My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3

Another sad lock out case E53 X5

My bad for not fixing the broken handle on this 2005 yet. I would always leave the drivers window ajar in the summer unlock the car, reach in and pull the handle or unlock car open the back door and reach over the drivers seat and pull the drivers side handle. Today I did not full close the door on the first shut and after pushing the door in the second time to fully shut it I somehow did not fully close it or trip the appropriate switch because now the key won't make all the doors unlock as it would always do before and the remote fob will not unlock the car.

The locksmith used a plastic wedge and the bladder method to put a rod through the gap and grip the handle but some secondary mechanism has rendered that plan inoperable and to complicate things my rear latch is not working at this time, locked shut.

The only option I can think of is having it towed to my indy mechanic if he wants to take it on, he has got in before once for me.

I did hear of some secret trick that is not generally posted that you can get from some more experienced wrenches in the group and if that is the case please drop me some crumbs to find my way home so to speak.

I am trying to keep an x3, an m3, and this x5 going and am not a car thief, thats for sure. My skill level is moderate perhaps, control arm bushings, radiators, brakes and water pumps are my skill level, also a window dog.

My sincere thanks to all the great people that make this group so rewarding, positive and productive. Many of you have helped me an incredible amount over the years and I appreciate it.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Can you get the convenience open feature to work? If you can, this will roll down the windows...and if the car hasn't been double locked (locked with the remote fob or using the driver's exterior door lock cylinder) all of the interior door handles should be functional and open.

If the car has been double-locked...then you will need to perform the "special" emergency unlock procedure for opening the doors from the interior (after double locking the vehicle). Post back if you need that info and DON'T have your owners manual if you can get the windows down and reach your glovebox/owners manual.

Oh...btw, if you don't know what the convenience open feature is...if you press & hold the unlock button on the remote (or insert the key into the exterior driver's door lock cylinder then turn & hold in the unlock position)...the windows then sunroof should open. If you release the key or the button on the remote fob...the windows/sunroof will stop opening.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question. Since you spent some time answering my question I think I should at least explain the outcome. The car ended up getting towed to my mechanic and he used the same wedge, bladder and pull the handle technique the locksmith used but he was successful, the locksmith was not very good it appears. The whole root of the problem is that one of the battery connections was loose. If you ever come to the Denver area please send me a pm and we will have you and your family over for dinner. It may sound a bit loco but that the way I roll.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Thanks for posting back that you got the issue resolved...and thanks for the invite if I'm in Denver.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    01 325 Ci
    I'm having similar problem with 01-325 Ci. Fob battery is dead. Key will turn to right to lock doors, Will not turn at all to the left to unlock. We can't get doors to unlock. 3 locksmith techs spent 2 hours trying to push console lock button with air bladder and reachers but failed.Went to dealership to discuss wit service managers. 3 of them stumped. We are at a loss as to how to unlock the car beside breaking glass or drilling cylinder of door lock. Please help.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I'm not very familiar with 3 series models...do you have a trunk lock cylinder? If yes, does it not lock/unlock the entire car just like the driver's door exterior lock cylinder?

Another thought...have you tried spraying a lubricant into the driver's door lock cylinder. If the remote has been used 99% of the time since 2001...that's almost 19 years of the lock cylinder never being turned to the manual UNLOCK position. It may be seized up...perhaps some lock lubricant can help it break loose.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.