Thread: Coolant leak after full cooling system replaced

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi

Coolant leak after full cooling system replaced

I just bought a 2004 325xi, and immediately it started leaking coolant. I got all of the parts replaced throughout the system. I drove it home and the next day the coolant light came on. it needed about 1/4 gallon of water/coolant to top it off. Drove it back to the shop, and then couldn't find a leak. They put it on the lift, took off the belly pan, and ran the car for an hour. There was a lot of oil leaking (there is a small crack in the oil pan - need to fix that too). But no coolant leaking. They looked everything over and no signs of leaks. I drove it home, getting the coolant light again almost immediately. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked the puddle under the car, and there is definitely the greenish coolant mixed into the puddle where the oil is also leaking.

Any idea what could have this car leaking except when it is on the lift in the shop? They replaced every hose, reservoir, and other plastic pieces when they did the fix originally. I am lost on what to do with this thing. I wanted a daily driver for work and now I am dealing with a bunch of annoying headaches on this car and have yet to be able to commute in it yet.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    Get a coolant leak detector tester.
    _________

1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!
    2000 M5 - 2000-02 Titanium Silver - Currently own!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What brands of parts did they install? The coolant system is the E46s Achilles heel. Never install aftermarket cooling system parts.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Certainly the plastic coolant pipes in the drivers side of the block can be a problem and the plastic expansion tank mounting plate with all its bits and pieces.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325ci
    Since you noticed a green coolant..that means they did not use the BMW blue coolant. This probably also means they did not use genuine BMW parts or quality OEM versions. If it is within your capability remove the splash guard on the front of the car and place a towel underneath in the evening. In the morning where the fluid collects should indicate where the leak is coming from. And by all means if/when you find where the leak is coming from take it back to the shop until the issue is fixed. Also verify that the shop is using BMW/OEM parts.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Suggest pressurize the system...idling on lift may not be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrine View Post
    I just bought a 2004 325xi, and immediately it started leaking coolant. I got all of the parts replaced throughout the system. I drove it home and the next day the coolant light came on. it needed about 1/4 gallon of water/coolant to top it off. Drove it back to the shop, and then couldn't find a leak. They put it on the lift, took off the belly pan, and ran the car for an hour. There was a lot of oil leaking (there is a small crack in the oil pan - need to fix that too). But no coolant leaking. They looked everything over and no signs of leaks. I drove it home, getting the coolant light again almost immediately. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked the puddle under the car, and there is definitely the greenish coolant mixed into the puddle where the oil is also leaking.

Any idea what could have this car leaking except when it is on the lift in the shop? They replaced every hose, reservoir, and other plastic pieces when they did the fix originally. I am lost on what to do with this thing. I wanted a daily driver for work and now I am dealing with a bunch of annoying headaches on this car and have yet to be able to commute in it yet.
    I once had a pinhole leak that only showed up under load...squirted a fine stream at the exhaust manifold...showed up at 20psi using a STANT radiator/cooling system pressure tester...had to buy a metric/euro adaptor for coolant cap because it's an old US bayonet-type cap tester. The pinhole was invisible.

Chances are you can repair the oil pan leak with JB Weld epoxy...drain the oil pan below the leak or completely, sand the area around the leak and degrease it with trichloroethylene or brake cleaner and 90% isopropyl alcohol, slather øn the JB Weld. Use a hair dryer to set the epoxy.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Did they replace the coolant reservoir cap?

Quote Originally Posted by jamrine View Post

Again, it may release pressure too soon too low under load.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWguy711 View Post
    Since you noticed a green coolant..that means they did not use the BMW blue coolant. This probably also means they did not use genuine BMW parts or quality OEM versions. If it is within your capability remove the splash guard on the front of the car and place a towel underneath in the evening. In the morning where the fluid collects should indicate where the leak is coming from. And by all means if/when you find where the leak is coming from take it back to the shop until the issue is fixed. Also verify that the shop is using BMW/OEM parts.
    You should use Zerex G-48 coolant. As for the leak, most likely the cap especially if it isn't OEM. I would replace the whole cooling system again but with OEM parts.