Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window lockout function for front passenger also?

My Cars
    E39 535i
    I'd probably fabricate myself a dog switch that would isolate the power from the passenger window switch and stick it in a discrete location.
    That way whenever the dog is in the car I could simply isolate that switch and still operate the window with the drivers door switches.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    To close out this thread with a solution, the late model e46 window switch actually works with some minor mods.

I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the e46 window switch so I took both the e39 switch and the e46 switch apart and mapped the pin numbers with the push buttons.

The mod is to swap pin 4 with pin 2 on the e39 widow switch connector. All functions work including auto up and auto down. There isn't a separate contact or wire for the auto functions. The control module simply reads the double click on the switch as you bottom out the switch and reacts accordingly. Pretty nifty.

Some trimming of the opening is necessary since the e46 switch is slightly larger. I'm going to acquire another two switches for the rear windows.

Note the e46 switch has to have 4 pins in order to work. The earlier 3 pin switches don't work. The 3 pin switch looks identical to the 4 pin switch except for the missing pin.

cheers.
    demet

My Cars
    z3
    That's really neat lol. Nice work

Thought that was such a cool project I had to hunt a little bit for something that may work on the driver's side...

May be a bit of a stretch but you can buy at least the X3 driver's side window switch without the outer "shell" - wonder how hard it'd be to fit into an E39 window switch.

The one pictured I think has the wrong options but a few to choose from in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PA92-EUR-03_2003_E83_BMW_X3_30i&diagId=61_5115#61313414354
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 09-22-2018 at 12:04 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    To close out this thread with a solution, the late model e46 window switch actually works with some minor mods.

The mod is to swap pin 4 with pin 2 on the e39 widow switch connector. All functions work including auto up and auto down. There isn't a separate contact or wire for the auto functions. The control module simply reads the double click on the switch as you bottom out the switch and reacts accordingly. Pretty nifty.

Some trimming of the opening is necessary since the e46 switch is slightly larger. I'm going to acquire another two switches for the rear windows.

Note the e46 switch has to have 4 pins in order to work. The earlier 3 pin switches don't work. The 3 pin switch looks identical to the 4 pin switch except for the missing pin.

cheers.
    NICE! This is a win. If I ever have reason to need to change my switches I'll probably do these. Well done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    May be a bit of a stretch but you can buy at least the X3 driver's side window switch without the outer "shell" - wonder how hard it'd be to fit into an E39 window switch.
    Good suggestion G - I paged through loads of various BMW switches but not sure I came across that one which sure looks real close to the shape for E39. You need the shell from the other car too though, otherwise I think the switches won't have the 'finger pockets' to get under them and pull them up...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    That's really neat lol. Nice work

Thought that was such a cool project I had to hunt a little bit for something that may work on the driver's side...

The one pictured I think has the wrong options but a few to choose from in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...15#61313414354
    Thanks for checking. When I have some more free time I'll check into a driver's side switch option.
    demet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12