Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 99AW E36 M3 Turbo build

My Cars
    UFO
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMePuff View Post
    How are you going to drain to the timing cover while keeping A/C? I ran into problems trying to find a location for it while also retaining the A/C bracket/compressor, but I also didn't look very hard.

If you run into problems, top mount oil pan drain has given me 0 issues thus far.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    There's about 3" of open space on the timing cover from what I can tell. May be a pain to access with the car put together. I'll have to rethink that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Those bolts will be fine but be careful not to flip the engine stand over in the process. How are you going to secure the crankshaft without the flywheel? I removed the jesus bolt after I had the head removed by placing a small block of wood in cylinder #1 and then placing a piece of hardwood across the top of the block, secured with the used head bolts. This prevented the crankshaft from rotating while I used a piece of pipe (cheater bar) to increase leverage and control on my 22mm socket & pull handle on the jesus bolt. It came right out easily.
    I'm going to pray that my snap-on impact is good enough..
    CURRENT: LimeRockParkEdition E92 M3 - BSM/Silverstone E70 X5M - AW/Dove E36 M3
    PAST: Techno/Dove E36 M3 - Techno/Dove E36 M3 - LSB/Black E46 M3

My Cars
    UFO
    Snap-on impact couldn't get the jesus bolt off. Heated with a torch and tried again to no avail... I'm just going to worry about it later. Maybe make a tool i can mount on to the rear of the crank with the old flywheel bolts. Mainly cleaned up the garage mess from pulling the engine Saturday and got accesories/valve cover off the engine. Tomorrow I'll tackle the vanos and remove the head.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Jump on a breaker bar. Then gun it off. If you need to wedge a tool from the teeth of the crank gear to the AC bracket, wedge it tight. I broke a piece off the bracket.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    impact gun is not going to work...leverage is your friend. Ive removed dozens of these.

Take the oil pan off and wedge a short piece of 2x4 between the block and the crank weight.
    Last edited by NY98M3; 11-06-2018 at 08:17 AM.

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    UFO
    Thanks for all the methods on removing the Jesus bolt. It's out! Head is off the car. Next I'll get the cams/lifter trays off to send it to the machine shop along with the oil pan and timing cover to get hot tanked. Back to my original plan of draining to oil pan.

How do these cylinder walls look?

Last edited by VLT; 11-07-2018 at 02:40 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Im no expert but they look discolored. The crosshatching looks fairly normal to me, but yours have some kind of a sheen or film on them that doesn't look normal.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    UFO
    Head is ready to send to the machine shop. The most stressful part so far has been removing the cams. Didn't want to break those bad boys.

I really hope someone can give me some input on the condition of the cylinder walls. I didn't do a compression test before pulling it apart (you can burn me for this.) I picked up the car with a stack of maintenance records dating way back and it has to be the hardest pulling S52 I've driven. From what Butters was saying in another thread, I think 500rwhp would be the ideal HP for the e36 on the street. I don't really ever plan on exceeding this. But the block having 150k on it and introducing it to boost concerns me for longevity. I would like not having to build the block for something I can achieve with stock internals, but I also want the car to last. What is everyone's opinion on this?

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    How was your oil consumption? I wouldn't be too concerned with the rings/walls if your consumption wasn't crazy high.

My Cars
    UFO
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    How was your oil consumption? I wouldn't be too concerned with the rings/walls if your consumption wasn't crazy high.
    Oil consumption was the least comparing to my previous S52 engines with 114k and 200k, no smoke and really clean plugs. The head was way cleaner than my expectations. Not a hint of sludge or even bronzing on any part, it honestly looks too good for 150k. Please set me straight on this if a well maintained engine can do this. It makes me suspect to a possible head gasket replacement with resurface/hot tank I do not have records for. The bronzing on the cylinder walls is whats getting me. I'm at least happy the crosshatch on the walls are visible. All cylinder walls look the same that is why I didnt upload a photo of all. I appreciate the help.

One note on the side: Some of the middle journals on both cams (and caps) have some deep scoring. I believe I saw another post with someone asking if this was okay to run. The response was yes. I'll try to upload some pictures on this soon. You can feel it with your fingernail.
    Last edited by VLT; 11-08-2018 at 03:12 AM.

My Cars
    UFO
    Head, timing cover, and oil pan are at the machine shop. Should be back by Thursday. I picked up some Roloc bristle discs to clean the block/pistons. Also trying to decide what EBC to get. Eboost2, Greddy profec, and that new HKS is what I'm looking at. If anyone has any input on these, I'd love to hear it.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by VLT View Post
    Head, timing cover, and oil pan are at the machine shop. Should be back by Thursday. I picked up some Roloc bristle discs to clean the block/pistons. Also trying to decide what EBC to get. Eboost2, Greddy profec, and that new HKS is what I'm looking at. If anyone has any input on these, I'd love to hear it.
    Also interested in recommendations for EBC. Still have never purchased one but research points to the eboost2 being the most popular.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I had the Greddy Profec Spec B and while intuitive, it felt more like a manual boost controller with an electronic cover....

Eboost2 eliminates the boost gauge AND is a lot more user friendly for hitting desired boost targets, boost by gear, etc.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    328is GT35R
    Yea everyone seems to like the eboost2. I of course bought a Greddy profec B spec 2 because i thought it looked cool. I cant comment on how it works though not hooked up yet. I wanted to say i regret not getting an innovate afr gauge instead of the aem uego. It worries me that when i eventually get my tune revised (remote tune) i wont be able to log AFR. Something to consider.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by daze450 View Post
    Yea everyone seems to like the eboost2. I of course bought a Greddy profec B spec 2 because i thought it looked cool. I cant comment on how it works though not hooked up yet. I wanted to say i regret not getting an innovate afr gauge instead of the aem uego. It worries me that when i eventually get my tune revised (remote tune) i wont be able to log AFR. Something to consider.
    I could never log with innovate afr gauge. The software didn't seem compatible with anything after XP.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My Cars
    UFO
    I ended up going with the AEM truboost. I've heard mixed things, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I liked how I can mount it in the Rally Road gauge pod. Just finished wiring up the three gauges. I used the switched power off of the telephone connector in the center console. Each gauge has a max amp draw of 1.5 amps. I should be okay on that wire.

Going to spend this Thanksgiving weekend getting the engine back together.

Did this with a VEI D1 gauge. Hopefully the cluster still works...

Last edited by VLT; 11-20-2018 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    UFO
    So I just checked in an incognito tab and noticed half of the photos don't show up. Have them hidden on imgur. Here's some to catch up where I'm at now.

Oof. If you can't see them let me know. It should be public now.

Last edited by VLT; 11-21-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12