RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2004 Bmw e53

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw

2004 Bmw e53

Okay so I have a 2004 bmw e53 4.4 lemon 110xxx miles, I bought it with 106xxx that I purchased a couple months ago and have had nothing but trouble with despite buying the $2500 warrenty... so the suv has already been diagnosed with leaky valve seals, rear main seal, alternator bracket and leaky y valley coolant line. Warrenty claims they dont cover seals or cooling system. Any ways that was all background information.

The suv has a loud rattle that is getting worse.
    https://youtu.be/9C7uKayrQAs

When the car rattles the rpms seem to dip and the suv idles poorly. The car also takes a long time to shift into reverse after you put it in gear. And doesnt shift like a smooth bmw when driving it. It lags and jolts under normal acceleration.
    Last edited by AwkwardNoob44; 09-16-2018 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Wow.

You need to sell this vehicle immediately. The repairs you're looking at far exceed the value of the car. Kelly Blue Book shows a value for this car of $1600-2600, in "fair" condition, which is a big stretch for a vehicle that needs many thousands of dollars of work.

I can't hear the rattle in the video, but I really have to advise you to ignore it, and immediately drive the car to a dealer and trade it in, or just sell it, AS IS.

I'm sorry....I'm really not being mean....I'm trying to help.

Trans: Mechatronic seal, and update software.
    Cooling system: buy the expanding pipe from AGA.
    Valve seals: AGA also.
    Rear main: you'll be removing the transmission and transfer case; a lot of labor.

Seriously, you're looking at ten thousand dollars in repairs, minimum. That's not including whatever the rattle is, by the way.

http://www.agatools.com/

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    My copy of the KBB shows a range of $3,025 - $5,468 for a 2004 X5 in fair condition. But yeah, sounds like there are some issues.

Some people drive their cars even if a oil is being burned/leaked beyond what the Service 'Advisor' likes... perhaps buy a quart of oil once a month instead of spending $5K, or whatever valve and rear main seals are going to set you back.

The same trans in my 2001 3.0 X5 didn't like to go into reverse when I first bought the car. Some research suggested that replacement of a particular solenoid would address the matter. I paid to have it done at a total cost of less than $500. Trans has been operating fine since. For how long, I don't know. Does yours have the same problem, was it diagnosed correctly, who knows.

The most costly repair source will be the BMW dealership. You will do better at a good euro shop that knows BMWs. Best of luck, maybe there is hope. LOL
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    This vehicle has a six speed ZF GA 6HP 26Z transmission.

The coolant pipe replacement at a dealer runs ~40 hours. Using the AGA item, the gasket/pipe kit is $800, plus 10 hours of labor.

AGA valve stem seal tool kit is $1000, AGA shows 22 hours of labor for this. This oil dosn't leak, it comes out the exhaust, and is unbearable.

Rear main seal is 9.3 hours.

Here's where I read $1600-2600:
    https://www.kbb.com/bmw/x5/2004/44i-...condition=fair
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 09-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    Bmwdirtracer I always greatly appreciate your advice but unfortunately I just bought this suv a few months ago from a dealership that did a very well job and hiding this issue and I financed $6500 +$2500 for the warrenty hoping for once to have a family car to rely on. And I am not in a position where i can trade it in and take on a larger car payment. So I'm going to have to do any and all repairs myself until the suv is running right again. I'm good with a wrench I just like to get help with diagnosing more complex issues that are hard to chase.

Mauim3mania, I wish I was only losing a quart a month but I'm at the point where I'm putting in a quart every 100 miles

I had already planned on a full engine pull and rebuild. But it's looking like the transmission may need it to?

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Trade in, sure. Or he could leave it in a run-down urban area and let it get burned within 24. Retail is as I mentioned in a MO zip code, average $4247.

I prefer to not paint the worst picture of everyone's dilemma.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    [QUOTE=MauiM3Mania;30106374]Trade in, sure. Or he could leave it in a run-down urban area and let it get burned within 24. Retail is as I mentioned in a MO zip code, average $4247.

I live by stl anything is possible. But my conscience makes it hard to go the insurance claim route.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, I tend to paint a bad picture of a situation like this. Sorry, it's a byproduct of fixing cars for a living. Some BMWs make me want to run away. The N62 and N63 engined vehicles are disasters. Everything that can go wrong DOES.

Certainly, the vast majority of these repair costs lies in the labor. However, I really have to say that none of these jobs is something I'd do in a driveway, or with anything less than my very complete tool set.

I know you think I'm being mean, but the picture I'm painting is the reality I deal with everyday. Cars.

If the situation is presented to the "right" BMW repair shop, they can phrase it in such a way as to require a replacement engine....which the warranty company would have to pay for.

When you're handed a lemon, try for lemonade.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Yeah, I tend to paint a bad picture of a situation like this. Sorry, it's a byproduct of fixing cars for a living. Some BMWs make me want to run away. The N62 and N63 engined vehicles are disasters. Everything that can go wrong DOES.

Certainly, the vast majority of these repair costs lies in the labor. However, I really have to say that none of these jobs is something I'd do in a driveway, or with anything less than my very complete tool set.

I know you think I'm being mean, but the picture I'm painting is the reality I deal with everyday. Cars.

If the situation is presented to the "right" BMW repair shop, they can phrase it in such a way as to require a replacement engine....which the warranty company would have to pay for.

When you're handed a lemon, try for lemonade.
    I dont think you're being mean at all. You are being realistic. And any and all work I dont is in a driveway unfortunately I have to work with what I got. I'm not sure if I have a shop down here that would be willing to help me out like that. But I can ask around.

Do you have more information on the mechatronic seal? Is that my shift issue to your beleif?

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardNoob44 View Post
    I live by stl anything is possible. But my conscience makes it hard to go the insurance claim route.
    I wouldn't suggest that you burn and claim.... certainly not publicly! Parking it overnight down on Grand and MLK Dr would reap you even less than at trade in, that was my point.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    And....I'm not suggesting that you're looking for a crooked shop, either. I'm suggesting that the cheapest answer for your issues is to pull the engine, and install a replacement. Especially if the expensive warranty you bought would pay for that, when they won't pay for the gaskets and seals.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    And....I'm not suggesting that you're looking for a crooked shop, either. I'm suggesting that the cheapest answer for your issues is to pull the engine, and install a replacement. Especially if the expensive warranty you bought would pay for that, when they won't pay for the gaskets and seals.
    Yeah I dont want a crooked shop just one willing to help me out. I understand what you mean. I crooked shop could leave me worse off then I already was. I have a couple European car mechanics that live down this way I can see if anyone will help me given the situation.

My Cars
    You didn't buy a lemon, you bought a typical N62 equipped vehicle that has been neglected. Sorry, but sounds like you bought a car without doing any research on reliability or maintenance costs. I hope things work out well. Good luck.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    I did quite a bit of research before buying. And anything with more in repair estimates than the value of the car within the first few months is a lemon. This isn't my first bmw I know maintenance is expensive but valve seals an in properly shifting transmission and a loud rattle isn't normal maintenance for a 110xxx mile a car that's been abused by the previous owner. As far as reliability that why I went with the 2004 updated n63 instead of the previous year n62 due to research and review. But I didn't come here looking to argue with people I came here to discuss what all I need to do to fix my vehicle and get it road ready again.

Does anyone have a good link for an engine rebuild kit for the 4.4, and the mechatronic seal. Maybe the transmission solenoid mauim3mania mentioned and any transmission seals in between I will need? Maybe if their is a full transmission rebuild kit instead? Thank you.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Lemon - in terms of a vehicle has a much different definition.
    At any rate - I’m rather stunned anyplace would sell a warranty on a 10 year old bmw. Wow.

I agree it’d be more efficient to swap in an engine and such.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    This is NOT an N63....it's an N62...and you should likely be thankful. Personally, I'd have an M62 any day over either of the N motors. At least all you need are timing rails. (If it were an N63, you'd need timing chain, rails, injectors, MAFs, .....and a battery every other oil change. At least BMW had the "Customer Care Package" on the N63, and they now sell replacement engines for $3k. Not true for the N62.

Yes, a valve stem seal job, the coolant pipe, alternator mounting and a poorly shifting 6 speed are all VERY typical failure items by 100,000 miles on this car. (Let's remember that AGA has special tool and parts kits for the valve seals and the coolant pipe....that's how common these failures are!)

I think you know that I'm on your side....but I'm sorry - White94Rx is absolutely correct. He's fixed more of these than I have. This is a terribly trouble-prone drivetrain.

You need to find a shop that will put in a warranty claim for a replacement engine. I can't hear the rattle, but if they diagnose a "death rattle" from bad crankshaft / big end bearings, then the warranty company should pay for your motor.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 09-17-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    I apologize white94rx I had just got off of work and was in a bitter mood and thought you where just trying to be a dick. I did research around the best that I could I guess i just looked in all the wrong places.
    And thank you for the correction bmwdirtracer, on the engine the link you shared for the aga page took me to n63 tools so I just assumed that was the engine I had. Probably just a fluke on the net work.
    I've called around to a few shops so far and haven't found one that will write it up as a bad engine yet but I am trying.

I'm not sure why you can't hear the rattle it's fairly loud i will make sure my settings for the video aren't set to mute or something silly.

My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    The sound I hear sounds like a lose exhaust shield. Is that the noise?

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    The sound I hear sounds like a lose exhaust shield. Is that the noise?
    That is the sound I'm referring too, and that's what I thought it was as well but I got under the car and all heat / exhaust shields where tight.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Too many years racing cars made my hearing go away.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i, 2004 bmw
    Too many years racing cars made my hearing go away.
    Sounds like a fair trade! I wish I had the money to build a race car. I'm just losing my hearing to construction.