Thread: The good, the bad, the ugly . . .

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi

The good, the bad, the ugly . . .

I can't help myself, I love to tweak my cars, although I always want to keep them either easily reversible (like different wheels), or use OE BMW parts (like euro mirrors or steering wheel), or undetectable, like GregK sway bars that I have on my 850Ci.

Here's what I did most recently:

new interior3.jpg

New shift boot and emergency brake boot, to match the stitching on the steering wheel. But since I couldn't get a one-piece shift boot like the original, I had to get a new shift knob as well. This one's from a 3er ZHP, and its illuminated as well as being both shorter and weighted. I really love the feel -- between it and the short shift kit, it provides a great feel ("snick, snick") moving from gear to gear. And I'm enjoying the new steering wheel so much that I got another one (but without the "//M" logo) for my 850Ci. On that car, installation was truly plug and play. That's the good.

The bad? Clutch is slipping. A lot. Time for a new clutch, and it seems the consensus is that the UUC kit is the best. But which one? They have a Performance Organic, a CeraMetallic, a Segmented Kevlar Organic, and a Multi-Puck Ceramic. From what I've read, I don't think I want either the Ceramic or CeraMetalic, but I'd think the Kevlar Organic would be a good choice. I'd also expect it to be more expensive than the Performance Organic, but its not. I'll be talking to the folks at UUC tomorrow, but does anyone have any real world experience, and/or any insight?

The ugly? Someone backed into me in a parking lot and tapped me with a trailer hitch. While the damage is extremely minor, it's just enough to be an annoyance, particularly to someone (like me) who wants everything to be perfect. I'll see what I can do with touch up paint, but if I don't like the outcome, I guess I'll have the body shop paint the nose when I have them paint and install the euro mirrors I just bought. There is also a spot on the rear wheel that's bugging me -- it's not curb rash, it's just that a quarter size chunk of paint has flaked off. However, I have two sets of T-stars, so I'll just swap tires/wheels on one and be done with it.

Oh, while we're on the subject of mods, and upgrades, and whatnot -- I bought a set of BMW 4-pot Brembos to put on the CSi, but now I'm not so sure I want to put them on. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 09-15-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Love threads like that.
    I am running a e39 m5 clutch on mine.
    Do you have a Uuc short shifter in yours?
    I am considering it and a dssr and the weighted knob. What do you think?
    I did not like the feel of my brembos. Running stock now and just bought 345 mm csi discs that I will be putting with my csi huge calipers

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    Love threads like that.
    I am running a e39 m5 clutch on mine.
    Do you have a Uuc short shifter in yours?
    I am considering it and a dssr and the weighted knob. What do you think?
    I did not like the feel of my brembos. Running stock now and just bought 345 mm csi discs that I will be putting with my csi huge calipers
    Ah, but you have those wonderful euro csi calipers, and the floating discs, correct? I'd love to have those, but the US CSi's came with the same stock front calipers as the 850i. Later US 850Ci's came with the Brembos.

And, yes, I have the UUC short shift kit with the DSSR. Very solid feel.
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 09-14-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Looking good Mike. Don't be afraid to enjoy your cars by making them your own. I have too, otherwise I get bored with them, and next thing you know, the for sale sign is out.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred