Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Leclerc to Ferrari, Raikkonen to Sauber for 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,668
    My Cars
    BMW & Lotus

    Leclerc to Ferrari, Raikkonen to Sauber for 2019

    Guess it's official now, Ferrari is dumping Kimi next year for Leclerc. I thought for sure Kimi would retire if he didn't get another extension at Ferrari. Leclerc certainly looked strong earlier this year but the last few races he's kind of leveled out or dropped off a bit. He could have used another year at Sauber or even Haas, IMO.

    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...konen/3174725/
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '01 M3 - Imola Red/Black

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport



    At least we'll see him in a Sauber, but still...


    I honestly don't get why they're doing this now? They need a "wingman" for Vettel if they want him to win the championship, a role that Kimi plays extremely well. Kimi and Sebastian have a phenomenal relationship, with Vettel saying multiple times that he'd prefer Kimi as a teammate. Is Leclerc going to play that same role next year? Are they going to lose a championship when Leclerc rams Vettel from behind due to inexperience?

    I get that Leclerc is their future, by why not wait until next year and if Vettel doesn't bring it home, let him go and bring in two new guys if you're going to rebuild?

    I like Leclerc and think he could be the next Scuderia Champion, but I feel like this is too early.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    BKLYN, NY
    Posts
    8,472
    My Cars
    1998 M3/4/6
    I feel like it might be about $$$. Why pay Raikkonen millions of dollars when you can pay Leclerc hundred thousands...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    It's full of stars
    Posts
    2,576
    My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Looks like a Sauber hat is in my future.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,668
    My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post



    At least we'll see him in a Sauber, but still...


    I honestly don't get why they're doing this now? They need a "wingman" for Vettel if they want him to win the championship, a role that Kimi plays extremely well. Kimi and Sebastian have a phenomenal relationship, with Vettel saying multiple times that he'd prefer Kimi as a teammate. Is Leclerc going to play that same role next year? Are they going to lose a championship when Leclerc rams Vettel from behind due to inexperience?

    I get that Leclerc is their future, by why not wait until next year and if Vettel doesn't bring it home, let him go and bring in two new guys if you're going to rebuild?

    I like Leclerc and think he could be the next Scuderia Champion, but I feel like this is too early.
    Agreed with all of the above. Ferrari must be using their race strategist to pick the driver lineups.

    So then if Stroll goes to FI, does Ocon go to Williams for a year? It's the only team left with Merc ties. No one else will take him because of that.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '01 M3 - Imola Red/Black

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post
    Agreed with all of the above. Ferrari must be using their race strategist to pick the driver lineups.

    So then if Stroll goes to FI, does Ocon go to Williams for a year? It's the only team left with Merc ties. No one else will take him because of that.
    Does Ocon bring $$$$ with him? I think those are the only drivers Williams can afford right now...

    Sad how far that team has fallen.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    7,424
    My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Does Ocon bring $$$$ with him? I think those are the only drivers Williams can afford right now...

    Sad how far that team has fallen.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Ocon brings no monies. RB won’t give him a ride because Mercedes. Renault LoL.


    Williams put themselves in their current position, much as McLaren has done to themselves.


    Kimi hasn’t been competitive in several years. He should’ve blocked Ham and let Vettel through to run away from the field. Ham would’ve eventually passed Kimi, but never catch Vettel.
    Social media weaponizes blandness - Sebastian Junger

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    317
    My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG
    Strange for a WDC to go to a backmarker. At least with Alonso, Mclaren had a good budget and Honda backing. He must really need the dough

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by hc1001 View Post
    I feel like it might be about $$$. Why pay Raikkonen millions of dollars when you can pay Leclerc hundred thousands...
    Because they care about having their drivers winning another WDC, and Kimi gave Ferrari their best chance of obtaining that by helping Vettel every race.

    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Ocon brings no monies. RB won’t give him a ride because Mercedes. Renault LoL.


    Williams put themselves in their current position, much as McLaren has done to themselves.


    Kimi hasn’t been competitive in several years. He should’ve blocked Ham and let Vettel through to run away from the field. Ham would’ve eventually passed Kimi, but never catch Vettel.
    While not a threat to win the WDC on his own anymore, Kimi is most certainly competitive... Podiums in 5 of the last 6 races, pole at Monza, 3rd in Constructor standings, and has given up a lot of points due to car failure and Ferrari's horrendous strategies to favor Vettel.

    As for the Monza incident, the prevailing thought it that all Ferrari contracts have the provision that anyone who takes pole can race for the win. That's likely why Vettel was so upset with the team when Kimi got pole instead of him, because it meant he would actually have to race Kimi instead of getting his help the whole race. I'm a fan of Vettel too, and I understand team orders, but that's entirely on him and not Kimi.

