Thread: Changed airbag wheel to mtech 1 385mm quick help has gap and no horn

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i

Changed airbag wheel to mtech 1 385mm quick help has gap and no horn

IMG_1774.jpgIMG_1772.jpgIMG_1770.jpg
    ---Pictures---
    1. Gap in question between hub and wheel
    2. Steering wheel itself in E34
    3. "Donut" thing I mention below from old wheel. (If not possible OR if a custom donut thing can be made let me know, I imagine dust seeping in to the grease splines and column levers is no good.)

Hello, I changed out my 1990 535i airbag wheel to mtech 1 385mm. The previous owner apparently has had the metal horn contact thing seemingly cut/snapped off perfectly flat against the plastic outer diameter ( no picture because wheel is on the car but anyone who’s had the steering wheel off will know what I am talking about. ) so while that piece was already cleanly cut I ended up chopping the white tab I was suppose to push in that it doesn’t “ rub “ the wheel as said in other post.

So with that said
    - I have a gap in the wheel, am I suppose to affix the “ donut “ thing from hubside of steering wheel from airbag wheel onto it? ( Will have pictures. )
    - anything to weld or attach horn use? I am not good with wiring but how would I get this horn to function either on wheel of separate button off wheel?
    - lastly what is the size of oem 4spokd airbag wheel. I thought 385 was large but it feels significantly smaller ( sharper turns with less angle.) than the oem. Also almost blocks my upper gauge readings, steering wheel feels like it sits low but this same wheel sits even lower in my E23 and blocks a huge chunk of upper half gauge when sitting normal position unless I slam the seat. Is it ok for steering wheel to feel "low seated"? It does infact feel like more control capability of the steering between 9-3 position is much better while maintaining hands as much as possible.
    - SRS light flashing; will cut a square of black electrical tape to cover it.

FAQ: Very likely the OEM spacer/collar is required to seat the wheel properly without the wobbling. I had huge shimmy/wobble without the OEM ring/collar/spacer. Shaft > Spacer > Wheel > Washer > Nut. I reused the nut and washer, I do not see no reason why not. Torque is suppose to be 56 Ft/Lb, I could be incorrect. I don't have a socket/TQ wrench in 23mm so I hand tightened as hard as I could with a 23mm tire iron while I had someone help hold/pull the wheel in. Will hopefully have a shop lock it down to correct spec for free as it only takes seconds with the right tool(s).

These following links are what I used to help me along the way, hopefully helps others too.

- https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...h-1-wheel.html

- http://bmwe32.masscom.net/billrickar...eringwheel.htm

- https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...irbag-retrofit
    Last edited by Furreals; 09-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Don't quote me on this, but I think the standard 4-spoke wheel is ~395mm

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    Yea, seems like it. When I line up both wheels the just a portion side of the 4-spoke pops out. Did not expect just 10mm would make such a difference in steering feel. (for the better)

Also pictures are now up.
    Last edited by Furreals; 09-16-2018 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    You don't need the donut.

For the horn you'll need the carbon pin, #7 http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...tion_switch_3/

The column switches will end up close to the Mtech I wheel once it slides all the way down. On my 89, I bent the levers just a bit for better clearance.

If I remember right, I used maybe a extra 1/2" spacer on mine. I can check.
    demet

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    Thanks for pointing out it's the carbon pin #7 in diagram is what I need. I may make/attach something up or stop by the few dealerships I pass by on way to and from work and check.

If I don't need the donut I'll maintain the gap; I do not mind it aesthetically just wondering if it's bad for that section to be exposed to anything possible to get in. Although I may cut out a donut ring out of black foam and slip it through.

The wheel is as far as it can go as I have the OEM spacer required to fit a non-airbag wheel. It can go closer towards the gauges without the OEM spacer but has a lot of wobble room and didn't seem safe at all (Did not test driving or bolting it on like that.) I maybe have small hands, my hands or knuckles don't brush the levers but they're a bit closer than with the OEM 4-Spoke.
    Last edited by Furreals; 09-18-2018 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Post some pics of the spacers you are using. I can look at mine and we can compare. I didn't use that donut.
    demet

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Dumb question: did both steering wheels look the same from the back? Around mid '91 they changed columns, and I thought all Mtech-1s were the earlier version, but I just saw a picture of a late-style one.

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    The back looks like this.

Good question, I would like to know more but here is

What I think I know - Coarse spline mtechnik 1 steering wheel is majority for pre-84 cars. Fine spline is around mid 85-93(??) This means I have a next generation m tech 1 version 2 385mm. Coarse/Fine spline and optional 370mm sizing is the only difference, exactly identical otherwise front/back.

the mtech1 back all usuallylook like the picture provided.

I'll look at the OEM 4-spoke tomorrow. Other than the donut not sure difference.
    Last edited by Furreals; 09-22-2018 at 11:36 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Well, crap... there's your problem...

Between '90-'91 they changed column types, and the back of the steering wheel went from looking like this:

s-l1600IE9L0CDI.jpg

...to this:

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, both pictures are Mtech-1s, and I'm 99.999999...% sure the back of your original wheel looks like the first one . That's why the "donut" looks like that, as the earlier steering wheels are deeper than the later ones.

As a side note, steering levers are also different, the later ones being more straight; if you try to install early style levers on a later style column, your hands will rub on them at every turn, ask me how I know...

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Furreals View Post
    The back looks like this.

Unfortunately that's an e23 wheel that comes without the column lock splines or the "donut" as you called it.
    demet

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    I do not mind the gap without the column lock splines "donut"

I also checked the wheel again but didn't get a picture. It is literally an E30 mtechnik 1 wheel.

It seem I do not seem to have any problems other than the horn; the carbon pin seems to have been cut/snapped straight off before I even bought the car apparently and the gap which I'll remedy with a cut hard foam.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I can't really help on the specifics because I'm fine with the standard wheel, but back in my day when I used aftermarket wheels that thing you call a "donut" is a steering boss (spacer, adapter or kit) so maybe if you google for an adapter steering boss for your application you might find something? You'll probably need a proper boss for the horn to work.
    Last edited by fo3; 09-23-2018 at 09:55 AM.

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    I'll look into them. You reminded me I have a steering boss and nrg hub from my e23 7 series before I put a mtechnik 1 coarse spline wheel on it. I doubt it'll fit but I'll dig for it and see, if not I'll have to find a possibility search.