Thread: e32 753i auto OIL AND WATER IN EXPANSION TANK

My Cars
    1992 BMW E32 735I

Post e32 753i auto OIL AND WATER IN EXPANSION TANK

Hey guy im new to this so forgive me

i have i great bmw e32 735i auto......runs and drives perfectly except for the fact that i get oil in my expansion tank......
    I thought it could be my oil cooler for my gearbox that leaks in to radiator.....so i bought a new seperate cooler and blocked off my oil cooler holes on my radiator...

I dont have misfire or anything but every 4 to 5 days i must flush my radiator becuase the oil clogs my lines.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanx

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    First you must be sure what oil comes into mix with the coolant.
    Your car has a 4HP22 ZF automatic transmission, that has a dipstick to check the fluid. Is the fluid level going down?
    Is the mixture coolant/oil reddish? Usually ATF is red color, some not.
    Engine oil: same, check the fluid level of engine oil with the dipstick.

I understand you completely blocked out the ATF cooler part in the radiator and made a separate ATF cooler. In that case I see no possibility that ATF is mixing with the coolant.
    Original is this version, the one part of the radiator is for ATF cooling http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...owse/radiator/

So in my opinion there could be 2 cases, one is that in the coolant system there is still some old ATF. Did you flush the system?
    Or engine oil is mixing with coolant, and that would point to a possible head gasket problem. But then you would see the engine oil level drop?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1992 BMW E32 735I
    ok il monitor my oil levels and see......
    Also tell me the oil filter housing can the gasket being broken also cause water and oil to mix?
    Last edited by shogun; 09-18-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: please use reply instead of reply with quote

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    you mean the engine oil filter housing gasket # 2 ? http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...em_oil_filter/

I do not know the M30 engine well, but I assume that if the gasket is damaged you will just have some engine oil leaking to the outside of the engine, bur not mixing with coolant

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    That's most definitely head gasket. There's no other way for oil and coolant to mix. You may not be overheating because the split is between the coolant and oil passages. If your oil filter gasket is damaged it will only leak oil at the side of the block.

Head gasket job for this engine is fairly easy. The head can be taken out in less than 2 hours if you take the intake and exhaust manifold along with the head. From there they can be removed easier. Better to have your head rebuilt while it's off, have it check for warpage, then resurface if needed.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Ways to Test a Head Gasket
    Coolant Pressure Test
    Cylinder Compression Test
    https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/3...ad-Head-Gasket

My Cars
    1992 BMW E32 735I

Angry

So just an update..........used some loctite head and block fix two days ago......didnt work.....still mixing oil and water in radiator and this morning i got to work , went inside and came out 5 min later to my top radiator hose that exploded......replaced the hose and went for a head gasket test and radiator leak test and both results show there is nothing wrong....

Was advised to clean the sludge from my radiator by expert and he told me radiator flush is shite i should use engine cleaner.....
    Busy doing that right now and has been running for 30 min and no swollen pipes and no overheating??????