Thread: PBM Handbrake Line kit ?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

PBM Handbrake Line kit ?

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...e/E36HBLF.html

The car I am working on has a build date of 05/92.

The PBM Kit Consists of:

2 42" -3an hose
    2 Inverted flate Tees
    2 M12 to M10 inverted flare adapters
    1 M12 to -3an adapter
    1 M10 to - 3an adapter
    2 90* -3an adapters
    2 -3an Wilwood Master Cylinder fittings

Here is a copy of the instructions provided with the kit.
    pbm instructions.PNG

Now, here is a list of the issues I am having.
    1. No fitting at this ABS pump is M12, it is all M10. This means that 3 of the 4 provided fittings are the incorrect size.

2. They instruct you to cut the bubble flares off the factory hard lines for both front calipers, and the front brake channel of the master cylinder line, than reflare them to inverted and tee the 3 of them together using the provided tee. Why? Bubble flare tee's are easily sourced online and flaring lines in the area of the ABS pump is a huge PITA.

3. The car I am working one only has one rear line at the ABS pump that splits to two at the fuel tank. It is an M10 fitting at the ABS pump. From prior installs I know I need to end up with a line going from the rear channel of the master, to the handbrake, out of the handbrake to the rear line. The instructions seem to want you to cut the bubble flares off the end of these 2 lines at the pump, then re-flare to inverted, and use the supplied M10x-3an and M12x-3an adapters. Once again, both of these nuts are M10 so I am an M10 adapter short from being able to finish.

I feel like I must be missing something because I am having a hard time believing the product can be this bad. This is how the front channel ended up:
    Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

Not the worst, but again would have saved hours of work just by providing a bubble flare tee. The rear is still unfinished due to the missing / incorrect adapter.

Does anyone out there make a better off the shelf option to sell my customers? I have tried the ChaseBays products as well but after several customers did not receive their orders (myself included) I had to stop recommending them. I was stoked PBM released an option but this doesn't seem much better.

My Cars
    LS E46
    There are changes over the course of both the E36 and E46, if anyone expects something like this to be a complete bolt-on affair, they picked the wrong hobby. In-line kits are stupid anyways. If you hit your brakes with the hydro pulled, it pushes against the hydro.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Eh. I’ve been driving with both my cars inline for like 4 years, there’s been like one time I wished I had duals. Sure duals are “better” but not sure they’re worth the added cost, added labor and losing the parking brake.

As far as the kit goes, seems like something easily solved by a few drop down menu options when ordering. There’s also never been a change from bubble flares, so there’s no reason to provide an inverted flare tee. Surprised someone like Nerp or Condor hasn’t jumped on it yet.
    Last edited by Novablue454; 09-13-2018 at 12:32 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    This seems like something they would do, assume that all E36's have the same brake system layout as whatever they had for their test car.

I did an inline PBM handbrake back in I think 2009 when the only line kit they offered was for S-Chassis. I remember having to figure all of it out myself but I can't really recall specifics and well it was a 98 so 4 channel abs. I think this kit you have would have worked in that car but doesn't look like it fits an older 3 channel car.

I think I just took the hardline from the master to the ABS pump to autozone and found two lines that had the BMW side on one end and 10mm on the other and used 10mm braided hose with the included adapter to the master and then back out to the second hard line I bought. This might not really help but thats the best of my recollection from almost 10 years ago. I've since moved to dual caliper based on my experience with that inline making my foot brake do weird stuff if I used them together.
    Last edited by Piner; 09-13-2018 at 02:48 AM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yeah, I am assuming this kit would fit (albeit, poorly) on a later OBD2 car with the 4 channel setup, but there is no mention of it on their page.

I just sat down on summit this morning and designed a kit for this style of ABS pump, so if anyone needs one that will actually fit, holler.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    I know it's a little too late, but Detroit Drifting company makes a really slick bolt on kit for an inline hydro on an e46... My friend bought it and it took him all of 2-3 hours to install. No flaring, no bullshit.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Anybody have experience with the chasebays line kit or handbrake?

Handbrake seems neat, comes with a backing plate & would fit in the factory handbrake location.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Chasebays is garbage and I'd avoid them like the plague, but that's just my opinion.

Also, I got an email back from PBM, they said they make you re-flare the lines because they already stocked the inverted flare tees for Japanese cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    I know it's a little too late, but Detroit Drifting company makes a really slick bolt on kit for an inline hydro on an e46... My friend bought it and it took him all of 2-3 hours to install. No flaring, no bullshit.
    Do they have a website? Google only turns up their facebook
    Last edited by Novablue454; 09-20-2018 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    LS E46
    The Detroit Drifting kit is like 20ft of braided line. If you really want that in your braking system - may god have mercy on your soul.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Chasebays is garbage and I'd avoid them like the plague, but that's just my opinion.

Also, I got an email back from PBM, they said they make you re-flare the lines because they already stocked the inverted flare tees for Japanese cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Do they have a website? Google only turns up their facebook
    http://www.detroitdriftingco.com/bmw...s-through.html

its only e46 specific, but im not sure how different the e36 is

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    nothing wrong with braided line, that's what every line kit on the market is, hell the chasebays kit looks like it uses way longer stainless lines than the DDC one does.

For me its a matter of the kit coming with the correct parts, long enough lines, and not making you do dumb shit like re-flare lines, which so far I am 0/2 on avaliable kits.

My Cars
    LS E46
    There most certainly is something wrong with braided line when you're using it excessively. It expands under pressure which softens your pedal - this is why you're only supposed to use it where it's absolutely impossible to use a hard line - only a fool thinks otherwise. This isn't a fork truck, it's a braking system, the fluid is static and requires the lines to be as resistant to expansion as possible.