Thread: Noob advice - Z3 stereo build (pioneer nex content)

My Cars
    pending

Noob advice - Z3 stereo build (pioneer nex content)

Hi all! Recent 1998 Z3 Roadster owner, picked up with less than 38k miles. 5 speed 2.8l.

20151115_172606.jpg

(Please don't bust my balls about search, although many helpful topics exist, none have quite the answers I need).

About to install Pioneer 3400 NEX...y'know, that flip up touch screen with Apple Car Play.

Anyways, on my 98' Z3, it has the Harmon/Kardan stereo with the single amp in trunk but double 5in subwoofer setup in between the seats. Weird, but works fine.

As far I can tell every speaker is working flawlessly...save for the headunit which doesn't adjust volume anymore. Wanted to try connecting into factory amp for time being.

Is there a wiring harness out yet that allows for independent control of the sub through the receiver? Or have others figured out a solution?

This is Metra harness is llug/play but supposedly doesn't allow for independent subwoofer control:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Metra-70-8591...8591/691198278

The 3400 nex Headunit alresdy has RCA out for front and rear, left and right plus sub.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by GlideOn; 09-17-2018 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I won't be worth the hassle. Run rca to the trunk and replace the amp and speakers they're paper cones and odd impedance. You be happier if you do.

My Cars
    pending
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I won't be worth the hassle. Run rca to the trunk and replace the amp and speakers they're paper cones and odd impedance. You be happier if you do.
    Won't be worth the hassle? A simple wiring fix vs almost a grand worth of equipment anywhere close to OEM quality??

I appreciate the response, but care to make a practical recommendation as to what you have in mind ?
    Last edited by GlideOn; 09-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    It won't be worth the hassle if you are expecting great sound. The standard HK amp has a LOT of distortion, low power, and runs through pretty lousy speakers. The 5" "subwoofers are a joke, and the front footwell speakers don't project high end sounds well. I put a Kenwood head unit in, kept the old amp, and replaced all the speakers. Sounds great until you really want bass, or high volume. Then, the distortion shows up, and you just have a lot of loud noise. But, at reasonable volumes, with good speakers (Alpines in my case) you can get away with it.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    When I bought my 98 M roady it had blow speakers and questionable volume control. Searched endlessly on the forums and majority said replace the whole system. This approach is fine but I have two kids in college and that didn’t fit the budget. First thing I did was replace the speakers with EXL-SQ5.25 DS18 3 ohm speakers from Amazon. Sounded ok but not great and was able to squeeze two in the HK sub woofer box. All for about 100 bucks. Then the volume control went up. Replaced the head unit with a JVC KD-RD98BTS for about $85. It was a huge improvement and sounds pretty good through the HK amps. It was the head unit that had most of the distortion. Satisfied for now as it is a convertible not a concert hall.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    My first upgrade project replaced the front & rear speakers along with the amp. My OEM head unit and CD player worked fine and sounded great. That was a fairly cheap upgrade costing around $700 for a 5 channel alpine amp and alpine rear 4" mbquart 5.25" components for front and a 8" sub and enclosure replacing the stock location unit. I put everything together over time and found a wiring schematic here on the forum. Finding the speakers in the harness is easy while replacing the speakers/amp. There are differences over the years so make sure you're referring to the right one. If your new head unit has sub out on the harness you wouldn't have to run rca just tone out a pair to the trunk. The alpine I used would separate out sub sig from a stereo only input. The stock system is fine to a point but it really depends on what you're after.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf Here's a link to electrical schematic. This may be for M only but should be close. I don't see a separate sub output off of the head unit so I don't think you can adjust sub output through the stock amp. So unless you run rca to a new amp or install a separate volume knob from the aftermarket amp you won't be able to adjust sub level independently
    Last edited by z3forlife; 09-18-2018 at 10:28 PM.

My Cars
    pending
    I'm going with my gut instinct and I'm going to get the Metra harness which hooks up to the existing Harman Kardon system. I may not have direct control of the subwoofer, but knowing and being familiar with the Pioneer products, 13 band EQ, loudness controls, and bass boost I'm sure I'll be able to coax some decent performance out of the existing subwoofer.

But to be on the safe side, I'm also going to run out pairs of RCA's to the truck. At the very least this allows for an installation of a future monoblock to a dedicated subwoofer should I desire that.
    Last edited by GlideOn; 09-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    Please post up pics when installed. I just installed a nice Apple Carplay unit in the 911, and love it. However, I still have an old Sony Xplod unit in the M Coupe and would love to go with a new Apple compatible flip up unit, but am concerned it will interfere with the A/C vents?
    Ben

'00 M Coupe (my daily for almost 10 glorious years now)
    '09 911 (wife's daily/my bucket list)
    '08 Z4 Coupe (wife's, sold, sometimes regrettably)
    '91 E34 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
    '88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    M Coupe, A4 Avant , MGB
    Also interested.... It looks as though the head unit it too deep based on manufacturers specs, have you tried to pop it in the slot and checked real world fit?