    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Strange for a WDC to go to a backmarker. At least with Alonso, Mclaren had a good budget and Honda backing. He must really need the dough
    I don't think Sauber is destined to be a backmarker for much longer. With Leclerc scoring points they've proven it's worlds better than the McLaren and Williams, and with Kimi behind the wheel I bet they'll consistently be scoring points and fighting with FI/Haas next year. I really think this is them gearing up to have Sauber as their "B Team" from now on.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    2,996
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Strange for a WDC to go to a backmarker. At least with Alonso, Mclaren had a good budget and Honda backing. He must really need the dough
    Sauber is not a backmarker anymore. Should be getting to be in the top 6. McLaren and Williams bottom 2, then TR Honda if they keep Hartley; Renault, Haas, Force I, Sauber in the mix, specially if Sauber get more help from Ferrari

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    478
    My Cars
    E36 / 2002 / XJ / DR350
    Would have preferred Kimi & Leclerc.

    Vettel is a snooze.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,668
    My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    It's just crazy to think Williams and McLaren are basically the two worst teams at the moment.

    I have to admit it will be interesting to see what Kimi will do when he isn't being held back by crap strategy or team orders.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '01 M3 - Imola Red/Black

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post
    I have to admit it will be interesting to see what Kimi will do when he isn't being held back by crap strategy or team orders.
    I'm also looking forward to this! I hope Sauber develops a closer relationship to Ferrari, not only for the good of the sport, but because I would *love* to see Kimi in that beautiful Alfa Romeo car fighting with the rest of the mid pack every race next year


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlestown, MA
    Posts
    3,708
    My Cars
    2003 C4S, 2005 X5 4.8is
    Wow. I too thought Kimi would leave F1 altogether if he was dropped by Ferrari. At least Sauber will be a midfield competitor, as opposed to Williams or McLaren. Great points by everyone above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    317
    My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post
    It's just crazy to think Williams and McLaren are basically the two worst teams at the moment.

    I have to admit it will be interesting to see what Kimi will do when he isn't being held back by crap strategy or team orders.
    Kimi is not in his prime anymore. His qualy and race pace is poor and he may show up maybe once or twice a season. Only his WDC status makes him relevant. He shoudve retired.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    2,531
    My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Kimi is not in his prime anymore. His qualy and race pace is poor and he may show up maybe once or twice a season. Only his WDC status makes him relevant. He shoudve retired.
    Recent results would seem to contradict that.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!


    Elva Courier build thread here!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,668
    My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Kimi is not in his prime anymore. His qualy and race pace is poor and he may show up maybe once or twice a season. Only his WDC status makes him relevant. He shoudve retired.
    Poor compared to what? Must not be that poor if he's 3rd in the WDC and has more podium finishes than his teammate.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '01 M3 - Imola Red/Black

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    317
    My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG
    Best car on the grid and zero wins.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    It's full of stars
    Posts
    2,576
    My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Best car on the grid and zero wins.
    Well, you're a stupid face.

    So there.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Best car on the grid and zero wins.
    If Ferrari put Kimi on Vettel's strategy I have little doubt that he'd have nearly as many wins as Vettel.

    Right now the biggest things holding Ferrari back is their terrible strategy team that seems incapable of making adjustments, and Vettel's own mistakes.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Kimi having fun at the presser :ROFL

    .

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hopewell Junction, NY
    Posts
    2,531
    My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    Well, you're a stupid face.

    So there.


    Rekt
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!


    Elva Courier build thread here!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    317
    My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    If Ferrari put Kimi on Vettel's strategy I have little doubt that he'd have nearly as many wins as Vettel.

    Right now the biggest things holding Ferrari back is their terrible strategy team that seems incapable of making adjustments, and Vettel's own mistakes.
    He's almost always behind, he will not get the better strategy

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    493
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    He's almost always behind, he will not get the better strategy
    I know, my statement was based on the hypothetical "what if" they put Kimi on the better strategy? With this years car finally having the upper hand over Mercedes, I believe Kimi would have a couple more W's to his name.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    5,009
    My Cars
    4.6iS|4.8iS|M5|RRS/C
    So if Kimi were the consistently faster driver, and they then put him on the lead driver strategy, he would win more races? I guess that does make some sense.


    I love Kimi. Kimi is a fast driver. To say that he is as fast or faster than Vettel consistently ​is disingenuous at best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ferrari may bail out Sauber for Alfa Romeo to return to F1
    By RidgeBack in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 09:36 PM
  2. Raikkonen to retire - Alonso to Ferrari!
    By marko666 in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
  3. Raikkonen extends Ferrari deal to 2010
    By jkuper in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
  4. Raikkonen confident of Ferrari comeback
    By Kevlar in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 07:20 AM
  5. 'Raikkonen signed five-year deal at Ferrari'
    By Tyrmeltr in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •