Thread: Heavy vibration upon hill climbs..GM 5L40E automatic, 135k odometer.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Heavy vibration upon hill climbs..GM 5L40E automatic, 135k odometer.

After 20 minutes of driving..a fully warmed E46-Wagon w/ M54 coupled with automatic GM 5L40E transmission upon driving the interstate (95) at 65 mph, an escalating rumble and even banging occurs upon hill climbs....but after cresting the hills and going down-hill the rumble and banging stop..until the next hill climb. This scenario has been present within the past 500 miles. I can only drive 15 miles before the above begins...in short, i have a 30 mile window.

My local reputable BMW indy finds no codes.

I replaced all spark plugs..with NGK BKR6EQUP..Also all 6 ignition coils (Echlin-NAPA) ..also primary fuel pump (VDO) and fuel regulator-filter..right and left motor mounts, four Uniroyal Tiger Paw touring tires....

To me, I believe this is somehow heat related. Upon first start in the morning, all is well...a smooth engine, transmission shifts seem normal and unchanged from the past 20k of driving. The temp gauge is in center position...all is normal until your drive beyond 12 to 15 miles. After climbing onto the interstate for 65 mph, upon the first big hill climb, a vibration begins to occur and increase more violently upon cresting the hill......Once over the hill, and letting up on the accelerator does the vibration settle. On another occasion recently, the vibration turned into BANGING really badly...I did not think I could drive it the rest of the way home...a week and a half ago...yet the next morning, a cold engine and transmission, it performed as normal......but only until it was again fully warmed, 12 miles outside of town.

QUESTIONS: NO CODES! My Indie cant pinpoint...although he is not a BMW specific, he does do Rover, Roll Royce, among many more Euros.

VANOS, Fuel injectors...I have yet to replace....yet I have doubt they play a part here. The French-GM 5L40E, a 5 speed automatic, is said to have issues regarding internal seals that have been known to fail involving the torque converter.

Has anyone here had or know about a similar occurrence? PLEASE, I am out of more money to spend any more on this very nice E46...Anyone?
    NGK BKR6EQUP

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Have the transmission mounts been replaced? Did the tech scan the transmission computer (EGS)? What’s the condition of the guibo? Have the transmission fluid and filter been changed? Has the transmission fluid level been checked? Where is the noise coming from? What does it sound like? You can record a video to capture the sound and post it to YouTube. Then post the link.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Sounds drive train related, like a driveshaft or mounts

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Have the transmission mounts been replaced? Did the tech scan the transmission computer (EGS)? What’s the condition of the guibo? Have the transmission fluid and filter been changed? Has the transmission fluid level been checked? Where is the noise coming from? What does it sound like? You can record a video to capture the sound and post it to YouTube. Then post the link.
    I have only replace engine mounts, not transmission mounts and I'm quite sure the transmission mounts are bad. I drove again today a 24 mile round test drive. Towards the end of my test drive...and coasted in neutral up to a stop light, at the green light I put it in drive...hesitation then a grinding bump before engagement...(this has never happened before) and performed normally for the next 3 mile trec back to my driveway. In spite all, questioning everything else, to me, this was a confirmation for the transmission being the issue. I now am reasonably sure this is all a transmission issue. My next plan is to check the atf level. The GM-French 5L40E transmission (wagons) are known to suffer issues unlike their counterpart sedan e46 with ZF transmissions. Seals inside the GM, unlike the ZF transmissions when compromised lead to 'internal' atf leakage rendering the torque converter unstable, and out of balance.
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 09-13-2018 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    nil
    I'm with the others, replace trans mounts. If you have not checked the driveshaft (IE joints, guibo/flex disc, center support bearing), you might consider doing so. This, is probably the bumping and grinding your experiencing(IE drive shaft in need of a rebuild). Hope you solve it.
    Regards

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by por911 View Post
    I'm with the others, replace trans mounts. If you have not checked the driveshaft (IE joints, guibo/flex disc, center support bearing), you might consider doing so. This, is probably the bumping and grinding your experiencing(IE drive shaft in need of a rebuild). Hope you solve it.
    Regards
    Thank you for the support for the guibo....I do hope this is my issue! I'll have the car on the lift tomorrow....I don't think a code will fire for drive shaft issues? I thought this a possibility today too!

My Cars
    nil
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Thank you for the support for the guibo....I do hope this is my issue! I'll have the car on the lift tomorrow....I don't think a code will fire for drive shaft issues? I thought this a possibility today too!
    If the drive shaft has not been touched in 135k, I'm sure it's toast. Our 330xi has less then half the miles of your car and it needs a new guibo and center support bearing done(on my weekend to-do list, parts on shelf). Could the trans need a good service, I'm sure it could(as could be said for most out there). If you want to smooth things out and extend it's life a bit, not a bad idea. The drive shaft won't throw codes, but the trans will.
    Regards

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by por911 View Post
    If the drive shaft has not been touched in 135k, I'm sure it's toast. Our 330xi has less then half the miles of your car and it needs a new guibo and center support bearing done(on my weekend to-do list, parts on shelf). Could the trans need a good service, I'm sure it could(as could be said for most out there). If you want to smooth things out and extend it's life a bit, not a bad idea. The drive shaft won't throw codes, but the trans will.
    Regards
    This would be the 4000th time he has received that advice on the transmission. Its a sore subject.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Ok but these symptoms only just started a few weeks ago and yes, it is a sore subject until enough inquiries are made to find the information needed to fix the issue.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Typically, E46 driveshafts (not the AWD half shafts) are good for 200k miles unless the owner likes to drag race. Do the easy stuff first: check the transmission fluid level. Also, the transmission computer (EGS) needs to be scanned for codes.