Thread: Removing coolant/antifreeze stains from carpet?

My Cars
    84 318i

Removing coolant/antifreeze stains from carpet?

Is there any tricks to removing coolant stains from the carpet? I picked one up at the junkyard and the stains have been there for at least a few weeks. I tried automotive carpet cleaner and it is not getting it out! Any feedback or ideas?

My Cars
    e30 e46
    I always start with hot water and a strong shop vac. Try to suck as much of it out as possible.

Try any cleaner you can think of and see how that turns out. If you're still not happy, you can always dye it.

Good luck.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinewhite318i View Post
    Is there any tricks to removing coolant stains from the carpet? I picked one up at the junkyard and the stains have been there for at least a few weeks. I tried automotive carpet cleaner and it is not getting it out! Any feedback or ideas?
    Steam could be helpful. You could try to rent one of those steam cleaner vacuums from a local hardware store, my grocery store also rents them out.

My Cars
    84 318i
    Ok thanks for the info!

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I used to detail cars for a crappy car lot when I was a kid. When I got the job I knew little about detailing, and these cars were worse that what you could find in a junkyard. I took some of that creamy white hand cleaner (Goop, etc.) and mixed it with laundry detergent and piping hot water, and that worked exceptionally well cleaning the nasty carpets out. The challenge is always rinsing an automotive carpet, but since yours is out of the car, or should be anyway, it would be wise to rig up a close line or chain to hang it upright. Otherwise the soap will just travel from one area to another and never rinse completely. And yes, at that point, let it dry completely, and get some elastomeric coating (made for trim and fabric) from an auto body supplier and have then show you how to use it. I did this with my charcoal carpet and made it black, but I bought a quart can and used my spray gun. Spray cans only work for smaller pieces, like trim panels, etc. it’s also the same paint I used to refinish my bumper trim/moldings and seat fabric.
    Last edited by msservices; 10-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.