Thread: Spare connector inside driver doors

My Cars
    E39 530D

Spare connector inside driver doors

I have changed driver doors this weekend and now have spare connector near lock. On old doors it goes into lock from below. Any ideas what it does?

Car is EU, so now I have UK passenger door.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah, you screwed up a little. Maybe fixable.

The drivers door is the only one that allows remote activation/deactivation of the central locking system. So your original door had switches in there to trigger the full car alarm-activation/lock and deactivate/unlock. Of course the stupid Brit door from the wrong-side-of-road-driving doesn't have those switches in there.

So I"m gonna guess that's what those extra wires are and that if you lock the car w/ the remote now, you won't be able to manually unlock the whole car, or deactivate the alarm.

Probably it will be not too tough to swap your original door lock w/ the switches over though. Hell that doors key cylinder doesn't work for you anyway, right? If you just slapped the door on and it still has the UK lock in it?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Well everything works with remote. And there's no key hole at all on new ones. Tbh i dont really care. Never used a key to unlock car.

My old door was rusted and had replacement for almost a year. Forced myself to change when window stopped working and old lock opens the door only from third time. It locks and unlocks fine, juet when pulling handle from outside doors doesnt want to let go. So dont kniw if it's whole thing with lock or just handle.

In short i'm fine with it. I just wanted to ask what i will miss. If it's just lock with key then i will not try to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yeah, you screwed up a little. Maybe fixable.

The drivers door is the only one that allows remote activation/deactivation of the central locking system. So your original door had switches in there to trigger the full car alarm-activation/lock and deactivate/unlock. Of course the stupid Brit door from the wrong-side-of-road-driving doesn't have those switches in there.

So I"m gonna guess that's what those extra wires are and that if you lock the car w/ the remote now, you won't be able to manually unlock the whole car, or deactivate the alarm.

Probably it will be not too tough to swap your original door lock w/ the switches over though. Hell that doors key cylinder doesn't work for you anyway, right? If you just slapped the door on and it still has the UK lock in it?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Right! No hole in the UK door!

Yeah yeah I never use the door lock either normally, but its not quite that simple my friend.

Keep this in mind - if your remote fails or the remote-system inside the car fails, or the car battery dies, you are possibly totally forked.

The one thing you need to remember is - if its just the wireless-opening that isn't working - you SHOULD be able to use the same master-unlock functionality to unlock the whole car from the trunk lock. Some day that information might save you having to break a window. Lodge that in the memory banks, seriously...

If the car battery dies then you'll have to manually open the trunk, replace/recharge the battery, then close the trunk again and use that key cylinder to again unlock the whole car.

If the overall locking system farts out somehow, even w/ a charged battery, then you're back to smashing windows. If you have a door lock in the drivers door of course you could unlock it and get in but without that you're smashing windows if the electric locking fails.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Right! No hole in the UK door!

Yeah yeah I never use the door lock either normally, but its not quite that simple my friend.

Keep this in mind - if your remote fails or the remote-system inside the car fails, or the car battery dies, you are possibly totally forked.

The one thing you need to remember is - if its just the wireless-opening that isn't working - you SHOULD be able to use the same master-unlock functionality to unlock the whole car from the trunk lock. Some day that information might save you having to break a window. Lodge that in the memory banks, seriously...

If the car battery dies then you'll have to manually open the trunk, replace/recharge the battery, then close the trunk again and use that key cylinder to again unlock the whole car.

If the overall locking system farts out somehow, even w/ a charged battery, then you're back to smashing windows. If you have a door lock in the drivers door of course you could unlock it and get in but without that you're smashing windows if the electric locking fails.
    But but but.... My rear seats are folding down or how to call it!

So I have a way to get in if needed. But seriously I will need to check that old lock what is not working good. If it's only handle then I change it. If not I will leave it like that for now. Have more things to fix.

Edit: my passenger doors doesn't have key hole either.
    Last edited by TooEasyL2P; 09-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by TooEasyL2P View Post
    But but but.... My rear seats are folding down or how to call it!

So I have a way to get in if needed. But seriously I will need to check that old lock what is not working good. If it's only handle then I change it. If not I will leave it like that for now. Have more things to fix.

Edit: my passenger doors doesn't have key hole either.
    OK cool if you have folding seats you're better off for the emergency for sure! (can you unlatch the seats from inside the trunk though?)

Folding seats was available, but a surprisingly uncommon option over here...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    OK cool if you have folding seats you're better off for the emergency for sure! (can you unlatch the seats from inside the trunk though?)

Folding seats was available, but a surprisingly uncommon option over here...
    That's a good question. Went to check and it seems no. Well at least it doesn't have latch or something. Tho my old car (not BMW) had latches from the trunk.
    Need to test, but I'm confident that I could reach from inside through that ski hole. Or not. I have full trunk now, don't want to take everything out just to test

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well - at least now you're aware. Maybe theres a way to run a little emergency cable into the trunk area.

It shouldn't be that hard to swap the old door handle over w/ the right switches in it though. That'd sort you right out...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    I managed to change dor by myself, i think changing lock will be easy. But dont know if that lock is good. It had problems before.
    Well - at least now you're aware. Maybe theres a way to run a little emergency cable into the trunk area.

It shouldn't be that hard to swap the old door handle over w/ the right switches in it though. That'd sort you right out...

My Cars
    E39 530D

I have one problem now. Can open window with one press, cant clowe with one press. Is it hardware or software problem?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    You probably have to re-set it. Try running it all the way up and holding the button after its closed for a few seconds.

If not, then the 'pinch protector' at the top of the window may not be wired in or may be broken. That's the sensor/switch that detects if something is closed in the window or not so that - unfortunately - you can't close the window on a small child's neck. Not that you want to do that to all children... just some of them... you know the ones I mean.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Will try to reset. It was working before, and i used it from my old door. And it's connected 100%
    You probably have to re-set it. Try running it all the way up and holding the button after its closed for a few seconds.

If not, then the 'pinch protector' at the top of the window may not be wired in or may be broken. That's the sensor/switch that detects if something is closed in the window or not so that - unfortunately - you can't close the window on a small child's neck. Not that you want to do that to all children... just some of them... you know the ones I mean.

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Found time to get to this problem. That sensor is connected to this brown wire? Or maybe i connected it wrong. And what are those 2 empty slots? That blue i guess is for middle speakers? Which i dont have.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooEasyL2P View Post
    Will try to reset. It was working before, and i used it from my old door. And it's connected 100%