RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Bmw white smoke on startup then stops after accelerating

My Cars
    Bmw 520d

Bmw white smoke on startup then stops after accelerating

Hi all, i have a bmw 520d. When i leave the car over night or when it has been sat for a while when im at work i start it and it has a misfire with lots of white smoke. I accelerate the engine once or twice when and the smoke clears and does not come back until the car has been off and cooled down for a while. I have changed the glow plugs this had no affect maybe even made it slightly worse in the morning. Please help

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Does the white smoke have a diesel smell or an engine oil smell?

Not all 520d are alike, so you will have to help us with details.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Bmw 520d
    I think its more of a diesel smell but not 100% sure. Its defintly got a chemical type smell. Its the e60 model n47 engine 2.0l 177bhp version

- - - Updated - - -

I have checked oil filler cap there is no oil/water mixture gunk. No warnings on the idrive and no fault codes when i plug in my diagnostic scanner.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpwright01 View Post
    I think its more of a diesel smell but not 100% sure. Its defintly got a chemical type smell. Its the e60 model n47 engine 2.0l 177bhp version

- - - Updated - - -

I have checked oil filler cap there is no oil/water mixture gunk. No warnings on the idrive and no fault codes when i plug in my diagnostic scanner.
    "white smoke" is a classic head gasket seepage clue, burned coolant/water, seals as engine warms and unseals when cooled, relieve the system pressure after next drive,see if less smoke on next startup.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    In a diesel it could easily be unburned diesel vapor too, especially if it stops so quickly.

I would use diagnostics to find out which cylinder/s are rough and pull the injectors. Is check engine light on?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Bmw 520d
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    "white smoke" is a classic head gasket seepage clue, burned coolant/water, seals as engine warms and unseals when cooled, relieve the system pressure after next drive,see if less smoke on next startup.
    Hi thanks for the reply. I relieved pressure last night the smoke is the same this morning. No mayo type stuff in the oil fill cap but i did see a tiny stream of bubbles in coolant reservoir. Would the car not run weird if head gasket was blowing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    In a diesel it could easily be unburned diesel vapor too, especially if it stops so quickly.

I would use diagnostics to find out which cylinder/s are rough and pull the injectors. Is check engine light on?
    Hi thanks for the reply there is no check engine light and no faults on the idrive car runs great after the smoke has cleared

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpwright01 View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply. I relieved pressure last night the smoke is the same this morning. No mayo type stuff in the oil fill cap but i did see a tiny stream of bubbles in coolant reservoir. Would the car not run weird if head gasket was blowing

- - - Updated - - -

Hi thanks for the reply there is no check engine light and no faults on the idrive car runs great after the smoke has cleared
    bubbles in the tank is another classic HG clue, you might get lucky with a can of Bars leak, I've seen it work maybe 1/3 of the time, retorqueing head bolts can help..

My Cars
    Bmw 520d
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    bubbles in the tank is another classic HG clue, you might get lucky with a can of Bars leak, I've seen it work maybe 1/3 of the time, retorqueing head bolts can help..
    Thank you for the reply, it is going to a garage today to get a head gasket diagnostics. The thought of putting a permanent gasket sealant into my engine scares me too much i have a feeling it will block holes that shouldnt be blocked. Whats your thoughts on this?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That head gasket sealer in scan will clog up the cooling system. Don’t do it.

My Cars
    Bmw 520d
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    That head gasket sealer in scan will clog up the cooling system. Don’t do it.
    Thats what i though not worth the risk as i actually want to keep the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to the garage he seems to think ita not gaskets but turbo related. Wouldnt it constantly smoke if the seals was on the way out? After more research i am leaning towards bad valve stem seals any thoughts on this

My Cars
    Bmw 520d
    I changed the oil and filter over the weekend. When i was under the car i noticed oil and soot running down the pipe coming from the turbo. Does that mean that i have an oil leak in the turbo?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yup! The turbo’s oil seals are bad. Replace the turbo with a rebuilt unit.

My Cars
    Bmw 520d
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Yup! The turbo’s oil seals are bad. Replace the turbo with a rebuilt unit.
    Wouldnt it constantly smoke if the turbo is leaking oil? It only smokes in the morning or when left for a few hours to cool. Smoke goes away as soon as i drive away