Thread: PCV Heater Recall and CCV related issues???

My Cars
    2007 328I Sedan

PCV Heater Recall and CCV related issues???

Hey all, sorry for the long winded first post. Lots of great info and knowlege here, hope someone smarter than myself can help out!

My 07 328i with 120k just started acting up. Rough idle, handful of codes. Started with P0174 (no P0171 with it). Eventually threw P140A and P0306. At one point it started whistling very loudly and would stumble on acceleration. I thought "Great, now I can pinpoint the issue", so I parked it and that evening the whistling was gone and I can't get it to do it again. Drives fine other than the idle and SES light. Thinking it might be the CCV, I tried opening the oil fill - slight suction, but not difficult to open and doesnt seem like a ton of suction. Does that mean its not the CCV?

I feel like a smoke test is in order. I hate to start replacing expensive parts until I have a better idea what is wrong.

My big question is, could the PCV Valve Heater Recall (17V-683) be related in the slightest? I have not had it done yet. Is there any chance that could be related to my issue, and would I have a leg to stand on if I try to get a dealer to say - replace my CCV and valvecover when they are doing the recall work? Any other troubleshooting/advice is welcome too.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2011 328i
    That is most likely the integrated PCV valve on the rear passenger side of valve cover... since its integral, the entire valve cover has to be replaced. My 2011 328i started doing exactly what you are describing and oddly enough around the same mileage 128k-ish, rough idle, extremely loud whistling, and minor suction on the oil filler cap. The whistling is from the diaphragm being torn inside of the PCV valve. I just had my valve cover (its plastic on the '11, but it might be aluminum/magnesium on an '08?) replaced, $900 including parts labor and 9% tax by an indy BMW shop and the all the issues you are describing were resolved....but my car never threw codes...until one morning I went to go to work and no start...threw codes related to the VVT system and specifically to the Eccentric Shaft Sensor, which the mechanic just had easy access to....and I considered having him replace it while he did the valve cover since I've read it can go bad, but didn't.

Tack on another $890 and back on the road again...hopefully this time for another 128k but we all know how that goes. Could've done the work myself but finding time to carve out 6ish hours of work (assuming everything goes well) is tough these days.

They did the recall on my car earlier this year assuming they actually replace the part and didn't just cut the wires to the valve heater...honestly haven't checked. Wouldn't surprise me if the goons at the dealer have something to do with these issues.
    Last edited by nvallettejr; 09-19-2018 at 11:21 PM.

My Cars
    The recall isn't related to your issue. The recall replaces the blow-by heater only. This is the 90 degree elbow that plugs into the underside of the intake manifold. There is a wiring connector, nobody is cutting any wires.

You could have the dealer replace your valve cover at the same time, but don't expect a discount. There really isn't any overlap between the two.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician