RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No crank

My Cars
    03 325i

No crank

hey guys new to the forum and new to the bmw scene. This is gonna sound really bad and make me look like I'm trying to steal cars but I can promise you I'm not can provide any info that I have to show the opposite. I bought a 2003 325i no title no keys searched the vin didn't come back stolen so I got it real cheap went to texas dmv and they are going to issue a bonded title just waiting for it to come in the mail now, so I went out got a ignition ews both box and computer out of a 2003 325i but it was the convertible version now I still don't have any crank everything else seems to work fine electric now my question is are those parts not inter changeable or maybe the ones I got were bad I didn't check power to the starter cause I no I have to take the intake off to do that so was trying to avoid that as long as possible any help would be greatly appreciated.

No crank problem solved now it's a rough idle.
    Last edited by codylee91; 09-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by codylee91 View Post
    hey guys new to the forum and new to the bmw scene. This is gonna sound really bad and make me look like I'm trying to steal cars but I can promise you I'm not can provide any info that I have to show the opposite.

I bought a 2003 325i no title no keys searched the vin didn't come back stolen so I got it real cheap went to texas dmv and they are going to issue a bonded title just waiting for it to come in the mail now.

I went out got a ignition ews both box and computer out of a 2003 325i but it was the convertible version now I still don't have any crank everything else seems to work fine electric now my question is are those parts not inter changeable or maybe the ones I got were bad I didn't check power to the starter cause I no I have to take the intake off to do that so was trying to avoid that as long as possible any help would be greatly appreciated.
    well, nope - just grabbing an ews out of another car and putting it in another random car isn't going to work. wouldn't be much of a security system if that was the case.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    After you get a title in your name, go to the dealership with your driver's license and the title, and order a key from BMW.

Since you tried swapping in an EWS from a different car, you now need to have the EWS and DME aligned, after reinstalling the original EWS.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hang on....you said you had no key.....so what did you use to turn the ignition lock?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’m betting a big axx screwdriver!

My Cars
    03 325i
    The car had no steering column in it so didn't have to remove the hold ignition

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You changed the ews, key, and engine computer, right?

Are you 100% sure that the key in that set matches the set?

You need a diag scan to see what is going on.

- - - Updated - - -

No starter = key mismatch.

Of course you need to make sure you have a working key reader ring too.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    03 325i
    I just looked at ews and dme boxs part numbers aren't even close so pretty sure that's the reason gonna try and grab a new set with matching numbers I'll post a update when I do

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The part numbers have nothing to do with it. All the secret immobilizer is inside in encrypted memory.
    Your approach to this isn't optimal. You need a way to discern if you have a power issue, a wiring issue, or an immobilizer issue. Swapping parts repeatedly only adds more complexity.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    03 325i
    Ok so I messed with it a little today and actually talked to bimmer merchant and was told my setup should work when I put my key in with the original dme and ews I get all electrical windows lights etc... when I put the key in with the dme and ews that goes with it I get the same thing but also get chime telling me the key is in the ignition I didn't get that with the original parts I was told this means the car is recognizing the key he told me that most likely I am looking at another problem like starter, fuse, relay etc... I also can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn key out when I go to crank I hear nothing lights don't dim it's like it doesn't even try so my question is is there a way to jump the starter to see if it's bad or do I have to remove the whole intake to put power to it to see if it cranks sorry for the long story was just trying to put all the info out there.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    ...................... sorry for the long story was just trying to put all the info out there.
    It's not the length of the story, its the length of the sentence. Try using some punctuation, man.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    It's not the length of the story, its the length of the sentence. Try using some punctuation, man.
    yup - I made it a little way through the first sentence or so and said I’m done.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Cody, you need to slow down. You need to stop listening to the "bimmer merchant", and you need to use some punctuation, so we can read your words.

Most of all, you need to stop shuffling parts, because it makes diagnosis impossible.

The steering column's not in the car? So therefore you don't have an antenna ring encircling the key? GUESS WHAT WON'T WORK? Put the car together!

You almost certainly need to have the DME and EWS aligned, before you can start it, but you certainly need to have the key through an antenna ring before it'll crank.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    03 325i
    Got steering column, ignition, dme, ews out of donor car it's all in right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the punctuation not my strong suit.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Read the codes in all computers with a BMW specific diag tool, and align the EWS and DME.

Personally, I'd put all the original stuff in, because the diagnostics have not been done, so you're just guessing, and complicating the situation with unknown parts. Plus, if you follow your present course, when you're done, you'll have a car that you have to use 2 different keys for, and you can never buy another key....not ever!

First, diagnose, THEN throw parts.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    03 325i
    The problem with that is I don't have original key. As of right now everything is from the donor car. I have the following parts dme, ews, ignition, door lock, trunk lock, glove box lock, radio. Basically everything that had to do with a key I replaced it because I did not have the column nor the key.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You can order the original key, as soon as you have a title. The column isn't important either, just the lock and cylinder that it fits. You can order the lock and key together, from the dealer, with a title and license. If you replace all the locks, ews, DME, you're still going to FOREVER have a car that you cannot buy a key for.

Sure, it CAN be done, swapping absolutely everything, but it creates a much poorer car, and makes it unfixable in normal ways. I highly recommend that you follow the given path, and not a hack.

And....hell....if you're GOING to hack it, hack it the right way and just have EWS disabled. (I recommend against this, because it's a good system which generally doesn't fail unless someone messes with it.....AND, if you ARE determined to mess with the system, you're going to need an appropriate diag tool to align the DME and EWS, if you happen to make any error in the swap, or some damned computer gets pissed off. At least you can still buy a key..

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    03 325i
    Ok didn't know you could order both from dealer thanks

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Ok didn't know you could order both from dealer thanks
    I ordered a key for an 01 X5 a few months ago. I think it was ~$150. Was easy, took a week or so.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    03 325i
    Ordered the key and ignition today, said it should be here Tuesday I'll let you guys know what happens.

My Cars
    03 325i
    Got the ignition and key in. Still no crank now I get a click though. When I turn key I hear fuel pump turn on but when i turn the key to the start position I here a clicking last for about 5 seconds. But it's not coming from the starter it sounds like a relay and I know I have plenty of battery even tried jump starting it to just make sure any ideas?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You need to read the codes from the DME and EWS computers. After that, you test whether the activation terminal of the starter is actually getting excited (12volts), when you turn key to start position. Then check engine main ground and battery voltage when turning key to start.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    03 325i
    Ground was loose thanks for the help all good now.

My Cars
    03 325i
    Hey guys having another problem now. Engine is running rough feels like it missing, I unplugged each one of the coils one by one while it was running to see if I could find a dead cylinder. No luck only got worse so that tells me all the plugs and coils are working or am I wrong about that. like I said new to the bmw's and you guys were very helpful last time so hoping some of you got the answer.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You still need to read all the codes from the computers, with a BMW specific diagnostic machine, and maybe also add a smoke test of the intake system, with a smoke machine.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast