RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Got into a crash and need some advice on repairs...

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is

Got into a crash and need some advice on repairs...

Like the title says, I was out for a spirited morning drive, pressed the brakes a little too hard, slid out on the wet road and went into a ditch. Car slid down about 5 meters into a ditch, bumping into a tree with the nose along the way. The car landed sideways, causing the weight of the engine to rip it out of its engine mounts and slide to the lower front side of the engine bay. My current issue lies on repairing the drive train. The transmission (manual), being connected to the engine, got ripped off its mounts as well, pulling it forward and onto the side about 3-4 inches out of place. I am trying to compile a list of part I may have to change, especially on the driveshaft, as I fear that something has most likely been damaged, bent, or broken, between the transmission and the diff in the back. Could someone with some more tech experience than I have suggest some of the parts which would have been most prone to damage in this kind of situation? Once I get a rough idea I can start disassembly and repair.
    The car is a 1999 E36 328is.
    Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the car is totaled. There appears to be structural chassis damage as well as likely driveline component damage.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Braked hard mid corner, eh?
    If the motor and trans were torn from the mounts the shifter linkage is almost certainly broken, perhaps the gearbox case where the shift carrier attaches. Likewise, the engine has probably had some accessories bumped hard, sometimes that'll break the timing cover or snap off a bolt boss.
    Sounds like you did a comprehensive job of it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    Beyond repair? Can't I just replace the driveshaft and connectors and so on? Engine still runs fine so not too worried about that.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Based on your description, it is highly unlikely that you got away without significant damage to the unibody. You may not be able to simply replace the mounts, as the mounts will no longer line up with the components they are supposed to support. The first thing you need to do is check to see if the body is straight. I'm not sure where you would find the correct specs to do cross measurements on that chassis, but that's what you need to do before going any further.

I'm betting it's well and truly bent. Drivetrains don't just fall out without a reason.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    Thanks for the rundown! The engine still runs fine so not too worried about that, probably going to end up dropping out the driveshaft and replacing all the broken parts.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Let's see some pictures of the car. Since you're new here, you'll have to post them to a hosting site, and give us a link.

Truly, I tend to agree with the comments above.....but I've seen cars survive things that should have killed them.

Your description certainly indicates a totaled car. A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you MY email address, and you can send me the photos, and I'll post them here for you. OR, post them to a host site, and give us a link.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    The frontal impact wasn't that significant, and only the round part of the front rail was bent inwards a bit. Hoping to take it to a body shop so they can do an ultrasound scan to test the geometry of the body.