean and moves with the seat so it won’t restrict any seat movement. What type a mount is it and what is the size of the can? I looked under my seat and looks like you might had to fabricate a cross member there?

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    did u look at the bracket I linked?.....it seems ez and tucked away
    I used that bracket. Worked great, easy install, and very secure.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    I wont mind eyeballing it at all........and after a few weeks I wont even notice it Im sure
    If it works for you. But I'm just not made that way, i'm very feng shui and that fire engine red can under my feet in a black/blue interior would just make me want to stab my eyes out. lol

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    If it works for you. But I'm just not made that way, i'm very feng shui and that fire engine red can under my feet in a black/blue interior would just make me want to stab my eyes out. lol
    They have them in black and chrome... you can wrap it in matching blue too

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    Years ago I had a chrome version of this fire extinguisher mounted in my 1983 320i similar to this:

I bought and installed it after I had lawn mower blade, that had fallen off a truck in front of me, puncture my gas tank. I had just filled the tank and it was empty within 1/10 of a mile leaving a trail of white smoke and fumes for the entire distance (I'd guess from the gas being heated by the nearby muffler). Fortunately the gas was never ignited. In retrospect that little fire extinguisher would have been worthless had those fumes ignited. I never had to use it, but it was there for over 10 years just in case. I liked the way it looked. To each his own I guess.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Paint it black! If you're going to carry an extinguisher, it may as well be as accessible as possible.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Yes, far better to put it in an inaccessible place when you MOST NEED IT, like a engine compartment or trunk engulfed in flames.

Seriously, it happens, and the car's a write off.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-9-789-901/amp/
    I’ve yet to muster the energy to install mine, but I’ve bookmarked the instructions.
    Last edited by robrez; 09-20-2018 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Yes, far better to put it in an inaccessible place when you MOST NEED IT, like a engine compartment or trunk engulfed in flames.

Seriously, it happens, and the car's a write off.
    this is the same reason you should keep one in your bedroom too. So you can get out of your house if necessary.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    this is the same reason you should keep one in your bedroom too. So you can get out of your house if necessary.
    I keep one in the bedroom, but for different reason!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    An ABC extinguisher is a good option if your goal is to save someone's life, but not to save the car. The powdered agent in ABC extinguishers is corrosive and will destroy electronics. If you spray it in your car, it may not be burning after, but it's going to be ruined all the same.

The alternative is a "clean agent" extinguisher. This used to be Halon 1211, but someone decided that that wasn't "green" enough and a bunch of less-effective alternatives have sprung up since. All of them are far more expensive than an ABC extinguisher, but they will not do more damage than the fire already did.

I keep a 13-pound Ansul Cleanguard (FE-36 clean agent) unit in the garage for car-related stuff. I'm sure it cost someone a pretty penny, but I found it new on Craigslist for a song. If you're in the market, keep an eye out for people selling boats or datacenters that are closing. Clean agents are used very commonly in both situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast