Thread: 2008 BMW 535i - E60 / N54 - Attempting to remove alternator

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i (e60 N54)

2008 BMW 535i - E60 / N54 - Attempting to remove alternator - SOLVED

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on BimmerForums and i'm hoping to get some help removing my alternator from my E60, N54. I have read many many online posts / how-to's regarding removing the alternator from the car but haven't been able to find info for specifically the problem I am facing.

The problem i'm having is that my alternator is wedged so tightly between the mounting bracket that the A/C compressor also mounts to that I cannot get the alternator to budge. I am aware that a lot of people end up removing the intake manifold and/or oil filter housing, but they do that just because their alternator gets hung up on those parts when trying to remove. In my case, the alternator has so much pressure on the bracket it mounts to, that i need to loosen up the bracket.

Per BMW's instructions on removing the alternator, they state to remove the a/c compressor mounting bolts and "set it aside" without removing any of the a/c lines. After the a/c compressor is out of the way, to loosen up the bolts that attach the mounting bracket to the car. I've removed the 3 bolts from the a/c compressor but i cannot get the a/c compressor to move enough to access the bolts holding the mounting bracket in place. Of the 3 bolts/holes holding the compressor to the bracket, the one closest to to the rear of the car, I am able to pull apart about 1/4" or slightly less. To me, it seems that the reason the compressor won't budge anymore is because of the 2 a/c lines mounted on top of the compressor.

I don't understand how in the heck you are supposed to be able to "set aside" the compressor without removing the a/c lines, let alone move enough to get a wrench in behind it to access the bracket's mounting bolts. I was out in my garage literally all night Thursday and most of the day on Friday before i gave up and told myself i'm just going to fork over the money to have a shop take care of it. But now that i've cooled off, i want to attempt it again but hoping anyone can give me some tips. I would greatly appreciate anything, and if i need to upload some photos, i can do so if it'll help to better explain anything. Thank you for reading.

Edit: I finally got access to those mounting bracket bolts and was able to loosen. One of the ac lines (high pressure I believe) was mounted/hung by a plastic loop a couple feet from the compressor. Once I unhooked the ac line from there, it gave me enough slack to manipulate the compressor enough to get an extension + swivel joint behind it and loosen the bolts, which freed the alternator from the bracket.
    Was still sort of a pain though to get the socket in that tight area.
    Last edited by RoboMan; 09-17-2018 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Solved problem / no longer need assistance.