My Cars
    pending
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring Rat View Post
    Also interested.... It looks as though the head unit it too deep based on manufacturers specs, have you tried to pop it in the slot and checked real world fit?
    No I haven't, this weekend starts the install.

Although this image on a German Z3 user forum gave me hope, considering the X7800bt unit has the same dimensions:

image.jpg

It also has the ability to extend the screen assembly an additional inch in case air vents are an issue as they are with so many. They've thought of it.
    Last edited by GlideOn; 09-25-2018 at 06:29 PM.

My Cars
    pending
    Apologies for the delay, but I'm happy to report that the install of this flip-screen unit was a success!

The Metra harness worked fine, I suppose any aftermarket metra/scoche harness would work fine as it it purely L/R we are wiring to, most important is wiring the blue remote wire to turn on the amplifier (learned the hard way, lol!)

I followed the old fashioned method of removing aftermarket sleeve, puting into place of the din opening and bent a few of the tab cutouts, ensuring a tight, lasting fit. The plethora of wiring harneses required a little bit of persistence to move way into the back of the din opening but was able to do successfully despite the tight fit everything is fine and not compromised or overheating in anyway.

Although the resting screen could be a hair angled more upwards, the fact that I have a working, hands-free (mostly) touchscreen unit in a vehicle previously void of any hint of modern radio technology is a positively estatic experience. The a/c vents are moderately blocked, but the car cools all the same. Easily compensated through turning on the dash vents or simply allowing a minute for the car to run and cool beforehand. It's enough for my needs with or without the top in 88° and 90% humidity weather here in South Florida.

It sounds more than fine and noticably clearer than before. I was worried that due to the limitations of the factory wiring of left and light channels only, I would not have dedicated subwoofer controls for the bass frequencies, but I'm happy to report that along with the unit in of itself, the 13 band EQ and a little bit of bass boosting that this is a non-issue. The factory crossovers appear to do a fine job isolating the bass to the subwoofer with the proper adjusting.

I'm sure I would be happiest with better speakers, better amplification in the near future but for the Weekend Warriors who are just fine with the stock audio, looking more so to improve the hands-free experience and to have GPS in car, this is a completely worthwhile upgrade.

I didn't have an opportunity to get pictures of the GPS and Apple Carplay functions while in motion, understandably this was quite difficult to do by myself with a 5-speed, LOL.

More to come later.

20181003_220750.jpg

20181003_220743.jpg

20181003_215802.jpg

20181003_215718.jpg
    Last edited by GlideOn; 10-22-2018 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster

How is this working after a couple years?

After 1.5 years, how is the system working for you? I am considering installing the same unit in my 2000 M Roadster.

Also, where did you run the USB cable (for CarPlay) and the microphone cable to? Did you make modifications to accomodate them?

My Cars
    pending
    Quote Originally Posted by ER23 View Post
    After 1.5 years, how is the system working for you? I am considering installing the same unit in my 2000 M Roadster.

Also, where did you run the USB cable (for CarPlay) and the microphone cable to? Did you make modifications to accomodate them?

It's still great!

I ran a 6ft cable through for car play/android auto the bottom of the passenger side center channel panel. Sticks out the bottom but it was hardly on tight to begin with and not noticable being black carpet on bottom.

I did add a monoblock subwoofer and 8in' shallow mount box, flat in trunk. I plan on converting the existing center channel HK sub box to a storage compartment so I regain the space used for a sub and make better use of it in the cab where it is needed more.

I will admit that I often run the radio with the screen tucked in neatly away and just enjoy the convertible, Roadster experience. I appreciate having the touch screen and ability to navigate to oddball places via maps and it is comforting to know that I can, at any time press a button to move the screen out to reengage navigation mode so I can shift, feel the breeze and have no other distractions.

It's not so much that I HAVE a large, easily readable screen, but the ability to put it away when not needed - much like the convertible top itself - is really nice.

IMHO, it's greatest strength is versatility.

P.S. - It is still a 20 year old car and feels like it. If I had unlimited resources, I would do many things to refine and improve to today's standards such as fabricating a dash to accommodate a double din screen, putting it higher into view or swapping the radio where the air vents are currently and vice/versa.

But as far as it being relatively plug n' play, it's very, very nice and a big improvement to the usability of the car.
    Last edited by GlideOn; 08-01-2020 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by GlideOn View Post
    It's still great!

I ran a 6ft cable through for car play/android auto the bottom of the passenger side center channel panel. Sticks out the bottom but it was hardly on tight to begin with and not noticable being black carpet on bottom.

I will admit that I often run the radio with the screen tucked in neatly away and just enjoy the convertible, Roadster experience. I appreciate having the touch screen and ability to navigate to oddball places via maps and it is comforting to know that I can, at any time press a button to move the screen out to reengage navigation mode so I can shift, feel the breeze and have no other distractions.
    Thanks! Any chance you could post a photo of where the USB cable comes out of the center channel panel?

Also, with the screen out, do you find that it blocks the vents or are you still able to get air flow?